U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,044 times

Advertisements

It is great to read the good things about NC, my husband isn't to sure about going there. How are the trades out there, he is a Painting Contractor. We are looking at the Traingle area. Anyone know which are the best schools? We have twin boys 10yrs. old/4th grade. Any good advice for setting up Bus. there versus the hassle it is in Ca. to start up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 04:54 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,860,093 times
10 years old and in the 4th grade? Do kids start school later in California or something? Anyways. There are a lot of people from California moving here; biggest complaint I here is the humidity. Schools; might as well draw a name from a hat. No matter where in Wake County you move you are in the same school district, which can be changed often. Everyone has access to a schoolbus so you shouldn't have a problem there.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:33 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,978,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkym
It is great to read the good things about NC, my husband isn't to sure about going there. How are the trades out there, he is a Painting Contractor. We are looking at the Traingle area. Anyone know which are the best schools? We have twin boys 10yrs. old/4th grade. Any good advice for setting up Bus. there versus the hassle it is in Ca. to start up?

We moved here a year ago,my husband was a residential remodeling contractor needless to say we are moving to AZ.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:47 PM

463 posts, read 1,515,707 times
The trades are *extremely* competitive and the pay isn't great. Since NC seems to have a board and requires certification and licensing for many of the trades, I would suggest that your husband check into those things before you make the move. I honestly don't know what is required of Painting Contractors.

Here is a general link on starting a new business in NC.

http://www.commerce.state.nc.us/servicenter/blio/startup/ (broken link)

Sorry, I can't help with schools in the Triangle area. Perhaps someone else can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkym

Old 08-03-2006, 09:28 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,564,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1
We moved here a year ago,my husband was a residential remodeling contractor needless to say we are moving to AZ.
Anything good to say?

Old 08-04-2006, 12:35 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,459,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1
Sad to hear it. Although, I hope you've done your homework. Some parts of AZ are so saturated at this point with new construction options. I guess it all depends on where you'll be relocating. Amazing the growth AZ has experienced, however.

I do love the Williams area and everything around Sedona to the Grand Canyon. There are opportunities galore there.

As for leaving NC. I've been studying the market out there, and I honestly think that there will be a resurgence there and definitely opportunity for remodelers. A shame we did not move earlier and met you and your hubby, we probably could have gone in on some remodeling opportunities. Maybe even some ground up ops as well.

I say this because I have invested with my friends, who are builders, in projects out here in CA. And they have been rather successful. Tough out here though because so much capital must be raised. But out there in NC, yes, there are oppportunities. Just takes some good tradespeople, businesspeople and marketuers (the latter two being what I excel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
Anything good to say?
I would comment, but I am not yet a resident. Will be in two weeks. However, I do know that compared to CA, the traffic is much more manageable and it appears that using my blinkers there does actually work at encouraging others to yield the lane space. Nice!

Old 08-04-2006, 01:46 AM

124 posts, read 472,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy
I would comment, but I am not yet a resident. Will be in two weeks. However, I do know that compared to CA, the traffic is much more manageable and it appears that using my blinkers there does actually work at encouraging others to yield the lane space. Nice!
I know what you mean I hate to use my blinker anymore out here in NorCal because the second you do some A-hole behind you speeds up to make sure you don't get over. It is like seeing a blinker triggers the acceleration pedal to be pushed to the floor like you are trying to get one over on them or something... very odd. Not sure what the deal with people is, perhaps everyone is just stressed out.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:13 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,459,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadetroit
Not sure what the deal with people is, perhaps everyone is just stressed out.
Because we are spoiled here in CA and have it all, so we must create reasons to be stressed. I dunno. Seems like we're always in a race to go somewhere and no one wants to come in less than first place. The most stressful and upsetting part of California. Sure, I encountered a number of tailgators out there in NC, but compared to CA, the drivers there are quite courteous.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:25 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,161,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy
Sad to hear it. Although, I hope you've done your homework. Some parts of AZ are so saturated at this point with new construction options. I guess it all depends on where you'll be relocating. Amazing the growth AZ has experienced, however.
Contractors with strong businesses and generations of history are getting out of that arena. Waggoner Construction, of Salisbury, is one of them. 90 years that business existed. Last year there was an article in the Salisbury Post that the current Waggoner running the business was folding the construction part. He planned to switch to development and real estate. He simply could not profitably compete with the Florida, California and NE people who were moving in on his territory. 40 local workers, many of whom had been with his company for decades, lost their jobs

Old 08-04-2006, 05:32 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,978,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
Anything good to say?
Yea, it is really pretty here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina