U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,183,819 times

Advertisements

Hi, all:

I'm looking for a place to be my own self and hopefully off the grid.

I know this state isn't insanely populated, which i like. I'm looking for a place that has no public transportation, no diversity, no big-box or chain retail outlets such as supermarkets, McDonald's, etc, no large highways/interstates, no nearby metro areas. I also want some land. Absolutely no more than 10,000 population. The smaller, the better. Up to 5,000 is what I'm most comfortable with.

Will I find any around here? One concern is that it's a border state. Are there any issues with the borders? Don't give me fluff. Give me the real truth.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 PM

723 posts, read 1,059,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Hi, all:

I'm looking for a place to be my own self and hopefully off the grid.

I know this state isn't insanely populated, which i like. I'm looking for a place that has no public transportation, no diversity, no big-box or chain retail outlets such as supermarkets, McDonald's, etc, no large highways/interstates, no nearby metro areas. I also want some land. Absolutely no more than 10,000 population. The smaller, the better. Up to 5,000 is what I'm most comfortable with.

Will I find any around here? One concern is that it's a border state. Are there any issues with the borders? Don't give me fluff. Give me the real truth.

Thanks.
Hello--I know of a few places like that you are describing, or at least very close to it. I've never been to ND myself, but in WY ( the least populated state in the nation--yes, even less folks than Alaska has ) there are a few spots like that. One of them is a town called Creston ( population of 12 I'd say? ). Don't think it's changed it's population in 10 yrs since I passed by it, but this place is so small, it could literally fit entirely underneath I-80 that passes over it ( sorry there is that interstate ) but all that is there is a bar, a few campers and a gas station. That. Is. It. Land as far as the eye could see, so you could always live on the outskirts of it if you want to call it that and own hundreds of acres. Land is cheap in WY too. VERY CHEAP!!! Bairoil, WY is another spot--used to do census work in WY--OMG, this town you need an older map to find it. Newer maps don't always include it, but I think there were 52 people living there something like that. WY is probably MUCH more full of these BFE towns ( pardon the expression ) than ND is because I believe WY is bigger is sq miles slightly over ND and a good 100k or more LESS people than ND.

Of course, WY is not a border state, and speaking of other smaller places like Hiawatha, CO ( this town is on a dirt road--the only way to access it--pop ~ 50 or 100? )

Just wondering you have your heart set on ND--why that state?

Old 07-08-2010, 02:49 PM

10,436 posts, read 10,033,388 times
Thorne, North Dakota.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:11 PM

7 posts, read 16,991 times
My bet is that he/she is a 2012er. I'm betting that North Dakota is going to be getting quite a few of them in the next year. Probably the only state that will get more 2012ers than North Dakota will probably be Colorado, unforunately people that go there will be sorry before long.

Before people go on about how 2012ers are "crazy", I suggest you do research There is a disgusting amount of evidence to support the theory. It is a shame to see how little media attention it is being given and how the proponants of it are rediculed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_North_Dakota

The above link has a handful of ND cities listed by order of population, scroll down to see the smaller cities/towns.

Last edited by Jesse25; 07-09-2010 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Added a Wikipedia link.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:29 PM

723 posts, read 1,059,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse25 View Post
My bet is that he/she is a 2012er. I'm betting that North Dakota is going to be getting quite a few of them in the next year. Probably the only state that will get more 2012ers than North Dakota will probably be Colorado, unforunately people that go there will be sorry before long.

Before people go on about how 2012ers are "crazy", I suggest you do research There is a disgusting amount of evidence to support the theory. It is a shame to see how little media attention it is being given and how the proponants of it are rediculed.

List of cities in North Dakota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The above link has a handful of ND cities listed by order of population, scroll down to see the smaller cities/towns.
What do you mean by a "2012er"?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:34 PM

10,436 posts, read 10,033,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse25 View Post

List of cities in North Dakota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why will people who move to North Dakota be sorry? I'm not moving there because I'm convinced the world will end in a couple of years (who cares where you are if the world ends?), but because I have dreamed for many years of living in small town or rural North Dakota or UP Michigan. The only thing I'm sorry about is that it has taken me so long to get my ass in gear. I don't fit into large metropolitan areas, hate the lifestyle, and have pretty much been miserable where I am for... oh, let's see... about 20 years now (since the last time I lived in a fairly rural area).

