Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:58 PM

559 posts, read 1,462,536 times

Advertisements

So.....what is there to do during the winter? The summer wasn't too bad because you could just hang outside and BBQ if you were bored. But what is there to do here when it's below 0 and there's snow and ice on the ground? I really want to know because last winter was HORRIBLE. I didn't do anything except go to work and then lock myself in my house and not really up to doing that again. So anything that goes on during the winter around here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 06:26 PM

979 posts, read 3,661,373 times
Well one POSITIVE...is it is already nearing the END of November. Last year, we had snow before Halloween...and it never went away until spring. At least this year, we still don't have any snow to really speak of! We pretty much have ONE month put away!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:46 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,151,731 times
I'm in the process of moving from the Chicago suburbs to Williston. My mobile home has been delivered on my lot and I'm waiting to get the water, septic and electric connected - probably all will be done my next Tuesday. Looks like I'll be spending Thanksgiving here in Williston. After that, I have to go back to Chicago and get another load of personal belongings.

I know that North Dakota is cold and that is one thing that attracts me to it, but I'm really surprised that this level of cold actually happens before Thanksgiving. The NWS is predicting sub zero temperatures Sunday and Monday nights in the 7-day forecast - WOW! I hope I get the heat on soon in the mobile home, it's getting old sleeping in the semi bunk with the big diesel idling all night.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:00 PM

125 posts, read 643,883 times
We are moving to Watford City next month. I'm from Michigan so hanging out inside aka hibernating is a custom for us..lol. Is snowmobiling big out there? i know it is cold out there but last year the only time we went snowmobiling it was like -5 and we managed.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:56 AM

25,298 posts, read 18,454,844 times
XC Skiing? Some of my fondest memories are of XC skiing with the temps hovering around zero and bright sunshine flooding the deep blue sky... of course, this is in the Utah high country, but I'm sure there is XC skiing in ND as well. At least I hope!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:30 AM

Ahh, skiing. I've never been but apparently there's some man made ski stuff in Bottineau. I'm assuming it's man made as ND is flat as a piece of paper. I will have to check that out. Yes, there's not much snow and it did wait until the end of October this year lol but wind chill outside right now is -11! Is there anywhere to rent snow mobiles? And where can you drive them?

Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,963,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
Ahh, skiing. I've never been but apparently there's some man made ski stuff in Bottineau. I'm assuming it's man made as ND is flat as a piece of paper. I will have to check that out. Yes, there's not much snow and it did wait until the end of October this year lol but wind chill outside right now is -11! Is there anywhere to rent snow mobiles? And where can you drive them?
The ski area is in the Turtle Mountains....no man made stuff there..

Old 11-19-2010, 12:33 PM

454 posts, read 937,719 times
There are several snowmobile rental places in/near the Bottineau/Turtle Mountain area. Just google 'snowmobile rental bottineau north dakota'.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:17 PM

I didnt think ND had any mountains. Never heard of Turtle Mountain.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:57 PM

25,298 posts, read 18,454,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I didnt think ND had any mountains. Never heard of Turtle Mountain.
Well, I wouldn't really call them "mountains," even though they are called the Turtle Mountains--more like... hills... really. Gotta go west to get real mountains.

Here are some downhill ski resorts in ND:

Bottineau Winter Park (this is the resort in the Turtle Mountains).

Home : Huff Hills (Mandan)

Frost Fire Ski and Snowboard Area (Walhalla)

Granted, there is no huge vertical drop like there is in my neck of the woods (over 3000 ft vertical at Snowbird compared to 450 in ND), but hey, it's still skiing and it's still fun!

BTW, keep in mind that you don't need a hill or mountain at all for XC skiing (cross country) as opposed to heavy downhill ski gear, which is made for going down the big mountains. XC gear is typically very light weight. It's like going for a walk... but a lot more fun! Great exercise, as well. You can XC ski anywhere there is snow--you don't have to be a great skier to XC on flat terrain. It's more fun if there are a few hills though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota