U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:36 PM

1,710 posts, read 2,103,146 times

Advertisements

Can someone in ND verify whether jobs are easier to find there than elsewhere?
Our part of North Carolina has usually weathered recessions well, but we're hurting now a lot more than before. Still better off than eastern NC, but not good.

I heard a guy on a talk show today say he went to ND from Atlanta area, has worked in the oil business & made lots of overtime every week, better $ than he's made the last several years.

Can someone come out there for several months or a year to catch up on income? I know people here willing to make the trip if it's true. I told them let's check it out first. Long trip if a fantasy. How about your cost of living? Are rental houses or apts reasonable, easy to find?

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 06:10 PM

2,607 posts, read 3,710,973 times
Are there jobs here?? YES!!!! We have more jobs than we do people.

The problem? The cost of living is extremely high (a gallon of milk is between $4-5 at WalMart, gas is about $3/gallon). As for renting... well you can get on a waiting list but it's going to be about a year. There is a housing shortage in western North Dakota where all the jobs are. Rent for 2 bedrooms is easily $1,000+, one bedrooms are around $800, rooms are around $500+. And that's if you can find one. Some people are renting RV's for $1,200+ a month, IF you can find one.

They estimate that 4-5,000 people are living in temporary housing (campers, hotels, etc) in Williston right now.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:18 PM

Yes, looks like your cost of living is up there. Gas isn't much worse; our's is about 2.50 to 2.60 for regular, close to $3 for high test. Sounds like your rents are about a step ahead. I haven't rented here in a long time, our house payment is $925. I think 1 BR apts now start about $400 for anything decent, maybe $500. So, your hotels are probably high too.

How about campgrounds? Are they filled up with people using campers, tents, etc?

I wasn't thinking much of going myself, as it would be hard on the family. I know single guys who would be willing to head on & live there while working there.

Are the jobs all in oil & related industries?

Thanks again.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:48 AM

394 posts, read 1,047,629 times
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com - US town with a lot of jobs

Old 12-08-2010, 06:35 AM

There is some space at campgrounds, however due to the cold weather they do not have running water. The rec center does have free showers, though. That being said, I would STRONGLY advise coming out here with a tent. You will not survive winter in a tent here. You'll need a winterized camper or RV at a minimum, one that can hookup to electricity so you can have heat.

Most of the jobs are oil field related. Even the ones that aren't are hiring because of the oil boom. You can get a job at WalMart paying over $11/hr right now, most fast food places are paying between $10-$12/hr.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 AM

979 posts, read 3,351,509 times
jmellc: like lisan23 said, there are campgrounds, but they are always full as well. (you would not be able to "tent" it during the winter...even most campers would not make it without major freeze ups, etc..."... but the rates for a camp site is as much as an apartment. Some are charging from $500 up to $1000 a month to have a camp pad. Man camps are popping up all over, and are run much like a hotel. Many of the oil companies are putting their workers up in them. (Halliburton moved in housing from the winter olympics in Vancouver...but that is for their workers I believe) but several other large camps have been built in the regino ... 2 just north of the city limits of Williston...one in Stanley and another in Tioga...with more planned. These are nice, because they will house the temporary workers who are NOT looking to buy or invest in towns like Williston. In a few years, they would just remove the temporary housing, and put the areas they were located on, back into wheat fields, etc...

Old 12-09-2010, 02:33 PM

549 posts, read 1,271,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Are there jobs here?? YES!!!! We have more jobs than we do people.

The problem? The cost of living is extremely high (a gallon of milk is between $4-5 at WalMart, gas is about $3/gallon). As for renting... well you can get on a waiting list but it's going to be about a year. There is a housing shortage in western North Dakota where all the jobs are. Rent for 2 bedrooms is easily $1,000+, one bedrooms are around $800, rooms are around $500+. And that's if you can find one. Some people are renting RV's for $1,200+ a month, IF you can find one.

They estimate that 4-5,000 people are living in temporary housing (campers, hotels, etc) in Williston right now.

It is a misconception that ALL cities in ND are full of jobs. Williston is the only one that I can think of that has jobs and those are probably just oil jobs. I've lived in Minot for over a year now and haven't even gotten interviews for jobs that I am very qualified for. And when I do get job interviews, which has been rare, I find out they give it to some 20 year old with less qualifications that I have. It's like the good ol boy system. If you don't know someone, you're pretty much out of luck. But, I have been told Williston has oil jobs, if that's what you want to do.

As for cost of living...YIKES! The little town where I live in the most expensive place I've ever lived, and I have lived in places like Dallas, San Diego, and Tucson, that have much more to offer. Gas is outrageous, like $3.10. We were renting a place in town before we moved on the base for $600 and it was a craphole. 2 bedrooms but one was more like a closet, one VERY SMALL bathroom and the windows weren't sealed. they had plastic over them that would shroom up when the wind blew. Our heating bill was at least $200 a month in the winter. And oh yeah....most houses don't have any kind of air conditioning and despite what they say, it does get hot in the summer and you will want it. Anyway.......so...ND is not the "dreamland" that most people hear that it is.

Also, there is a waiting period, like lisan23 said, and it can take forever. We just got lucky we even found a place. Which doesn't make sense because as far as I can see...there aren't any jobs that pay more then "competitive" wages (Which they think is $9/hr) and there's nothing here! Plus, it's cold. But that's my rant and view of ND. I'm not really a fan

Old 12-09-2010, 02:37 PM

549 posts, read 1,271,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
There is some space at campgrounds, however due to the cold weather they do not have running water. The rec center does have free showers, though. That being said, I would STRONGLY advise coming out here with a tent. You will not survive winter in a tent here. You'll need a winterized camper or RV at a minimum, one that can hookup to electricity so you can have heat.

Most of the jobs are oil field related. Even the ones that aren't are hiring because of the oil boom. You can get a job at WalMart paying over $11/hr right now, most fast food places are paying between $10-$12/hr.

I saw a help wanted ad for McD's and they are only paying 8-9 an hr, in Minot anyway.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't seriously planning on coming myself. I figured at least some of the above would be the case & I'd wind up spending most of what I made. Would be hard on the family too, & I'm not as young as I used to be. That would have been an adventure at age 21. I'll pass info to people I've heard talk about it.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
It is a misconception that ALL cities in ND are full of jobs. Williston is the only one that I can think of that has jobs and those are probably just oil jobs. I've lived in Minot for over a year now and haven't even gotten interviews for jobs that I am very qualified for. And when I do get job interviews, which has been rare, I find out they give it to some 20 year old with less qualifications that I have. It's like the good ol boy system. If you don't know someone, you're pretty much out of luck. But, I have been told Williston has oil jobs, if that's what you want to do.

As for cost of living...YIKES! The little town where I live in the most expensive place I've ever lived, and I have lived in places like Dallas, San Diego, and Tucson, that have much more to offer. Gas is outrageous, like $3.10. We were renting a place in town before we moved on the base for $600 and it was a craphole. 2 bedrooms but one was more like a closet, one VERY SMALL bathroom and the windows weren't sealed. they had plastic over them that would shroom up when the wind blew. Our heating bill was at least $200 a month in the winter. And oh yeah....most houses don't have any kind of air conditioning and despite what they say, it does get hot in the summer and you will want it. Anyway.......so...ND is not the "dreamland" that most people hear that it is.

Also, there is a waiting period, like lisan23 said, and it can take forever. We just got lucky we even found a place. Which doesn't make sense because as far as I can see...there aren't any jobs that pay more then "competitive" wages (Which they think is $9/hr) and there's nothing here! Plus, it's cold. But that's my rant and view of ND. I'm not really a fan
Um... I staff in Minot too. If you haven't been able to get a job, no offense but you haven't been looking all that hard. I went to Papa Johns for lunch and they were offering delivery drivers $11-$15/hr. Is it like Williston? No, but it's still difficult to find employees in Minot. The unemployment rate in Minot for October was 2.4%, Williston's was 1.7%. I can pull up the job service site and your local paper and find dozens of jobs.

As for towns that are booming:

Williston
Tioga
Dickinson
Ray
Stanley
Sidney, MT

Minot is growing and there are jobs. I don't know why some think there isn't, clearly based off the unemployment rate and all the job listings in the area there are jobs.

Oh and etjaipleure, WalMart in Williston doesn't even pay $8-$9/hr anymore. Hardee's is at $10-$11, same for Arby's and Taco Time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota