Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,909 times

Advertisements

I am a family man with 6 kids and an awsome wife. I live and work in Denver Colorado. I/We are looking for a change. I am being considered for a job in the "Oil Fields" (sorry if that is a soft spot for some as it seems to be for a few). The location is Rock Springs WY or Dickinson ND. I would like- please- any information of which the two possible locations are best for family and housing. Oh yeah I do have a Dog .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 07:53 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,041 times
I'm partial to ND, but I'd say Dickinson is a heck of a lot better place to bring a family that Rock Springs, WY. Most of the oil work has came to ND (even though the Niobrara play might get kicking in WY/CO/NE soon). Dickinson is a nice town and is only 90 miles from our capital, Bismarck. Tons of work in ND, toughest thing is finding a place to live. Good luck and you'll like ND way more than WY!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:47 AM

431 posts, read 1,605,837 times
Before you consider each place, check for housing. That is our biggest problem here in ND, shortage. Dickinson is not as bad as Williston, but some workers have started in Dickinson and then moved to Williston. That would be my concern for people moving in the oil fields.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
I'm partial to ND, but I'd say Dickinson is a heck of a lot better place to bring a family that Rock Springs, WY. Most of the oil work has came to ND (even though the Niobrara play might get kicking in WY/CO/NE soon). Dickinson is a nice town and is only 90 miles from our capital, Bismarck. Tons of work in ND, toughest thing is finding a place to live. Good luck and you'll like ND way more than WY!
ND has an income tax, sales tax and property tax. Financially, a lower % of dollars will come "home" than in WYO so make sure to account for that. +1 on the Dickinson over Rock Springs. I know a lot of people who move to Rock Springs/Green River and then try to get out but often get stuck with a home they can't sell because nobody wants to buy it.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:40 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Based solely on the geographic aspect, I'd go for ND. I've been through Rock Springs many times. It has never appealed to me. Pretty bleak area. But then again, that's completely subjective on my part. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Economically, it's pretty dependent on a rather speculative industry, though. And when it comes right down to it, it doesn't have much more than that going for it.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:50 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,777 times
Rock Springs is a much more difficult location to raise kids: i.e. the drug culture has been very bad.

Rock Springs also seems to be missing in terms that the populace isn't as spiritually and faith-focused, and that affects the kids. In Dickinson, even as an oil town, faith is still important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota