Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 01:20 PM
ODF ODF started this thread

5 posts, read 8,361 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what I might expect as far as salary, schools, and cost of living if I were to become a teacher in ND within a few years. I will be going off to college next year and I want to major in secondary ed leaning towards teaching a science type field. I may also pursue a masters. I know that it varies from area to area, but what is the averageish salary I might expect, and the cost of living in some areas of North Dakota. I know that it will be relatively low. I was also wondering what their retirement plan is for treachers, if anyone has had any past experience with it. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 09:23 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
I am not a teacher but live in the Grand Forks area and our oldest is in Kindergarten in EGF. I did find this info regards to some salaries for GF teachers in 2009.

For GF....starting teacher with bachelors would get 32,050 with one with a masters plus 30 additional graduate credit hours would start just above 38,000.
Top salary after 35 years is just over 62k.

Grand Forks teacher contract dispute hinges on one issue -- salary schedule: Representatives from the two sides agree there is really only one thing holding up the process ? a dispute over how to change the salary schedule that determines how fast a (http://www.allbusiness.com/education-training/education-administration-school-boards/12841500-1.html - broken link)

I dont know how this would compare to other larger cities in ND however. But the GF school district is on solid financial footing and there hasnt been a election for a tax increase for many years.

About the low cost of living...really in the larger cities I dont think the cost of living is all that low compared to most other areas of the country. Obviously lower than LA or a very larger eastern city....but housing/taxes/food, etc are not exactly that much lower than cities it's size elsewhere in the country and in some cases more expensive.

Just something to think about.

Dan

Old 11-29-2010, 09:53 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODF View Post
I was wondering what I might expect as far as salary, schools, and cost of living if I were to become a teacher in ND within a few years. I will be going off to college next year and I want to major in secondary ed leaning towards teaching a science type field. I may also pursue a masters. I know that it varies from area to area, but what is the averageish salary I might expect, and the cost of living in some areas of North Dakota. I know that it will be relatively low. I was also wondering what their retirement plan is for treachers, if anyone has had any past experience with it. Thanks for any help.
For a college graduate, your cost of living is going to be determined by 2 things... 1) where you live... 2) your college loans!

Cars, groceries, gas, electricity... they're all about the same no matter what you live though there will be pressures to buy higher in parts of the country (oh the shame of driving 10 year old American on the East coast!), but they don't impact your cost of living much.

Go on a realty website or rent website and see what kind of place you like. Frankly, I was shocked at how expensive homes were in Fargo and Bismarck ($250K for a newish standard 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bathroom house!). Only you know what sort of home you want to determine if an area is affordable for you.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:58 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
As a spinoff question, are there many junior/community colleges in ND? And are there many teaching positions in them? The only community college I've researched is the one in Bottineau, but I'm sure there are others. I'm willing to work out of my field doing whatever when I move to ND, but it would be kind of nice if I could find something teaching-related (in my case, mathematics), since I've had many years teaching experience and I'm highly rated at the university in which I teach. As for salary, it doesn't matter as long as it's enough to keep food on the table and a roof over my head.

I'm sure there are community colleges in the larger cities (Bismark, Minot, Fargo, Grand Forks), but are there many in the smaller towns?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:48 PM

Hi

This is from Bismarck's School district website....
Each year we receive over 700 applications for teaching positions for an average of 60 job openings for teaching positions. The teacher salary ranges from $32,800 for first year teachers with a bachelor's degree to $67,133 for teachers with a Masters+60/EDD and 25 years of experience. Teachers, administrators, professional support staff and full-time support staff employees receive a comprehensive benefits package with medical, dental, vision and life insurance along with retirement benefit and paid time off.

Source....

Bismarck Public Schools : District Home : Human Resources

Old 11-29-2010, 04:07 PM

Hi Chris....

Here is a listing of junior colleges in the state....

North Dakota Community Colleges and Public Two-Year Colleges

The main ones is Lakes Region in Devils Lake....Bismarck State College....North Dakota State College of Science (NDSCS) in Wahpeton and Williston State College...

There are other 4 year small state supported universities....such as Mayvillle State....Valley City Univ....Dickinson State....to name a few.

There is Northland Technical College in East Grand Forks and Thief River Falls Minnesota.

I know people locally in the GF area who go to Northland in EGF and those that have taken classes offered by Lake Region State College in DVL held at the GF Air Force Base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
As a spinoff question, are there many junior/community colleges in ND? And are there many teaching positions in them? The only community college I've researched is the one in Bottineau, but I'm sure there are others. I'm willing to work out of my field doing whatever when I move to ND, but it would be kind of nice if I could find something teaching-related (in my case, mathematics), since I've had many years teaching experience and I'm highly rated at the university in which I teach. As for salary, it doesn't matter as long as it's enough to keep food on the table and a roof over my head.

I'm sure there are community colleges in the larger cities (Bismark, Minot, Fargo, Grand Forks), but are there many in the smaller towns?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:18 PM
ODF ODF started this thread

5 posts, read 8,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
For a college graduate, your cost of living is going to be determined by 2 things... 1) where you live... 2) your college loans!

Cars, groceries, gas, electricity... they're all about the same no matter what you live though there will be pressures to buy higher in parts of the country (oh the shame of driving 10 year old American on the East coast!), but they don't impact your cost of living much.

Go on a realty website or rent website and see what kind of place you like. Frankly, I was shocked at how expensive homes were in Fargo and Bismarck ($250K for a newish standard 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bathroom house!). Only you know what sort of home you want to determine if an area is affordable for you.

If all goes as it is planned at the moment, I will have no student loans to deal with. As far as where I would want to live, my only stipulation is that it be amongst good hunting and fishing, and that it is the type of place I could raise a family. It doesn't have to be big, in fact, I don't believe I want to live in a city at all in my life, no matter which state I am in.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Hi Chris....

Here is a listing of junior colleges in the state....

North Dakota Community Colleges and Public Two-Year Colleges

The main ones is Lakes Region in Devils Lake....Bismarck State College....North Dakota State College of Science (NDSCS) in Wahpeton and Williston State College...

There are other 4 year small state supported universities....such as Mayvillle State....Valley City Univ....Dickinson State....to name a few.

There is Northland Technical College in East Grand Forks and Thief River Falls Minnesota.

I know people locally in the GF area who go to Northland in EGF and those that have taken classes offered by Lake Region State College in DVL held at the GF Air Force Base.

Just what I was looking for. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota