Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:04 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,912,210 times

Advertisements

What I can't stand is when I'm running 60-65mph on a two lane in a 55mph zone and someone gets on my ass. If I could and get away with it, I would slam on brakes, let them hit me, take out a baseball bat and proceed in beating their car to pieces. If they had anything to say about, I would probably beat them as well.

Damnit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 09:21 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
What I can't stand is when I'm running 60-65mph on a two lane in a 55mph zone and someone gets on my ass. If I could and get away with it, I would slam on brakes, let them hit me, take out a baseball bat and proceed in beating their car to pieces. If they had anything to say about, I would probably beat them as well.

Damnit.
I'm not about violence, but boy have I dreamt of doing this.

I live in western NC, and hands down, the people who drive in this region are some of the worst drivers I've ever seen.

I've lived all over too, and like the OP, experience those superb driving skills from others on a daily basis.
I want that bumper sticker that says "free airbag test - come a little closer".

Old 05-06-2010, 11:04 AM

621 posts, read 2,217,901 times
Coming from S. Florida, I have to agree with others about driving here--drivers are really nice. However, I do feel that there are some VERY incompetent drivers here due to the "slow" way of life as previously mentioned as well.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:36 PM

I think for a lot of us, or least other locals I've joked around with about this, is just the complete and utter lack of driving skills in general. Especially when it comes to using simple common sense and courtesy for the well-being and lives of all that are on the same road(s).

For me it isn't so much the fast/slow thing -- though I tend to get on edge when someone is driving dangerously erratic around me when my kids are in the car... but more of the no blinker, riding an inch away from your car, the no looking over the shoulder before changing lanes, the flipping you off, etc. It's as if life is so disposable. Such a scary thing to share the road with that mentality.

I came from the Bay Area, California. I'd thought I'd seen it all. Until I moved here...

Old 05-06-2010, 12:51 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycandy View Post
I think for a lot of us, or least other locals I've joked around with about this, is just the complete and utter lack of driving skills in general. Especially when it comes to using simple common sense and courtesy for the well-being and lives of all that are on the same road(s).

For me it isn't so much the fast/slow thing -- though I tend to get on edge when someone is driving dangerously erratic around me when my kids are in the car... but more of the no blinker, riding an inch away from your car, the no looking over the shoulder before changing lanes, the flipping you off, etc. It's as if life is so disposable. Such a scary thing to share the road with that mentality.

I came from the Bay Area, California. I'd thought I'd seen it all. Until I moved here...

Ha ha,welcome to N.C.I am from the Central Coast,Calif. and it has taken some getting used to.My husband and i for the life of us cant figure it all out!
There is another thread going on like this and some people really do feel you need to move over even going over the speed limit.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Ha ha,welcome to N.C.I am from the Central Coast,Calif. and it has taken some getting used to.My husband and i for the life of us cant figure it all out!
There is another thread going on like this and some people really do feel you need to move over even going over the speed limit.
Hello fellow Californian. I feel better now.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:55 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
[quote=angrycandy;14064448]Hello fellow Californian. I feel better now. [/QUOTE

Hello to you too! Another hard thing to get used to and i dont know if you have noticed is how fast the truckers go and how ther are allowed to be in the left hand lane at any given time.I notice they switch lanes so much and speed like there is a fire to attend to.Once this is no lie, i was going to Charlotte on a Sat. morning and a Race Hauler was going over 85.This i know cause he flew by me and so i was trying to keep up to determine how fast he was going.Pretty scary considering how big those haulers are are the magnitude of an accident just because of speeding.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
The No Blinker thing isnt a North Carolina thing its a habit brought
by transplants
North Carolinians OVER use the blinker I was behind a guy,
Sunday in a parking garage who signal every turn in the parking deck.
Ill get behind someone who signals three blocks ahead.
Or the guy who his on because it goes with the beat of his music

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycandy View Post

Old 05-06-2010, 07:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Tesla View Post
I guess you missed the part where I said "Common Courtesy" and "Common Knowledge". BTW, there are signs posted throughout that say "slower traffic keep right".

I find it pretty to say "hmmm, well it's not the law here, so who gives a rip if I'm being inconsiderate and disrupting the flow of traffic.".
One would assume that drivers in a given state have "common knowledge" of the traffic laws of that state, and drive in a manner that comports with those laws. If drivers are driving at the speed limit, and another driver is speeding, then I don't see how failing to yield to that other driver's illegal driving equates to a lack of courtesy.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-06-2010 at 08:23 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 12:33 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
Coming from S. Florida, I have to agree with others about driving here--drivers are really nice. However, I do feel that there are some VERY incompetent drivers here due to the "slow" way of life as previously mentioned as well.
I guess the attitude has changed. Used to be people moved here because they hoped to adopt that "slow" mode of life, wanting to escape the stress and rush-rush "I GOTTA GET THERE FAST!" way of life found in so many other states. I lost county of how many times I read that on these very boards. Now, people expect to move here and make the rest of us who HAVE truly adopted and appreciate that way of life speed up to match your frenzy? Huh uh I'm issuing a general "UP YOURS!" to that.

I pretty much stay off the interstates; considering them death traps and routes used by the manic transplants; but the two lanes have definite speed limits that are meant for the safety of all using them. One never knows what kind of traffic will be encountered there. It's not surprising, the increased number of crosses and wayside shrines that have sprung up along those roads, considering the way numbnuts have decided that they should be equal to interstates in means of getting between points A and B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina