U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2010, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,330 posts, read 12,162,676 times
Reputation: 2600

Advertisements

Oh gods yes, the deerflies west of Hansboro and up toward the Peace Park -- what do they call a busload of kids??

A: Sardines!

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Sector 001
7,145 posts, read 5,953,480 times
Reputation: 8068
honestly if I had money and could live anywhere it would be in northern WI or the upper panhandle of MI. Forget about state regulations, nobody's gonna bug you up there. If you don't work for someone else, which you probably don't since you're considering ND over SD which has no state income tax, really what kind of laws could they possibly pass that would be that damaging?

The advantages, such as having access to far more wood for fires, and fresh underground springs, outweigh any negatives. The woods provide seclusion and make the area seem much more private and isolated then it already is.

Somewhere like Ensign, MI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 09:56 PM
 
1,891 posts, read 2,180,158 times
Reputation: 909
WI and MI? Might be good, but I haven't been to the rural areas in both states. I know WI has tough gun laws which I despise. I don't know about Michigan. I don't like that state too much.

These days, any law could be damaging. you can't just go out on your porch, put on boots, and chop a tree without pissing someone off anymore.

I hadn't thought hard about trees in N.D. I know they are scarce. I do need firewood, obviously. Hmm. How deep does one have to drill for water in N.D.? A underground spring would be a blessing, but that would mean $$$$ if both parties were aware there is one on the property.

The areas I've been looking are in east/NE N.D. where it's more prairie land. I believe the west is akin to intermountain west.

Ensign, MI looks like a very good place on paper. I might take a side note of this town and compare. Thanks for the plug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2010, 11:11 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,356 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Overall North Dakota tax burden is near the middle. I believe it ranks 33 out of the 50 states. Wyoming, Nevada, and Alaska have the least tax burden.

One thing I've noticed about ND that I don't like is the high property tax percentage rate (although other taxes are less to "make up for it"). In my case, I'll get around it by building a very small home, which should have a very low assessed value for tax purposes. One thing that helps with the high property tax percent is that (especially in smaller towns) actual property values are quite low compared to where the masses tend to move these days in other parts of the US. So even with the higher percent rate, the property's assessed value is quite low (this isn't so much the case in the bigger cities of ND, but in small towns and rural areas, it is). As an example, a raw city building lot in the area I live now (Utah) will be assessed routinely in the range of 30K to 60K. That's without a house!!! With a house, it's 150K to 350K (typical). The percent rate is lower here, but the assessed value is insane, which equals a property tax that is ridiculous--we're talking thousands of dollars per year for most folks. In small-town North Dakota, the assessed value is minuscule in comparison. So, even with the higher rate, the actual tax is really quite low. The tax for the raw building lot that I just purchased was $5 dollars last year!

I don't see any sort of exodus to North Dakota any time soon. I think the winter cold scares the hell out of most folks! Luckily, I understand what a coat and long underwear are for (but then, I like cold weather, anyway).

As for the cost of living in ND, yes, it seems to be fairly low. I know it's certainly lower than where I live now (all things considered).


My comment about Thorne, ND was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. It's a place that I researched a bit and had a very hard time finding any info on. It's a near ghost town with only a couple of homes, but was once a small town. There were a couple of building lots for sale there for insanely cheap (if you are interested, PM me and I'll direct you to the seller). Very cheap! But you gotta like ghosts!

As for small towns to look into, here are some that I've researched over the past year or two and found appealing--keep in mind that I'm basically looking for a 'sleepy' area with not many people. I'm looking for a place where there's "nothing to do" as far as what most entertainment-centered, big city folks enjoy :

Bottineau
Belcourt
Rolla (Thorne is fairly close to Belcourt, Rolla, and Rolette)
Willow City
Valley City
Linton
Ashley
Rugby
Park River
Hettinger (the first town I researched when I became interested in ND)

For the most part, I have concentrated on the north and northeast areas of the state because of the slightly cooler average summer temps (I HATE hot weather for extended periods of time). Also, property tends to be cheaper in those areas, since out west you have the oil boom and ridiculously inflated prices like many other parts of the US.



Anyway, good luck with your quest to escape the rat race!
Oh no! He said he doesn't want any diversity so... perhaps North Dakota wouldn't be the best place to move! This place (North Dakota) is crawling with diversity.... When you think "Dakota" (whether North or South..) think "Native Americans." Every town here is sprinkled with Native Americans. Someone suggested you look into towns near Belcourt.... consider the fact that Belcourt is on an "Indian" reservation. Theres quite a few of them in this state by the way.. reservations I mean...

Furthermore, due to the popularity of agriculture in this state; every year thousands of migrant workers (a.k.a "mexicans") come from near and far to toil in the fields. They find seasonal domiciles in the cities and small towns around the state.

I would also suggest staying far away from cities like: Fargo, Bismarck, Minot, Grand Forks, Wahpeton. These places attract many diverse people from around the world with their colleges, universities, employment opportunities and relatively safe neighborhoods. The cost of living is low in North Dakota so naturally that attracts many of the "unsavory" ethnic people as well...

North Dakota isn't all bad though. I'm highly confident their are microscopic towns in the middle of the prairie that have successfully purged itself of all diversity. So with that I will bid you ado.. just wanted to add that diversity is nearly inescapable... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2010, 12:25 AM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,366 posts, read 9,992,499 times
Reputation: 9114
Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Heat of the Night View Post
Oh no! He said he doesn't want any diversity so... perhaps North Dakota wouldn't be the best place to move! This place (North Dakota) is crawling with diversity.... When you think "Dakota" (whether North or South..) think "Native Americans." Every town here is sprinkled with Native Americans. Someone suggested you look into towns near Belcourt.... consider the fact that Belcourt is on an "Indian" reservation. Theres quite a few of them in this state by the way.. reservations I mean...

Furthermore, due to the popularity of agriculture in this state; every year thousands of migrant workers (a.k.a "mexicans") come from near and far to toil in the fields. They find seasonal domiciles in the cities and small towns around the state.

I would also suggest staying far away from cities like: Fargo, Bismarck, Minot, Grand Forks, Wahpeton. These places attract many diverse people from around the world with their colleges, universities, employment opportunities and relatively safe neighborhoods. The cost of living is low in North Dakota so naturally that attracts many of the "unsavory" ethnic people as well...

North Dakota isn't all bad though. I'm highly confident their are microscopic towns in the middle of the prairie that have successfully purged itself of all diversity. So with that I will bid you ado.. just wanted to add that diversity is nearly inescapable... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Who? The OP? I didn't notice. I know I didn't say that because diversity means next to nothing to me. I've never really considered it as I've been researching places to live. As long as I can keep the population down to a couple thousand or less people who mind their own business (actually, the fewer people, the better), the winters cold and snowy, and the summers with not so many days above 90, I'm happy... and I really don't care if there are little green men from mars living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2010, 12:55 AM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,330 posts, read 12,162,676 times
Reputation: 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
... and I really don't care if there are little green men from mars living there.
Silly human! Everyone knows little green men come from Alpha Centauri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2010, 07:37 AM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,366 posts, read 9,992,499 times
Reputation: 9114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Silly human! Everyone knows little green men come from Alpha Centauri.
Hmmmm... I always thought they had more of a blue-green tint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2010, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,330 posts, read 12,162,676 times
Reputation: 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Hmmmm... I always thought they had more of a blue-green tint.
Oh, you're thinking of the ones from Orion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Minot ND
7 posts, read 20,264 times
Reputation: 11
currently live in minot but i keep hearing of people that want to live in ND so they can get away from the big city life and move somewhere quite! sorry but i think the sierra mountains in california are pretty quite and peaceful. They have to be the prettiest mountains and u dont have to move in the sticks to have your peace. i lived in the foothills in northern cal. and i was 45 min from a big city and 20min from the mountains. perfect! barely any snow and tons of deer, neighbors couldnt see in my windows!!! to me this is a busy place with lots of people! most everyone i talk to is very nice but theres nothing quite about this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 01:51 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,366 posts, read 9,992,499 times
Reputation: 9114
Quote:
Originally Posted by taralynn1 View Post
currently live in minot but i keep hearing of people that want to live in ND so they can get away from the big city life and move somewhere quite! sorry but i think the sierra mountains in california are pretty quite and peaceful. They have to be the prettiest mountains and u dont have to move in the sticks to have your peace. i lived in the foothills in northern cal. and i was 45 min from a big city and 20min from the mountains. perfect! barely any snow and tons of deer, neighbors couldnt see in my windows!!! to me this is a busy place with lots of people! most everyone i talk to is very nice but theres nothing quite about this place.
How about outside of Minot, Fargo, Bismark, and Grand Forks? Say... Rolette or Crystal or Ashley? Quiet?



I wouldn't think that any city of more than a couple thousand is going to be quiet or peaceful. IMO, the draw of North Dakota is that there are very few bigger cities, thus more smaller towns and rural areas that are uncluttered by urban sprawl. There are more people living in my small metropolitan area (which I really hate, BTW) than there are in the entire state of North Dakota. I would think that might afford me some peace and quiet, and more importantly, a slower lifestyle, when I get there. The slower lifestyle is actually the most important for me. Slow down and enjoy life a little, rather than rushing to it's end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top