Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2007, 06:44 PM

100 posts, read 419,986 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am moving to NC soon (as soon as I unload this property taxed to the max NJ home) and I wanted to hear from people that have moved from NJ and the tri-state area to NC about any main differences or changes. For example, any road rules that may be different, rules for putting up fences, etc. Is there anything that is so different that we should know about right off the bat? IS the humidty worse there than here? How is traffic? (can it be worse than route 287??) We are looking at the Raleigh area. Your input is so much appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 06:55 PM

10 posts, read 32,518 times
interested in the same things looking to get out of jersey soon

Old 06-17-2007, 06:58 PM

100 posts, read 419,986 times
you, me and half of NJ!!! Shame, I will miss it here. (

Old 06-17-2007, 07:29 PM

460 posts, read 2,417,333 times
NJ was sold out from under you to builders with no leash and now everyone has to pay for it. Funny I see the same thing happening here in NC. I can just see us all looking to leave here in 5 years, where then?

Old 06-17-2007, 11:34 PM

47 posts, read 206,508 times
Default getting more like NJ daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Leave Penciltucky View Post
NJ was sold out from under you to builders with no leash and now everyone has to pay for it. Funny I see the same thing happening here in NC. I can just see us all looking to leave here in 5 years, where then?
Just returned from 2 weeks in Asheville area and can see the writing on the wall--this area is quickly changing, as did South Jersey, into sprawling, over-developed housing tracts and strip malls. Roads and highways aren't ready for the population increase and while no roads match the horrors of 287, 78, 80 or the GSP during rush hour, it won't be long before they do.

It's a shame, really, because this area is gorgeous. Mountains surround the city in 3 sides, lots of small towns and rural areas that are going to be bought out or enlarged. It's similar to what is happening now in Sussex and Warren counties in NJ.

I have friends in the RTP area (Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh) who say matters are worse there than in the mountains. Many people have moved in from up north and south (Florida) as well as Ca., and traffic, sprawl, higher prices, etc. follow.

That said, I still found Asheville area to be quite charming, highly livable, fabulous people, much slower pace than most parts of NJ, easy access to nature, strong sense of local culture.

I hope that the people in NC can press their officials to make the inevitable growth "smarter" and think of creative ways to plan for the growth by taking into consideration the needs and interests of all the people presently living there.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:10 PM

758 posts, read 2,281,083 times
If we ever sell and leave CA, we're taking little with us besides our clothes. Our new home in Pinebrook Farms, Weaverville, will have 1975 sq. ft. (and a bonus room for guests). Without children, we couldn't imagine living in anything bigger than that on top of some mountain you wind down for five or ten minutes to get a loaf of bread. And we'd definitely not spoil the mountains when there's SO much flat land available to live on. As retirees we're looking to live simply and "give back" now that we have the time and resources to do it. "Giving back" is the subject of an upcoming new post.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:48 PM

219 posts, read 850,738 times
Something to think about when deciding to leave or stay in NJ.
People in Haddon Heights NJ just were hit with a 40% tax increase. How about a $15,000.00 a year property tax bill. Haddon Heights is no a super affluent town. Just a small real nice town.
I guess I'm in a little different boat because the wife and I are 63 so there aren't too many years left for us.
Hopefully, in two months we will be living in NC.
For those who are younger and still living in NJ.............I do really feel for you. You may be able to handle the rampant corruption but can you afford the disgusting tax bills and lack of services returned?
Best of luck
Dennis

Old 06-21-2007, 01:02 PM

28 posts, read 84,519 times
I grew up in Philly and also Lived in Collingswood NJ and Ocean City NJ. I wouldn't move back if you paid me to. yes you can pump your own gas. yes the taxes are about half. yea the same road rules apply. and yes they do have a wonderful bunch of beaches. but no they ARE UNLIKE NJ IN ONE WAY. The people are the nicest and most trusting I've ever met. People actually smile here and mean it. AND you must visit the mountains and Boone NC for the most beautiful scenery in the east coast Appalachians. I don't miss a thing about NJ because i get the same but better right here. Just make sure you lose that frown on the way here.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:26 PM

954 posts, read 4,367,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy175 View Post
.I have friends in the RTP area (Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh) who say matters are worse there than in the mountains. Many people have moved in from up north and south (Florida) as well as Ca., and traffic, sprawl, higher prices, etc. follow.

That said, I still found Asheville area to be quite charming, highly livable, fabulous people, much slower pace than most parts of NJ, easy access to nature, strong sense of local culture.

I hope that the people in NC can press their officials to make the inevitable growth "smarter" and think of creative ways to plan for the growth by taking into consideration the needs and interests of all the people presently living there.
I lived in Western NC for 5 years, and my Mom still lives there about 30 miles from Asheville. A friend of mine is a real estate lawyer. He has had to triple his staff in the last two years to handle all the closings.
Smart Growth? One thing you will find about North Carolinians. The don't like much Government Interference. Unfortunately, even when it is for their own good.
If you travel to this higher stretches of the Parkway, you can already see the environmental impact of all the development.
While I grew up in Detroit, Western NC was always my home away from home (folks originally from there). I hate to see it ruined.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:10 PM

29 posts, read 95,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mphblues View Post
I grew up in Philly and also Lived in Collingswood NJ and Ocean City NJ. I wouldn't move back if you paid me to. yes you can pump your own gas. yes the taxes are about half. yea the same road rules apply. and yes they do have a wonderful bunch of beaches. but no they ARE UNLIKE NJ IN ONE WAY. The people are the nicest and most trusting I've ever met. People actually smile here and mean it. AND you must visit the mountains and Boone NC for the most beautiful scenery in the east coast Appalachians. I don't miss a thing about NJ because i get the same but better right here. Just make sure you lose that frown on the way here.
I have to laugh. My husband and I are both from NJ and he didn't know how to take people waving to him for no reason other than to be friendly. It actually freaked him out for the first few weeks.

I also don't miss NJ (except for some of my oldest friends, but that's what vacations are for).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina