U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-28-2011, 11:00 PM

9 posts, read 14,494 times

Advertisements

I might be having an opportunity to move to Bismarck in the future. I have been doing some research to see rental costs their for duplexes/apartments/houses and the main theme I am noticing is that there are no pets allowed. It is just my wife and I , and our little dog that doesn't do anything wrong, ever.

Is the "no pets" a common thing in Bismarck?

Also, we are in our mid 20's and like to hike, fish, and my wife is a music teacher. Is there a life in Bismarck for her and our lifestyle? We are obsessed with mountains, are there any nearby?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,227 times
You may want to consider just picking out a few likely places, and then politely asking the landlord if you can work out a deal to allow the pet. I think for a lot of them it's just a kneejerk thing they put to cover themselves in the event of bad renters. If you explain you'd be willing to pay extra, make the deposit return conditional on a clean pet-smell free unit, they might become a bit flexible on the issue.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:09 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerloder View Post
Also, we are in our mid 20's and like to hike, fish, and my wife is a music teacher. Is there a life in Bismarck for her and our lifestyle? We are obsessed with mountains, are there any nearby?

Thanks!
No offense but you need a geography teacher. There are no classified mountains in North Dakota. There are some good size hills in Western North Dakota that are pretty like Teddy Roosevelt NP but no granite peaks. The closest "mountains" would be the Black Hills in South Dakota or actual mountains on the Rocky Mountain Front in Montana and Wyoming.

There is good fishing north of Bismarck on Lakes Sakakawea and Oahe and downstream of the dam on the Missouri. I'm not sure of hiking trails outside of the Little Missouri area in Western North Dakota.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:20 AM

15 posts, read 17,257 times
There aren't many naturally occuring trees, either. Lots of fishing and outdoor oportunities.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:22 PM

9 posts, read 14,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
No offense but you need a geography teacher. There are no classified mountains in North Dakota. There are some good size hills in Western North Dakota that are pretty like Teddy Roosevelt NP but no granite peaks. The closest "mountains" would be the Black Hills in South Dakota or actual mountains on the Rocky Mountain Front in Montana and Wyoming.

There is good fishing north of Bismarck on Lakes Sakakawea and Oahe and downstream of the dam on the Missouri. I'm not sure of hiking trails outside of the Little Missouri area in Western North Dakota.

Thanks for the response. Someone told me about the Killdeer Mountains, which as I have now found out, are classified as buttes. Never been up there. I figured there might be some within close range as Canada is full of them as I have heard.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:35 AM

32 posts, read 46,224 times
My wife & I love the mountains also but just got here to Bismarck late last year. Bottineau is close by and there are some very pretty treed-hills; makes for nice weekend getaways.

The apartment complex we live in states no pets, but there are at least one or two dogs floating around so I would ask the landlords of properties you are interested in if they will allow any small dogs. Worst they can say is no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota