U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 09:39 AM

217 posts, read 716,101 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how everyone was moving your pets across country. We had a small dog (pug) that will ride with us in the car and that shouldn't be too bad. But we also have two cats and are not sure what to do. We can't take them in the car (litter box) and the fact we will be taking about 12 days to get across from Oregon to NC. We looked into shipping them on an airline but it was over 200 each and they will not ship if the airplane is going anywhere that has a temp. of over 70 degrees. (which means we would have to wait until what, Oct???

So for right now it looks like we are going to have to find new homes for them. Unless anyone has any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 10:08 AM

1,398 posts, read 5,927,315 times
That's ridiculous to think of re-homing instead of travel. Here's the FAA rule: between May and Oct., the temperature has to be below 85, or 80 or 75, depending on the airline. One finds a non-stop night flight. Simple. I just shipped a puppy following these guidelines. Also, a legal cat carrier shouldn't be that price to ship, it should be lower.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:22 AM

Pug or snub-nosed dogs and cats are not hot-weather animals and therefore do not thrive in warm temperatures. As a precaution, Delta will not accept them as checked baggage or as air cargo if the temperature on any part of their trip exceeds 70 degrees F.

The MINIMUM rate is $153. We have two cats and they have to be shipped in seperate kennels. This is from the Delta air cargo site. We have to do air cargo instead of check baggage because we will not be flying with the animals.

It is unfair of you to say that it "it's ridiculous to think of re-homing instead of travel" We are not just dumping the cats off. If we were, I would not be here posting for ideas!!! That is why I am ASKING for ideas!! Why don't you give advice instead of critiziting me?? Like WHAT airline did you use??? And just because the FAA has those guidelines does not mean the airlines do not have their own guidelines. The FAA is minimum guidelines.

Now if anyone has ADVICE or HELP with our problem I would love to hear some ideas since I DON"T want to give up our kitties. But as I have no experiance in shipping animals or moving across country I am not sure what the options are.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:33 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,030,878 times
I have a friend that vacations once a year up north and it is usually a two or three day drive. She takes her cat with her. She keeps her in a roomy pet carrier and stops every few hours to let her use the litter box. The carrier has a water bowl that does not tip over so she is covered there. She keeps the litter box in a garbage bag to prevent spillage and cleans it when the cat goes. She also has a cat harness so she can let the cat walk around and stretch a few times a day. She brings her familiar toys and bedding. She said she never lets the cat out in the car when they are driving so she can't distract who is driving. Most hotels allow small pets so that isn't a problem. It works for her but she did tell me she checked with her vet about travelling and what to bring and what to do. Also, the vet told her to make sure the cat had flea and tick protection so she was safe when walking outside.

They eat in the car so they don't leave the cat alone in a hot car and takes turns at pit stops.

For a long trip I would check with your vet and get his/her suggestions.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:36 AM

336 posts, read 360,134 times
I brought my cat from MN in the front of the moving truck. Started off with him in a cat carrier. Let him out of the carrier a few hours later and he just hid under the seats while I drove. When I stopped at a hotel for the night I left him in the truck with his litter box, some food, and water. It was no problem.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:41 AM

286 posts, read 1,479,916 times
Hi. I read in another thread that you will be driving a minivan across country, is that correct? If so, I know it may be unpleasant to have a large crate with a litterbox in the van with you but IMHO it would be a better option than giving up the kitties. You just may need to pull the van over and remove the origin of any offensive odors that occur.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:45 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,037,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp
I was wondering how everyone was moving your pets across country. We had a small dog (pug) that will ride with us in the car and that shouldn't be too bad. But we also have two cats and are not sure what to do. We can't take them in the car (litter box) and the fact we will be taking about 12 days to get across from Oregon to NC. We looked into shipping them on an airline but it was over 200 each and they will not ship if the airplane is going anywhere that has a temp. of over 70 degrees. (which means we would have to wait until what, Oct???

So for right now it looks like we are going to have to find new homes for them. Unless anyone has any ideas???

Hey there Chimp-just throwing more ideas your way. When we came out (in February) from CA to SC...we all flew...our dog and cat inlucded (airline approved crates), the vet had given us some sedatives to give them...and they did just fine (I do realize you are dealing with warmer weather though). Someone else I know (again coming from CA to SC) who has 6 cats used a Pet Relocation Company (and were pleased)....if you are interested in that...I will try and get in touch with her and see who the company was. Good Luck to you!

Old 08-03-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehi
Hi. I read in another thread that you will be driving a minivan across country, is that correct? If so, I know it may be unpleasant to have a large crate with a litterbox in the van with you but IMHO it would be a better option than giving up the kitties. You just may need to pull the van over and remove the origin of any offensive odors that occur.

That is the plan (travel in minivan) We have thought about that and it is still the main possibility. But I have to say...our cats do not have the best aim. I have had to clean cat pee off the wall (up to THREE feet!! I kid you not) I don't even want to know how they got it up that high! One of our cats would be easy to travel with (really laid back) but the other one is a whiner. She howls the WHOLE time we are in the car! And they are both indoor animals. I am just worried about the trip. Hubby and myself, an 11yr old, a three year old, a pug (that also get very excited and yowly in the car), two cats and all the stuff we will need to the trip (12-14 days) and about a week in nc before our stuff arrives, all in ONE car.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
Hey there Chimp-just throwing more ideas your way. When we came out (in February) from CA to SC...we all flew...our dog and cat inlucded (airline approved crates), the vet had given us some sedatives to give them...and they did just fine (I do realize you are dealing with warmer weather though). Someone else I know (again coming from CA to SC) who has 6 cats used a Pet Relocation Company (and were pleased)....if you are interested in that...I will try and get in touch with her and see who the company was. Good Luck to you!

That would be great!! What airline did you use???

Thanks!!

Old 08-03-2006, 10:59 AM

286 posts, read 1,479,916 times
If you Google "pet transport" you will find several options. I haven't checked any of them out but it sounded like cost was an issue for you (maybe I misunderstood) and I suspect they will cost substantially more than putting them in cargo on a regular flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or