What do you propose to be so "sorrowful" about living in North Dakota?

Last edited by ChrisC; 07-09-2010 at 02:30 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 02:58 PM

276 posts, read 701,279 times
Hey, Buddy, I'm with you! I am not a 2012er either. I'm just tired of large cities and crowds along with the crime. I've lived in CA, CO, MD, and FL and I've had quite enough. I have been looking for quite a long period of time (including mountain areas) for relocation. Thus far, I am still in FL as I haven't been able to sell my mobile home after my mom's passing. My problem is that I have to work (secondary or post secondary education). I'm with you--the smaller and more rural, the better. Quite frankly, I don't understand why people want to stereotype those of us that value privacy and desire to have some space. Good luck as you endeavor to move to a place that you would be happy. Indeed, I am still attempting to do so!

Old 07-09-2010, 04:55 PM

600 posts, read 1,110,860 times
I think you should consider towns in the northeastern part of Minnesota as well.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Why will people who move to North Dakota be sorry? I'm not moving there because I'm convinced the world will end in a couple of years (who cares where you are if the world ends?), but because I have dreamed for many years of living in small town or rural North Dakota or UP Michigan. The only thing I'm sorry about is that it has taken me so long to get my ass in gear. I don't fit into large metropolitan areas, hate the lifestyle, and have pretty much been miserable where I am for... oh, let's see... about 20 years now (since the last time I lived in a fairly rural area).

What do you propose to be so "sorrowful" about living in North Dakota?

Sorry, I meant that people who chose Colorado over North Dakota will be sorry. If I had my choice of places to live in 2012, North Dakota would be #1 spot on my list.

Last edited by Jesse25; 07-09-2010 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-09-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
What do you mean by a "2012er"?

If you saw the movie 2012, you would know a little bit what I'm talking about.

The ancient Mayans calendar (which is accurate up to 33 seconds! The calendar is 1500 years old and is still off by only 33 seconds) ends on 2012, december 21st to be exact. The Mayans beleived that this is the day that the world would "end".

The 2012 movie leaves out some critical information however. It was not the Mayans who made this prediction first. It was actually the ancient Sumarians (debatebly the first known civilization, next to the Chinese) who first coined it. The Sumarians said that an alien race, the Nephilim (also mentioned in the Bible), created humans to mine gold for them (near the Euphrates river, which is specifically mentioned in the Bible as having very fine quality gold) that they needed to somehow fix their planet's (home planet of Nibiru) atmosphere with. The Nephilim are said to return in/around 2012. Some say that they will enlighten us, others say that they will destroy us. Those who say that they will destroy us, typically, believe that they will simply hurl a comet towards our planet, as opposed to an intergalactic war (yes I know this is sounding very sci-fi)

The Star Wars Missle Defense program was reinstituted by G.W.Bush in 2005(I think, could be wrong). Most people who study up on the Biblical Tribulation will agree that the Tribulation is said to last for 7 years. 2005+7 years = 2012.

Not to mention that there are about 6-8 other ancient cultures predicting the end of the world between the years 2011-2019.

Most 2012ers that the world is actually going to be destroyed in 2012. NASA also said as recently as 2007 that in 2012 the sun's thermal activity is going to be massively more...uhh...active, during the 2012 solstice.

Michio Kaku- a physicist went on FOX news saying that we're in for a world of hurtin on 2012, due to solar activity. I think it aired in 2007.

Einstien, among others, have also predicted a polar switch in the 2012 solestice. (probably spelled that wrong)

So there's that, and there is also a TON of numerology theories that lead to the end of the world on 2012.

So in short, a 2012er is someone who subscribes to a theory that places major significance on the year 2012 as either a transitional year of human enlightenment, or a year of apocalyptic prophecy being fulfilled by the destruction of humanity and all/almost all living things.

Personally, I think the evidence for 2012 being a year of incredible significance is extrordinarily convincing, no matter where you stand on the actual events that WILL occur.

P.S...no, before anybody says anything, it is nothing like the Y2K scare. Y2K had a bunch of people saying that computers wouldn't be able to add 2+2 if it didn't know what today's date was. The 2012ers have half a dozen ancient cultures all saying pretty much the same thing, aswell as religious prophecy backing them up.

...I think that pretty much covers it.

Last edited by Jesse25; 07-09-2010 at 06:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota