U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2010, 10:23 AM
 
42 posts, read 97,548 times
Reputation: 37

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayb3 View Post
Inappropriate comment. I can't blame her for not liking ND. I went there last year, and it was b-o-r-i-n-g.

When you have kids, boring is a good thing. No way I'd raise 'em in Dallas. As for nothing to do, I'd beg to differ. If shopping and dining out are your forms of recreation, you're out of luck. ND isn't built for happiness derived from consumerism.
However, just as an example, my wife are going to the community theatre this afternoon, the college offers sporting events,theatre, and foreign films. We have a rodeo, the parks, YMCA, and trails system are nice, I'm always meeting new people at the bark park on the SE side of town, there are 2 ski areas within 90 minutes, Prairie Public radio and the community station (98.1, the Cowlip) are pretty good, we have very nice shooting range. If I hunted, I'd probably be even happier with my new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2010, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Texas!!! It's hot but I don't care :)
476 posts, read 1,181,594 times
Reputation: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassamatta View Post
When you have kids, boring is a good thing. No way I'd raise 'em in Dallas. As for nothing to do, I'd beg to differ. If shopping and dining out are your forms of recreation, you're out of luck. ND isn't built for happiness derived from consumerism.
However, just as an example, my wife are going to the community theatre this afternoon, the college offers sporting events,theatre, and foreign films. We have a rodeo, the parks, YMCA, and trails system are nice, I'm always meeting new people at the bark park on the SE side of town, there are 2 ski areas within 90 minutes, Prairie Public radio and the community station (98.1, the Cowlip) are pretty good, we have very nice shooting range. If I hunted, I'd probably be even happier with my new home.
Yes I noticed ND isn't built for consumerism seeing as how they pay crap wages and I pretty much don't do any shopping anymore because not sure where I would do it, although I do miss shopping and eating out but I also miss hiking, mountains, waterfalls, art festivals, museums, big zoos, haunted houses for halloween and other scary things to do for the whole month, dinner theaters, art galleries, downtown areas bigger than 2 streets, boutiques, downtown festivals that last more than a day, scenic routes with more to look at then flat wheat fields, being close to the ocean and yes I like big cities. I haven't seen the college plays but do they have those all the time or just occasionally? YMCA is too far and too expensive when I can go to the gym on base for free. I have gone to the dog park...but unfortunately, my dog developed a fear of other dogs and gets aggressive so that's out. I don't like sports. I don't like hunting, I'm a vegan. Which is another thing! No vegan products in Minot? Sigh. I'm not big on rodeos or country music, even though I'm from Texas...but the trails sound nice. Where are those exactly? I love shooting ranges except we don't have a gun, we always borrowed my in-laws. Anywhere to get a good, cheap gun? I'm trying to do things...but when you don't have money to travel outside Minot and the winter comes...what exactly are you supposed to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2010, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,234 posts, read 11,360,090 times
Reputation: 2448
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassamatta View Post
ND isn't built for happiness derived from consumerism.
That's an outstanding way of putting it.

And if how the kids turn out is any indication, methinks "boring" is by far the superior environment, not only for avoiding certain social ills, but more that it forces them to expand their own minds for themselves, rather than passively accepting whatever a busy environment provides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2010, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,234 posts, read 11,360,090 times
Reputation: 2448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Good point. We tend to have college-educated folks calling non-college-required forms of work "unskilled." Assuming they've never done it before, I'd really like to see the kind of welding job they would do on a structure, or how a house would turn out if they built it, or how the plumbing would turn out if they roughed it in, or how a road grade would turn out if they ran the grader/bulldozer, or even how their harvest would turn out if they planted it? And I wonder if they would still call it "unskilled" once it wasn't so "unskilled" as they thought it was?
LOL! Having seen what happens with the simple job of 'dig a hole' with no prior experience... you're dead on!

In fact, I'd hazard that the average blue-collar job requires more experience, relative to the amount of work being done and the level of expertise you're looking at... that blue-collar worker can learn from others, and copy their methods, but he can never simply copy and paste their work. His own hands have to learn how to do it for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2010, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,234 posts, read 11,360,090 times
Reputation: 2448
One of the best ways to meet people is to regularly attend a club that fits your interests. One-shot attempts will not work. People need time to get to know YOU, too.

clubs in minot nd - Google Search

Lots of junk results but still maybe something to check out; add search parameters to reflect what interests you. Since you're a vegan, I'd think a gardening club would suit. There are a couple shooting clubs, maybe check that out (you can generally rent pistols at the range). Your dog acts aggressive toward other dogs because it's unsure who the boss is; find a dog trainer who understands this and work with a training group. [Note: I am a pro dog trainer.] These are all ways to meet people with similar interests, and surely you'll find some friends among them... if you give them some time to get to know you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2010, 08:13 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 11,806,739 times
Reputation: 8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
Yes I noticed ND isn't built for consumerism seeing as how they pay crap wages and I pretty much don't do any shopping anymore because not sure where I would do it, although I do miss shopping and eating out but I also miss hiking, mountains, waterfalls, art festivals, museums, big zoos, haunted houses for halloween and other scary things to do for the whole month, dinner theaters, art galleries, downtown areas bigger than 2 streets, boutiques, downtown festivals that last more than a day, scenic routes with more to look at then flat wheat fields, being close to the ocean and yes I like big cities. I haven't seen the college plays but do they have those all the time or just occasionally? YMCA is too far and too expensive when I can go to the gym on base for free. I have gone to the dog park...but unfortunately, my dog developed a fear of other dogs and gets aggressive so that's out. I don't like sports. I don't like hunting, I'm a vegan. Which is another thing! No vegan products in Minot? Sigh. I'm not big on rodeos or country music, even though I'm from Texas...but the trails sound nice. Where are those exactly? I love shooting ranges except we don't have a gun, we always borrowed my in-laws. Anywhere to get a good, cheap gun? I'm trying to do things...but when you don't have money to travel outside Minot and the winter comes...what exactly are you supposed to do?


------mountains,waterfalls, museums,big zoos, ...... being close to the ocean, big cities,


When you married an enlisted serviceman , you should have realized you would have to develop different--likes-- cuz there are many/most military bases that won't meet your criteria.

The US govt doesn't locate military bases based on spouses' likes !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2010, 08:16 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 11,806,739 times
Reputation: 8127
I thank your husband for his service and offer him my deepest sympathy.

Life can't be easy for a seviceman when his wife doesn't like living where he is assigned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2010, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Texas!!! It's hot but I don't care :)
476 posts, read 1,181,594 times
Reputation: 200
My husband also doesn't like living here. Nether do any of his friends or my friends. So.....it's not like we just sit around and complain ALL the time about Minot. It's just sometimes on those occassions when we want to do something, there isn't anything to do that we can think of...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2010, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Texas!!! It's hot but I don't care :)
476 posts, read 1,181,594 times
Reputation: 200
I didn't even know that Minot had clubs. Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2010, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Texas!!! It's hot but I don't care :)
476 posts, read 1,181,594 times
Reputation: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
One of the best ways to meet people is to regularly attend a club that fits your interests. One-shot attempts will not work. People need time to get to know YOU, too.

clubs in minot nd - Google Search

Lots of junk results but still maybe something to check out; add search parameters to reflect what interests you. Since you're a vegan, I'd think a gardening club would suit. There are a couple shooting clubs, maybe check that out (you can generally rent pistols at the range). Your dog acts aggressive toward other dogs because it's unsure who the boss is; find a dog trainer who understands this and work with a training group. [Note: I am a pro dog trainer.] These are all ways to meet people with similar interests, and surely you'll find some friends among them... if you give them some time to get to know you.
I have had several aggressive and private dog trainers...I don't know what her problem is. I don't know what to do. She used to love the dog park but now...she hates it. She also doesn't like men and she gets extremely aggressive. Any ideas why this would happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top