Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2006, 12:53 PM

6 posts, read 27,667 times

Advertisements

Hi- my husband and I are looking to move to NC. We're from LI,new york and need some help. We have 3 kids and have been looking in the raleigh area as well as Cary. We have been told Cary has excellent schools. We are coming from a top rated school here, and really need the same. We need a school that is strong in giving services(sp-ed), as my son utilizes those services here, we get very good services here.
Why are we leaving you may ask? Ahh, way too expensive,we need to get out.My husband is in sales-marketing. I've researched the areas and they seem to be strong in the tech industry? We will be visiting the areas soon,so any help would be grately appreciated-brutal honesty would be welcomed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 12:57 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
I am actually selling my home in Apex and honestly the only thing I will miss here is my kids schools. Middle Creek Elementary has been amazing in helping my son with his Speech and reading special education. And Middle Creek high has bent over backwards to help my son graduate. I will really miss those schools and really dont know if I will ever find better. Good Luck in your move.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:59 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
I would suggest someplace that isn't Cary. Apex or Morrisville perhaps. Cary is ridiculous. It's more expensive than the rest of the area by far, has ridiculous regulations and limits, and for no real reason. There is no sense in buying a house in Cary for schools because there are no "cary schools", everything is part of the Wake County school system. If you feel like paying 400k for a house you could get for 250k one town over; then go ahead and move to Cary; otheriwise; there are much more reasonable areas. While I belive all of Wake County is overrated; Cary is light years ahead of the rest in that category.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,058 times
I'm orginally from NY and have lived in Asheville for many years. I love NC. I'd never move back to NY.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:24 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,864 times
I am sorry...but when I saw the title of this thread....I just got a huge smile on my face (nope...not a one)

Old 08-03-2006, 03:25 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrice
Hi- my husband and I are looking to move to NC. We're from LI,new york and need some help. We have 3 kids and have been looking in the raleigh area as well as Cary. We have been told Cary has excellent schools. We are coming from a top rated school here, and really need the same. We need a school that is strong in giving services(sp-ed), as my son utilizes those services here, we get very good services here.
Why are we leaving you may ask? Ahh, way too expensive,we need to get out.My husband is in sales-marketing. I've researched the areas and they seem to be strong in the tech industry? We will be visiting the areas soon,so any help would be grately appreciated-brutal honesty would be welcomed

I do wish you luck with your search!

Old 08-03-2006, 09:11 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,216 times
You've already been given great advice on Cary. I second that. Brutal honesty? Jobs are not plentiful and do not pay well compared to the north. North Carolina places a huge emphasis on the community college and University system and it's difficult to get a low paying Secretarial position without a college degree.

There is a shortage of nurses in the state and they always seem to be in great demand.

The locals may be wary of you at first, they're understandably tired of people moving here to "get away from it all" and then trying to turn NC into what they left. The Triangle area has long been more cosmopolitan than other areas of the state, but it's also more crowded, more heavily trafficked, higher crime rate, etc. I wouldn't live there, but that's me. ( I'm from Chapel Hill, btw, although I don't live there either;-) I like room in the country without neighbors on top of me :-)

NC does have some great benefits. Many of the people are salt of the earth, would give you the shirts off their back kinda folks once they get to know you. The winters are mild compared to LI, summers are warmer <g> and it's probably cheaper than LI. The pace of life is slower and there is a lot to see and do.

BUT, do your research. In reading these forums, I see many people who think that NC will be some kind of magic cure for all of the ills in another area.

I don't believe that's true.

Many things in life are a trade-off. I would suggest that you really do your homework, and then decide if it's worth the trade-off to you.

Best wishes in making your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrice
Hi- my husband and I are looking to move to NC. We're from LI ,new york and need some help. We have 3 kids and have been looking in the raleigh area as well as Cary. We have been told Cary has excellent schools. We are coming from a top rated school here, and really need the same. We need a school that is strong in giving services(sp-ed), as my son utilizes those services here, we get very good services here.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:09 PM

333 posts, read 1,201,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie
You've already been given great advice on Cary. I second that. Brutal honesty? Jobs are not plentiful and do not pay well compared to the north. North Carolina places a huge emphasis on the community college and University system and it's difficult to get a low paying Secretarial position without a college degree.
I am interested in some clarity on your jobs comment. When I do a search on Charlotte or Raleigh on jobs (monster.com etc) I get a lot of results, a lot. Only area I see more are cities of >1.5-2M+ in population. For its size it seems to offer a lot of jobs (around the major cities, not speaking of the state as a whole or rural areas). Granted I have a relatively narrow search (not nursing or medical though), and am only looking at job prospects for my field, but both communities seem to have (per capita) a lot of jobs, considering neither is a "major metro" area the likes of a Chicago, Houston, DC, Atlanta, etc. Also I read a lot of news of companies moving either their headquarters or large satellite offices to the area. So for each "office" of professionals that moves down there is a boomerang effect, in the near term, construction, trades, etc - in the long run restaurants, retail, service (for every X amount of people that move to an area you need 1 more accountant to help them with their taxes etc) So I am unclear on your statement or if you were referring to a specific field when you say lack of jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina