Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,772,135 times

Advertisements

I was just on MSNBC and saw a link about people on national list do not have to register when they move to N.C. Somebody please find this story and post it here. some in Apex, Raleigh, etc..

i found the link: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/loopho...ry?id=10817427

Last edited by no kudzu; 06-03-2010 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: found link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 04:36 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,142,728 times
well thank goodness. between registering my car, the inspection, transferring plates, the highway use tax, etc., i'm really tired of registering for stuff.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:38 PM

I'm sorry but I see very little humor in this topic.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:47 PM

133 posts, read 624,904 times
I was also unaware of this and am glad to know that I need to check both the state and the national lists.

Thank you!

Old 06-03-2010, 04:52 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,631,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
well thank goodness. between registering my car, the inspection, transferring plates, the highway use tax, etc., i'm really tired of registering for stuff.
Poor taste, but funny. To the OP, thanks for sharing this info.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:57 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,142,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm sorry but I see very little humor in this topic.
i tried my best to show you some...

Old 06-03-2010, 07:44 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,719,836 times
The problem with "sex offender registries" is that some people who aren't really dangerous will show up on there--meanwhile dangerous people, such as arsonists, don't have to register at all. I would prefer that they create a registry for "dangerous criminals" of any stripe, than simply slapping anyone with a "quote unquote sex offense", which could and sometimes does include accidental indecent exposure (guy taking a leak gets seen by someone and arrested) or "solicitation" which often is set up, and ruin lives needlessly. I certainly agree that convicted pedophiles and rapists are dangerous, but again, so are arsonists, murderers, etc.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:08 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,450,858 times
see the following guidelines on page 6.........

http://ncdoj.gov/Protect-Yourself/Fi...gPrograms.aspx

Old 06-03-2010, 08:53 PM

118 posts, read 277,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The problem with "sex offender registries" is that some people who aren't really dangerous will show up on there--meanwhile dangerous people, such as arsonists, don't have to register at all. I would prefer that they create a registry for "dangerous criminals" of any stripe, than simply slapping anyone with a "quote unquote sex offense", which could and sometimes does include accidental indecent exposure (guy taking a leak gets seen by someone and arrested) or "solicitation" which often is set up, and ruin lives needlessly. I certainly agree that convicted pedophiles and rapists are dangerous, but again, so are arsonists, murderers, etc.
I see the point you are driving at, Francois, but stop and consider this: The Supreme Court itself has ruled special rules and considerations apply when dealing with juveniles and minors in the American C.J. system. Just as they have ruled that a Juvenile cannot be but to death by virtue of his age and mental immaturity, it only stands to reason that crimes perpetrated against children, sex crimes especially, should also be given special considerations in the application of punishment.

As a criminal justice professional myself, I have been in close contact and conversation with criminals for much of my adult life. I am totally convinced that the "rehabilitation" or "correction" of a pedophile is virtually impossible. I feel the desire and fantasy they derive from this awful act is far too great to be overcame by modern rehab methods. And I believe that the sex offender registry is justified and needed in every state.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:37 PM

Francois- you may be right but in the mean time we have to work with what we have and this loophole is really dangerous and scary to those of us with young children. In fact you don't have to be a parent to have these concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina