Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,805 times

Advertisements

Chris- yes i lucked out on the lot but i got out bid on the 2nd one attached to it.

Lowerider- Hey new neighbor! lol. have you been to town and got a chance to see your property yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 06:22 AM

27 posts, read 49,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenburn View Post
Chris- yes i lucked out on the lot but i got out bid on the 2nd one attached to it.

Lowerider- Hey new neighbor! lol. have you been to town and got a chance to see your property yet?
Glen - yes, i spent about 9 days in the area a couple of weeks ago. need to post a review like i promised. will get around to that soon. so, you were bidding on that lot last night too i guess? it must be the one in between my lots and your lot!!!!! wonder who got it and what they plan on doing with it? but it sure is nice there. very beautiful and peaceful.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:43 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
This is becoming a conversation between two people. Take it to DM.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:20 PM

80 posts, read 209,863 times
I don't know anything about Donnybrook, but am a realtor in eastern ND and am familiar with several small towns in our area. From my experience this (charging the owners to mow the lawns if they don't do it themselves-- not the next door neighbor offering to buy the lots) is very normal procedure. I've had several properties that have sold, and liens for lawnmowing have to be paid off at closing. I think that's what keeps most small towns in ND clean and pleasant -- just a different mindset than in many parts of the country. You're going to encounter this every year, so I'd suggest you try to find someone to keep them mowed for you. If it's done on a regular basis -- and not after the grass gets 3' high -- it shouldn't be too expensive. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:28 PM

80 posts, read 209,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweRider View Post
It's amazing to me how condescending people can be on here. I was pleasantly surprised with the positive and helpful comments by the others, but someone had to jump in with some negativism. Marmac, I just purchased the property 8 weeks ago. Actually a little before that, but was paying over time, so my ownership didn't begin until end of July. I am going up there for 2 weeks beginning next Thursday so plans were to get scheduled lawn maintenance and a few other things taken care of then. So yes I had thought of lawn maintenance but hadn't nailed down specifics as of yet.
If the town was truly so concerned about the height of the grass on my property and were diligently notifying the previous owners as they did me, the grass wouldn't have had time to grow high enough to "nuissance" levels in a matter of a few weeks, now would it? Point is, evidently the town didn't bother with it prior to my taking ownership. The notice was dated Sept 7th, so if I took ownership at the end of July, would the grass had grown to such high levels to warrant a "nuissance" letter in 5 or so weeks if the town had been jumping on it prior to my ownership? Doubtful.
Anyhow, you'll be pleased to know that I do have someone quoting the lawn maintenance this week and calls to other companies in the area to respond with quotes as well. I've also contacted the Mayor who sent the notice but haven't gotten a response from him yet. Hopefully will soon.
Marmac, if I read your response in the wrong light, I apologize. If I read it with the sarcastic tone you may have intended, well then game on!

Actually you'll find that through summer we have extremely long days -- early sunrise and it often doesn't get dark until 10 p.m. -- and as a result everything, not just grass, grows extremely fast. Through the height of summer we'll often have to mow our lawn twice a week. If we leave on vacation for a week to 10 days the yard will be a mess by the time we get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota