U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-28-2010, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 27,270 times
Default RV Camping in Dickinson during Winter?

We might be working in Dickinson, ND for a few months. We usually take our 4 seasons camper with us. Could anyone tell us if it is possible to live in RV during winter months. I contacted one campground and they don't have spots opened after September.

I also tried to get in touch with Freedom Baptist Church. I didn't get a response. Does anyone know if they still meet.

First time posting.
zfish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-28-2010, 01:03 PM

16,703 posts, read 19,375,135 times
I'm not sure if there are RV campgrounds open year around there.

However, I lived in a bumper pull 34 ft camper trailer for 4 years, then bought a 5th wheel and lived in it for another 4 years. 8 years of year round living. Yes, it can be done and done comfortably.

What kind of rig do you have? I can give pointers on how to make life simple in your RV.

Unread 07-28-2010, 01:24 PM

We have a Kountry Star fifth wheel. We have lived in it during winter but not that far north.

Unread 07-28-2010, 05:35 PM

26 posts, read 48,352 times
Heat tape for water pipes is your friend......

Unread 07-28-2010, 06:03 PM

9,807 posts, read 5,275,528 times
Unless you're willing to bank the bottom to the ground with straw bales or some other insulating material, I wouldn't consider it.

Unread 07-28-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Unless you're willing to bank the bottom to the ground with straw bales or some other insulating material, I wouldn't consider it.
Really depends on the rig. Today's 5th wheels have a basement that is heated and your plumbing runs through the basement, so not a worry. That's why I asked about what kind of rig.

I've had my 5th wheel in -40 temps, no straw bales, didn't freeze up.

Unread 07-29-2010, 03:56 AM

Thanks, that is good to know. Ours does have the heated basement. I guess now we need to look at whether there is somewhere to park and hook up. Thanks for taking time to answer me.

zfish

Unread 07-29-2010, 06:46 AM

There are still many other things you'll need to do.

1) Figure out which windows are important to you to see out of. Cut celutex (styrofoam covered with tin foil on one side) to fit the other windows and tape into place.

2) Take 6 inch thick foam rubber and cut it about 1 inch larger then the square going to your roof vents. Stuff the foam rubber into that cavity.

3) There are two types of heat tape. One you string in a straight line on your water hose and tape it on. The other type you wrap in a spiral around your water hose. You want the type you spiral around the water hose. Do that and wrap it slightly tighter spirals then what it calls for and leave about 2 ft of heat tape hanging out of the end that will connect to the water service from the park. Tape it every 8 to 10 inches. String this hose through a NEW sewer (accordian type) hose and tape securely at each end. Then get duct insulation for 5 inch duct. (Insulation wraped in tin foil) Pull that over the the sewer line and tape securely. The pig tail you leave hanging on the service end will be used to wrap around the service pipe sticking out of the ground.

4) You'll want to leave your grey water and black water drain valves open. When you flush, don't be shy about holding the water on for a while to make sure everything leaves the rig. Get a board and some blocks to put under your sewer line to make sure it's straight and at a proper angle. You don't want any woop-d-doo's in the line.

5) If you have a generator, make sure you have extra fuel available and also stop at the local Wal-Mart or K-Mart or trucktop and pick up some can's of HEAT (or other fuel treatment). When you are in a RV park, you tend to not run the generator because you've got good power. But, they loose power in snowstorms too. Your fuel in the generator probably sets longer then it does if it was in a vehicle. So put HEAT in every tank full to insure that moisture is disapated.

6) It would be nice if you could build a entrance room. Doesn't have to be very big, maybe 5 ft square by 7 ft tall. Just something to step in to out of the wind and close the door and then open the door to the RV. An RV isn't very big and opening the door to the elements for a very short time to jump in will still drop the temp inside to make it uncomfortable quickly.

The things mentioned above are not real costly but will really help to give you a more carefree winter.

I always kept a spare furnace blower motor. RV's are not meant to be lived in for long periods of time so blower motors tend to go out on you. I ended up replacing mine about once a year and of course, it always went out in the dead of winter when the wind was nasty and the temp was below zero.

Unread 07-29-2010, 10:01 AM

Great ideas. We already are a fan of the heat tape that spirals. Like SDTumbleweed said, "Heat tape is our friend." We have wondered which way to go on the sewer open or closed during freezing weather. Some of the other things you said, we hadn't thought of before.

Thanks again.

Unread 07-29-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfish View Post
Great ideas. We already are a fan of the heat tape that spirals. Like SDTumbleweed said, "Heat tape is our friend." We have wondered which way to go on the sewer open or closed during freezing weather. Some of the other things you said, we hadn't thought of before.

Thanks again.
My neighbor had a Teton 5th wheel and the holding tanks were heated. So she kept her's closed. But the holding tanks are exposed underneath the trailer, so it's best to keep them drained. Don't want a 40 gallong block of ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota