Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:40 PM

6 posts, read 35,244 times

Advertisements

My husband was transferred from WY to ND for work, it was temporary but have found it it will now be permanent. I've been trying to find housing for the past 3+ weeks & all I have found are a few over priced worthless apartments & a trailer house for $1450/ month!!! We would prefer to live outside of town but that seems impossible without buying and even then there's nothing to choose from! We would be alright with buying but we do still own an acreage in MN so not sure how that would work with requirements for another separate mortgage. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to locate something decent. My standards are no bugs/roaches & no critters like coon, rats or mice! Plus I want it to be within reasonable terms & price! Seriously I'm not that picky & can make about anything work & feel like home. Living in a hotel sucks & since we have a dog it's not like I can start working here while we are looking for a place to live either so I am almost nuts now with nothing to do!!! My husband & I are responsible hard workers in our late 20s & have one dog. It shouldn't be difficult to find a roof to put over ourselves! We would consider contract for deed, rental or to purchase but like I said, not sure how that would work with our situation. We are looking to stick it out here for long term but not if we have to live in a hotel forever! If we could sell our place in MN it would make this much easier I know but no go there so far unfortunately!

Please help me, I desperately need advice of what else to do! Anybody have suggestions? I welcome any ideas you may offer!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 04:18 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
There's a housing shortage in Dickinson because of low unemployment. The fact that you found anywhere to rent in itself is pretty amazing, Dickinson isn't as bad as Williston yet but it's on it's way. If you find a place to rent for under $2k I'd move on it, I'm guessing within the next 3-4 months Dickinson will be similar to Williston where they will be renting out rooms for over $1,000 a month.

Seriously, for up here $1,450 isn't bad.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:13 PM

166 posts, read 375,323 times
If you venture Dickinson way, prepare yourself accordingly. You better like trailer homes, as that's where you'll start out. If you're willing to pay $2300+, you might upgrade into a double-wide. For around 3500 and up you can consider yourself blessed and find a small modular home for rent.

Many carpetbaggers have roamed into the area. Skilled tradesmen looking for work, journeyman servicemen, returning veterans, ambitious working girls, and roaming salesmen are all to be found here. It's the modern version of the gold rush, only in this case it's jobs that everyone's chasing.

Welcome to Dickinson. Enjoy your stay and be sure to save a couple coins in case things don't work out.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 11,751 times
Oh no I will be moving out from California with my husband next week. We were figuring we were going to stay in a hotel til we found something. Do you know the hotel rates? Can you recommend a hotel? Any info will help thank you.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:13 AM

6 posts, read 35,244 times
@ chalakoh
We have been bouncing from hotel to hotel since the beginning of Feb...$80-$118 is the ranges we have hit so far. I would reccomend any hotel where you can find availability, good luck! There are a few hotels we have checked out that have absolutely nothing available for many months! Not only is any kind of rental housing near impossible here but so is temporary housing as far as for hotels as well. Hope you found a way to accommodate your stay! Can I be curious & ask why you're moving to Dickinson??

Old 05-07-2011, 03:32 PM

10 posts, read 28,375 times
My family and I are getting ready to move to Dickinson, I dont suppose the housing is any better is it?

Old 06-03-2011, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 10,783 times
Default Hotel discounts

its usually a good idea to check hotwire for hotels, when I was working traveling around the us, I could consistently get very nice hotels(2 star usually) for about $20 below the walk in price. Works extremely well in larger cities. The only disadvantage is you only know the location, not the name of the hotel until you pay for a night. So far Ive never had a bad experience always good looking, clean painted rooms with wifi! The last time I used it with my family i think we payed $67 after tax for 4 people..which included a pancake breakfast, in salt lake city. Ive heard expedia is good too, but i haven't tried it out yet.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:08 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameul View Post
its usually a good idea to check hotwire for hotels, when I was working traveling around the us, I could consistently get very nice hotels(2 star usually) for about $20 below the walk in price. Works extremely well in larger cities. The only disadvantage is you only know the location, not the name of the hotel until you pay for a night. So far Ive never had a bad experience always good looking, clean painted rooms with wifi! The last time I used it with my family i think we payed $67 after tax for 4 people..which included a pancake breakfast, in salt lake city. Ive heard expedia is good too, but i haven't tried it out yet.
Hotwire is not going to have any rooms in Dickinson. They sell likely to be unused rooms at a discount. Dickinson is not that kind of place, neither is Williston, Sidney, Medora, or Bismarck (due to flooding).

Old 06-04-2011, 07:56 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
agree flycat...the hotels in the towns you mentioned, are not needing to compete and fill. They are all full months in advanced at full rates (if not inflated...lol)

Old 06-04-2011, 08:27 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
agree flycat...the hotels in the towns you mentioned, are not needing to compete and fill. They are all full months in advanced at full rates (if not inflated...lol)
I drove by the new Microtel here in Williston the other day and their sign said "vacancy" on it. I took a picture and sent it to my dad, telling him if he really did plan on coming here this Thanksgiving and didn't want to get stuck sleeping on my daughters bottom bunk full size bed with his wife then he better call and book his room now. He laughed... I told him I was serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota