Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 08:58 AM

49 posts, read 108,091 times

Advertisements

I know there's quite a few military that are fortunate enough to get an assignment to ND and have the same problems arranging housing that are referenced many times on this forum. We just moved here a few months ago and went through all the scams on CL, newspaper ads, and property management sites. We were about to settle for a townhouse when we found the perfect house for us on a military housing only website. It's somehow linked with the housing office on base. Here's the link: Automated Housing Referral Network (AHRN.com) v7.0 There wasn't much on there, but we kept checking and the perfect house for us showed up and we got it the same day. Just wanted to share that and I hope it helps someone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 03:47 PM

559 posts, read 1,463,960 times
Fortunate? Is there some sarcasm in there somewhere? Lol Anyway, we used that website and it did have more housing listed them most but we did just end up using a property management. I think it's really just the luck of the draw! Glad you were able to find something, though. It can be pretty hectic!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:00 PM

I know the general attitude towards ND assignments in the AF is not a positive one. After a visit here ten years ago I wasn't impressed with what I saw and experienced and wouldn't have welcomed an assignment. This time around I'm honestly thrilled to be here and I'm loving it. I think it depends a lot on where you're coming from and what you're used to.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:29 PM

WOW. Glad you are enjoying it then. We hate it of course, that is widely known on this forum. People just seem astounded that we aren't in love with it but when you want to get into the car and drive somewhere...you want to go SOMEWHERE! Mountains, lakes, warm places. Not just Bismarck. Anyway, trying to plan trips out of here is hard because the plane tickets are always incredibly outrageous. We just bite the bullet and save ourselves $1400 and drive the 8 hours to Minneapolis. Which is a very nice city if you ever have the chance to go! That's the only good thing about this base, although Grand Forks base is closer Also, during the summer, Winnipeg is the closet large city in Canada, also worth checking out. How are you enjoying the cold and the light snowfall so far? it gets much, much worse. I'm going to check and see if anyone is selling a snow blower on base!

Old 11-22-2010, 12:08 AM

I've lived all over the country and have found happy and unhappy people in each and every location I've ever lived. I was one of the unhappy people in southern Florida, so we found a place much better suited to us.

Grand Forks wasn't really on our radar in all the times we looked for where we might like to be. It just kind of fell in our laps and after researching we were surprised at how nice a fit it seemed to be. It's not as big a town as we're used to and there are a few restaurants that we like that aren't here, but that's a small price to pay IMO. It's big enough that it's got just about everything we need and a lot that we don't.

I've been to Fargo a couple times now and it's a pretty nice city from what I've seen. We'll have to really check it out one day since it's only about an hours drive.

We're already heading down to check out Minneapolis next week for a few days. Going to catch the Wild/Flyers game, go ski about an hour north of the city, and who knows what else. We're open to suggestions on what to do with a day or part of a day if anyone has any "must dos".

Old 11-23-2010, 02:01 PM

Oh, see you are based at Grand Forks which is probably at least 50 times better than Minot, at least in my opinion. You are actually close to larger cities. We are close to smaller cities, unless you count Bismarck, which isn't much bigger, so I don't. I would die to live in Florida! Or anywhere the winter temp doesn't drop belowe 40 would be perfect

If we had to be based in North Dakota...I would really have rather it have been Grand Forks. I don't see that I would have been overjoyed...but from what I've heard, its better than here. Well, enjoy the massive snow storm!

Old 12-03-2010, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,061 times
BtwThePipes~
Glad you found a great place on AHRN! My husband and I are likely moving to Grand Forks in a few months. I like to be prepared and plan ahead so I have been scouring AHRN and CL almost daily for a couple of months... Problem is anything good that comes up will be long gone by the time we get there. Also, we need to find a place that will accept our two dogs. It's not looking good!

How are you liking the area so far? I was under the impression that a lot more people would be leaving the base than heading there. Any advice as to where to live??

Last edited by MaybeMovingtoGF; 12-03-2010 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-03-2010, 05:07 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,979,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeMovingtoGF View Post
BtwThePipes~
Glad you found a great place on AHRN! My husband and I are likely moving to Grand Forks in a few months. I like to be prepared and plan ahead so I have been scouring AHRN and CL almost daily for a couple of months... Problem is anything good that comes up will be long gone by the time we get there. Also, we need to find a place that will accept our two dogs. It's not looking good!

How are you liking the area so far? I was under the impression that a lot more people would be leaving the base than heading there. Any advice as to where to live??
Hi

I live in East Grand Forks and work in Grand Forks....I was able to assist BtwThePipes in his move up here where he found a place in my neighborhood of EGF. I am not military so have no access to the AHRN, where he found a place. He was very lucky. We do have a military home rental on my street as well....the original buyers of the new house were sent to Turkey as it has been rented to military folks since.

Outside of the military angle, while there are a few more homes for rent than there used to be...this area has never been a large rental home market. Townhomes are a bit easier to find. CL will have a few....or checkwith Elite Property Mangement which does handle quite a few homes that owners want to rent instead of sell.

Elite Property Management, LLC - Properties for Lease in the Grand Forks Community and surrounding areas

I am also assisting a couple from Beale AFB with house hunting issues for their move over the winter.

In terms of the GFAFB itself the downsizing has happened gradually over the past 10-15 years (since about 1996-97 when the missile wing went away). So by now all that were going to leave are already gone. They are ramping up the UAV missing now and bringing in some folks for that.

If you are looking for rental homes/townhomes...I suggest contacting Elite and seeing what they have and keeping searching CL and the AHDN. It may take a little while and lots of patience, but it should work out.

Dan

Old 12-03-2010, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,061 times
Default Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Hi

I live in East Grand Forks and work in Grand Forks....I was able to assist BtwThePipes in his move up here where he found a place in my neighborhood of EGF. I am not military so have no access to the AHRN, where he found a place. He was very lucky. We do have a military home rental on my street as well....the original buyers of the new house were sent to Turkey as it has been rented to military folks since.

Outside of the military angle, while there are a few more homes for rent than there used to be...this area has never been a large rental home market. Townhomes are a bit easier to find. CL will have a few....or checkwith Elite Property Mangement which does handle quite a few homes that owners want to rent instead of sell.

Elite Property Management, LLC - Properties for Lease in the Grand Forks Community and surrounding areas

I am also assisting a couple from Beale AFB with house hunting issues for their move over the winter.

In terms of the GFAFB itself the downsizing has happened gradually over the past 10-15 years (since about 1996-97 when the missile wing went away). So by now all that were going to leave are already gone. They are ramping up the UAV missing now and bringing in some folks for that.

If you are looking for rental homes/townhomes...I suggest contacting Elite and seeing what they have and keeping searching CL and the AHDN. It may take a little while and lots of patience, but it should work out.

Dan
Thanks for your response, Dan. We are also currently at Beale AFB.

We likely won't be moving until March so I have some time to look. I have been frequenting Elite Property Management's web site as well. I think as we get a little closer we will contact them, maybe they can keep an eye out for something. A townhome would be just okay for us... We would really like a house. We have an 8 month old daughter and two labs. Thehy take up quite a bit of space! Our budget is pretty flexible, but as you have mentioned before the nicer homes are just not for rent!

I will keep on doing what I'm doing with the home search. I'll be sure to check in here from time to time, there seems to be some good info.

Thanks so much!

Michelle

Old 12-03-2010, 06:55 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,979,705 times
I sent you a private message...

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeMovingtoGF View Post
Thanks for your response, Dan. We are also currently at Beale AFB.

We likely won't be moving until March so I have some time to look. I have been frequenting Elite Property Management's web site as well. I think as we get a little closer we will contact them, maybe they can keep an eye out for something. A townhome would be just okay for us... We would really like a house. We have an 8 month old daughter and two labs. Thehy take up quite a bit of space! Our budget is pretty flexible, but as you have mentioned before the nicer homes are just not for rent!

I will keep on doing what I'm doing with the home search. I'll be sure to check in here from time to time, there seems to be some good info.

Thanks so much!

Michelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota