Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:34 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Tesla View Post
Well, FYI...I drive mostly in the surrounding counties OUTSIDE of Wake County, therefore making it MUCH more likely that it's NOT a "transplant", but indeed a carolina native. Driving slow does not save lives, it causes jam ups and interrupts the flow of traffic.
Odds are in Wake county and every one of the other 99 counties in NC, you may well find yourself behind a transplant, they are literally everywhere. We didn't increase in population by almost 17% in 9 years by people makin' babies.

Driving faster than the prevailing traffic is what causes accidents, you don't own the fast lane either, and NC troopers actively ticket aggressive driving, i.e. tailgating, flashing lights, etc. Slow down and enjoy a more serene life style, isn't that why you moved here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 07:32 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,527 times
Quote:
It seems to be a trend among the locals in this state to hold up traffic in the PASSING lane. Move over and stop jamming up the flow of traffic. Don't you realize that you are increasing the risk of an accident for you and those on the road with you? As soon as I pass someone, I move out of the passing lane...it's a habit and one that I am proud of. It's common knowledge, common courtesy, AND even the law in most places.

What also seems to be a trend around here is people speeding up when you try to pass them on a 2 lane highway. I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck behind someone doing 45-50 in a 55 MPH zone, yet when I go to pass them, I have to speed up to about 70 just to get by them. Not only do they speed up, but some have even put their brights on after I pass them. If you're going to go under the speed limit, why not let someone pass you and let them be on their way? For all this talk about "southern hospitality' or "friendly southerners" it sure doesn't show on the road.
Your post is SO right on I was laughing out loud reading it. Maddening, isn't it?

What we also noticed was the way people drove up any incline. They acted as though they were driving a semi in low gear and dragged going uphill, then sped past us like we were on jack stands on their way downhill. It drove us crazy!!!! We called them Carolidiots. LOL

That left lane blocking has gone national. It's legend here in Florida and we were shocked by it in southern Wisconsin.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:16 AM

364 posts, read 483,675 times
Quote:
Like I said, I've lived in a few different states and never saw anything like this until I moved here...thus giving me a clear indication that the problem comes from within the state (not from those coming in from out of state).
Consider yourself lucky. You've lived all over and have never seen anyone block the passing lane? Out of curiosity, which states were these with better driving natives?

I think most people here have also had driving experience in other states. I for one have never been shocked by how awesome/courteous the driving was elsewhere and cannot name a state where at least one major issue wasn't evident. (tailgating, rubbernecking, left lane blocking, not signaling, etc)

It's likely in these other states you haven't mentioned, someone here has had your same NC experience. I think it's safe to say you'll find at least one thread for every state complaining of poor and unsafe driving.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 AM

635 posts, read 3,092,438 times
Default There are crazy, inconsiderate, naive, ignorant, etc.... drivers everywhere.

Heh, I'm pretty sure one can find "Why are there such <insert complaint> drivers in <insert state>.... " threads in any of the various CD forums

I won't rehash all the prior posts, but NC has many natives, transplants, and some are better drivers than others. But I too have lived "all over" and I don't find NC any better or worse in general.

Now, for actual "traffic congestion"... NC has nothing to complain about if compared to many other areas, yet

Al

Old 05-19-2010, 08:29 PM

94 posts, read 248,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Odds are in Wake county and every one of the other 99 counties in NC, you may well find yourself behind a transplant, they are literally everywhere. We didn't increase in population by almost 17% in 9 years by people makin' babies.

Driving faster than the prevailing traffic is what causes accidents, you don't own the fast lane either, and NC troopers actively ticket aggressive driving, i.e. tailgating, flashing lights, etc. Slow down and enjoy a more serene life style, isn't that why you moved here
I think you need to read my post again...apparently you didn't comprehend one thing I was saying.

Its called driving the speed limit and keeping up with the flow of traffic and opening up the passing lanes by moving over if you aren't passing anyone.

How is passing someone in the PASSING lane and then moving over, "owning" the fast lane???

Slow down? If the speed limit is 55mph, then that is what I intend to drive. Go the speed limit...or move out of the passing lane and let people pass you without you getting road rage by clogging up the passing lane on an expressway or speeding up and turning on your brights on a 2 lane road.

Last edited by Nikola Tesla; 05-19-2010 at 08:39 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
Your post is SO right on I was laughing out loud reading it. Maddening, isn't it?

What we also noticed was the way people drove up any incline. They acted as though they were driving a semi in low gear and dragged going uphill, then sped past us like we were on jack stands on their way downhill. It drove us crazy!!!! We called them Carolidiots. LOL

That left lane blocking has gone national. It's legend here in Florida and we were shocked by it in southern Wisconsin.
So True!!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:59 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,351 times
The thing that annoyed me when I was in VA was the exact opposite. The way people would always ride their brakes going downhill.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:40 AM

22 posts, read 94,936 times
Default Where the worst drivers live

Well, according to the 2009 GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test which measures basic knowledge of driving laws, North Carolina was ranked as the 20th safest even beating out Michigan which came in at #22.

Didn’t you move here from Michigan Nickola? Oh by the way, California was near the bottom of the list at #48.

Hey, just throwing out some facts rather than perceptions.

Where the Worst Drivers Live- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

State Rankings
Note: Many states tied for the same position in the rankings.
1IDAHO
1WISCONSIN
3MONTANA
4KANSAS
5SOUTH DAKOTA
5NEBRASKA
7UTAH
8WYOMING
8IOWA
8OREGON
8MINNESOTA
12ALASKA
12NORTH DAKOTA
14VERMONT
15COLORADO
15MISSOURI
17OKLAHOMA
17WASHINGTON
19NEW MEXICO
20NORTH CAROLINA
21VIRGINIA
22INDIANA
22MICHIGAN
24ARKANSAS
24TEXAS
26ALABAMA

26NEVADA
28WEST VIRGINIA
29ILLINOIS
30ARIZONA
31MAINE
32DELAWARE
33NEW HAMPSHIRE
34OHIO
35KENTUCKY
36PENNSYLVANIA
37LOUISIANA
38TENNESSEE
38MISSISSIPPI
40SOUTH CAROLINA
40MARYLAND
42CONNECTICUT
43FLORIDA
44DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
45MASSACHUSETTS
46RHODE ISLAND
47GEORGIA
48CALIFORNIA
49HAWAII
50NEW JERSEY
51NEW YORK

Old 05-20-2010, 02:14 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpless View Post

State Rankings
50NEW JERSEY
51NEW YORK
Hmmm, and what states is it, again, that contribute the largest numbers of transplants to NC?

Old 05-24-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpless View Post
Well, according to the 2009 GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test which measures basic knowledge of driving laws, North Carolina was ranked as the 20th safest even beating out Michigan which came in at #22.

Didn’t you move here from Michigan Nickola? Oh by the way, California was near the bottom of the list at #48.

Hey, just throwing out some facts rather than perceptions.

Where the Worst Drivers Live- Yahoo! Autos Article Page
This has absolutely nothing to do with how people ACTUALLY DRIVE...this is based on WRITTEN drivers tests. Nice try though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina