Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:49 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,213 times

Advertisements

While what nemmert said is a little silly, there are not a lot of Black people but that doesn't mean you will be discriminated against. As far as I can tell there's not a whole lot of going on anywhere in North Dakota. You will not be a circus side show
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 10:40 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
While what nemmert said is a little silly, there are not a lot of Black people but that doesn't mean you will be discriminated against. As far as I can tell there's not a whole lot of going on anywhere in North Dakota. You will not be a circus side show
Silly yes... but it establishes the point :P

As for racism... there is a VERY strong racism in ND against Native Americans. You may not feel it up in Minot but it's very strong in Bismarck/Mandan due to the closer proximity to the reservation.

But hey, every state needs their scape goats... whether it be African American, Native, Jew, or Mormon... it's someone else's fault my life sucks

Old 12-28-2010, 11:52 AM

979 posts, read 3,669,108 times
Seriously, I don't believe there is as much racism against Native American's in North Dakota, as many like to suggest...but yes it does exist. A while back, there was some damage done to some Native American art in one of our local parks. They didn't know who did it, but right away, the white's were being accussed of destroying the artwork in the name of "racism" by many Native American's in the editorials and blogs in the Bismarck Tribune...even the president of the Indian College in Bismarck jumped on the bandwagon to decry racism against natives. The artwork was repaired, and a few months later, the same artwork was in the process of being destroyed once again...only this time, witnesses saw and took down the license plate of the vandals...who were these destructive vandals?? A young native american destroying the sculpture as his adult counterparts sat in the waiting vehicle. The witness wrote down the license, the police followed up, and the young man was charged. BUT...no word from those who previously ranted and raved about the whites who destroyed the artwork in the name of racism... and definately nothing negative was blogged or written about the young native man who was caught red handed doing this destruction. Just curious why? I remember the local Radio and TV stations reported the vandal and suspects as native american, but the Tribune declined to use race in their article...but allowed the previous article (via blogs) to accuse white people of destroying native art.
The article from the 2nd round of vandalism was short, brief, little details, and no follow up. Almost like they didn't want anyone to find out the vandal was actually native american.

Park sculpture damaged

Old 12-28-2010, 12:50 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
Silly yes... but it establishes the point :P

As for racism... there is a VERY strong racism in ND against Native Americans. You may not feel it up in Minot but it's very strong in Bismarck/Mandan due to the closer proximity to the reservation.

But hey, every state needs their scape goats... whether it be African American, Native, Jew, or Mormon... it's someone else's fault my life sucks

I have seen some of this...even in Minot. Not like discrimination just...general dislike. I am not sure why. But true, everyone needs a scapegoat. Like geez all these immigrants are coming to take all the jobs that I wouldn't have down in the first place, grrr I'm mad. All seems silly.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:10 PM

555 posts, read 1,653,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I have seen some of this...even in Minot. Not like discrimination just...general dislike. I am not sure why. But true, everyone needs a scapegoat. Like geez all these immigrants are coming to take all the jobs that I wouldn't have down in the first place, grrr I'm mad. All seems silly.
Lots of reasons... some better than others. I know many of my views came from having 4 parents as well as extended family in law enforcement. Beyond that, I spent over 2 years working in a grocery store. In 2 years, I didn't see a single Native American pay for groceries with anything other than food stamps. (How do you starve a Native American? Hide his food stamps under his work boots.) Stuff like that leaves an impression.

I won't say the racism towards the Native's is anything like that of the Black's in the South... you won't find the KKK or lynchings... in ND, it's more just a general dislike or distrust... people will steer away from the Native Americans... it's less confrontational I guess.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,430 times
I am black from Africa living in Lexington , KY . I want to move to Fargo or Bismarck. I need same one tell me where is the best zip code to live?

Old 10-15-2014, 08:06 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaisePascal30 View Post
I am black from Africa living in Lexington , KY . I want to move to Fargo or Bismarck. I need same one tell me where is the best zip code to live?

I like 58102 better than 58103, but I just don't like South Fargo. (Even though I now live in 58103, but that is only because I live on the south side of main street and the river.)

I am driving out to Bismarck/Mandan Saturday. I am thinking if I had the years left I would spend some time there. I will see if Bismarck is nice as it might seem from the map.

I suppose that what zip code you want to live in depends on what you do for a living, and what you like to do in your off time. I like to walk, both nice park trails and in city streets, downtown Fargo has that for me. Others like nicer shopping and nicer fitness clubs, that is better in southwest Fargo. Others, who don't mind driving across the Red River in the winter time live in Dilworth, so when they get home there is nothing between them and Detroit Lakes.

Tell up more about yourself, what would be a "good" zip code?

Is it high crime?
Good schools?
Easy commute?

Except for Williston, and New Town, and maybe Dickinson, all the rest that start with 58 will be okay. If you want warm winters I would suggest you check out a zip code that starts with 90.

I will note that crime has picked up here in downtown Fargo. There are notices at our apartment and at the YMCA, we must lock our cars. People are stealing from then occasionally.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 10-26-2014, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 6,966 times
Except for Williston, and New Town, and maybe Dickinson, all the rest that start with 58 will be okay.

Qazulight[/quote]

May I ask what is wrong with Dickinson? My husband and I are relocating there from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I found the town to be very, very busy and service industries are still somewhat scarce; however, the people were very friendly and the town nice.

Thanks in advance for replying.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:42 PM

122 posts, read 217,180 times
I think most of the country is over that!!!! That's what I want to believe. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:12 AM

517 posts, read 1,052,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired of texas View Post
Except for Williston, and New Town, and maybe Dickinson, all the rest that start with 58 will be okay.

Qazulight
May I ask what is wrong with Dickinson? My husband and I are relocating there from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I found the town to be very, very busy and service industries are still somewhat scarce; however, the people were very friendly and the town nice.

Thanks in advance for replying.[/quote]

I suspect that there is little problem with Dickinson. However, as there have been a lot a people from Texas move up there, so it is getting a little rowdy now.

Basically, the big movement of people from all over the U.S. has brought in a lot of people. The bad have drifted in as well as the good. Compared to the Dallas area you will find it a nice safe place to live. You will find that for the most part, the cities, or towns, don't have bad and good neighborhoods. They have less expensive and more expensive neighborhoods. (No cheap neighborhoods.)

I just made my first run out to Bismarck. My impression is that in 20 years Bismarck will be as big and as interesting as Austin.

Cheers
Qazulight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota