Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 12:12 AM

18 posts, read 49,522 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My hubby and I were just given 2 choices for our new bases: Cannon AFB NM and Grand Forks.

Due to some educational needs of our 2 boys, we are heavily leaning towards ND. So I am looking for information on learning centers, smaller schools with active learning and a very tech filled special education department. I would like there to be a classical education bent to the school if that is possible. However, the size and the SPED are the most important. Here are the details.

Son 1 is 14 and will be repeating the 9th grade. He has an above average IQ with a learning disability. He needs remedial work in all areas of written output and some reading instruction more phonics based. He also might fall under a subset of dyslexia. He has an anxiety disorder that the LD issues makes worse. I did see that Sylvan Learning Center is in GF and we plan on taking advantage of what they have to offer. He also is interested in raising a cow?? Is there an active Farmers of America (is that what it is called?? ) in one of schools?? We would consider a private school if we can afford it...but he is into baseball, wrestling, and football so that is something we would like to keep him involved with.

Son 2 is 11 and we are considering having him repeat 6th. He has Nonverbal Learning Disorder (he can not understand or easily grasp most nonverbal communication such as "reading between the line", sarcasm, humor, or reading facial expressions. He struggles with written output and math.) He needs a very small classroom with an aide and a more mastery based curriculum that goes in depth of knowledge. He processes information slowly so if they move fast or jump around, he will become lost and frustrated. His IQ is above average as well so he is cognitively intact and a great kid with no filter. Just very very blunt. He will need some SPED that provides social training and speech to continue his work on the way he speaks and social interation. He likes golf and hates, with a passion, the cold. LOL

I know it is a lot to ask but I am sure someone on here can point me in the right direction.

The schools will determine the area that we decide to purchase a home.

I have my own fears about ND, which I know are silly, but I am willing to do this for the boys. We have been in Germany for 6 years and the winters here do me in...I get sad and just want to sleep all the time. I struggle with the lack of sunlight and the cold, gray sky. I had dreams of short..very short winters and southern sunshine. The AF has other dreams... I grew up on Alabama and most of our bases have been in warm areas so this, if we get it, will be a huge shock to us all. Since I really have an issue with the cold and lack of sunshine, what do you all do to make it better?? Sun lamps?? I know to stay active but I am not into sports so hockey is out. For me, fishing is laying on a pier in the sun and watching the bobbin bounce...not sitting on ice. I do run, so are there indoor running areas for the winter? I do like to shoot...so indoor ranges?? Umm...driving courses for us that are freaked out by less than an inch of snow?? LOL

I will make the best of it. The area looks nice and the people on here seem to be good folks so that makes up for a lot...just bare with me as I whine and seek comfort with my worries on the long winters. Really...my skin cracks and bleeds below 40degrees. lol (with tons TONS of lotion)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 12:41 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Hi

I just read your post before heading to bed... I have lived in the Grand Forks area since 1998 and have a young son in the East Grand Forks MN schools.

Grand Forks as well as most if not all ND, has excellent public schools. Private schools are related to religion. There is a non-denominational K-8 school (Riverside) and K-12 Catholic school system.

I think the education part and your specific needs should be answered by the district. I dont have any knowledge of the special education programs in the district....I wish I could help further. Below is the website.... I do think it might be best to contact them directly.

Grand Forks Public Schools - New Entry Page (http://www.grand-forks.k12.nd.us/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectionid=1 - broken link)

Will you have to live on base? Base schools are part of the GF school system. There is a elementary, middle school there with high school kids bused into town to Central High School. School age population at the base has went down drastically over the past 10 years as the tanker mission went away, but should perk up a bit with the new UAV mission.

I do want to say, there are no bad schools in the district. More of an older versus newer thing. Century elementary which serves a lot of the southwest side is the newest. But all schools are pretty equal in terms of education, but they might differ in regards to speciality offerings like you describe.
The city and state and region have a high regard for public schools and support them quite well locally. And the GF district has done a good job managing money as well.

Now for the weather angle....I am a meteorologist. I moved up from Kentucky and like the winter and cold. From what you say, you will have some huge adjustments to make. We have sunny days in the winter, and less snowfall, than maybe you think. When we have sun it is often cold as arctic high is overhead. From Dec 15 to Feb 15 you might see 32 degrees once or twice in that stretch. More typically you will have highs 5 to 15 above and lows down 5 to 20 below. Winds can be a factor and make wind chills quite low. It is an a flat area here so wind can blow all year round. Cabin fever can set in, I know by now most are ready to get out in the milder weather. But this month has been colder than usual with snow sticking around longer than usual. Usually you have snow on the ground from about mid Nov until mid March. Can snow before as early as mid October, but will not last long and can get an odd snowfall of light variety into early May. Summers are nice...pleasant with occasional thunderstorms. Most summer days see highs in the 70s and lows 55 to 60...though it can get above 90 for a few days each year and it can get quite humid. Mosquitos can be quite bad outside the city. They spray a lot in town so it isnt too bad. We do have a dry cold in the winter so you will need to stock up on lotion or run a humidifier in the house. Snowfall is frequent but heavy snow is not...but you can expect 2-3 blizzards a year as wind whips the snow around and travel outside the city is very poor with rural highways closed.

I hope this helps some.... sorry about the education angle maybe someone who is more up on it can help out.

Dan R

Old 04-19-2011, 01:56 AM

Dan,

Thank you for the school link! I will be looking that way in just a bit.

No, we will not have to live on base. We actually are interested in having a horse and some chickens...maybe even a small garden. Well, the boys are interested in that stuff. So, if at all possible we plan on buying a home since we intend on sticking it out for the older son to graduate HS.

Thanks for the clear and concise information on the weather. I can stay inside if Ihave too but the sunlight (even if colder) is good news!!! A humidifier I can live with. I know it will be hard since I have a physical/emotional issue with the weather and sunlight but as I said, I would do anything for the boys with the choices we have. One day I will get my tropical island...just not yet. It does look and sound wonderful for summer activities and I look forward to some camping. (with lots of OFF I gather.)

Old 04-19-2011, 03:31 AM

746 posts, read 1,728,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpie70 View Post
Dan,

Thank you for the school link! I will be looking that way in just a bit.

No, we will not have to live on base. We actually are interested in having a horse and some chickens...maybe even a small garden. Well, the boys are interested in that stuff. So, if at all possible we plan on buying a home since we intend on sticking it out for the older son to graduate HS.

Thanks for the clear and concise information on the weather. I can stay inside if Ihave too but the sunlight (even if colder) is good news!!! A humidifier I can live with. I know it will be hard since I have a physical/emotional issue with the weather and sunlight but as I said, I would do anything for the boys with the choices we have. One day I will get my tropical island...just not yet. It does look and sound wonderful for summer activities and I look forward to some camping. (with lots of OFF I gather.)
If you want a horse and livestock, most of those type rural homes are in the Thompson or Larimore/Emerado school districts. You can likely enroll in Grand Forks public schools, but that would require your family to provide your own school transportation.

Much of the land between the AFB and Grand Forks is alkaline soil - it is difficult to have a garden and few trees can grow there. Within Grand Forks itself, South of Grand Forks and west of the Air Base, there is much better soil. Many people do have livestock in the alkaline area, but a garden will not be any where near the bountiful harvests that other gardeners can enjoy away from the type soil.

Keep in mind that keeping up a rural home can be much more challenging in the winter, as you will likely need to snowblow a driveway on many mornings just to get your car to the highway.

Sometimes in the winter, the sun is absolutely intense coming off the white snow, so take advantage of those days. Also, take Vitamin D!

Old 04-19-2011, 06:46 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpie70 View Post
Never let cabin fever set in. When I get up in the morning, I look at the thermometer. It's not to determine IF I will go outside, it's just to determine how many layers I'll need to stay comfortable, becasuse, I AM going outside.

Just remember layers, layers, and layers. As the day warms a little, you can peel a layer now and then. If you can keep your hands and feet, dry and covered, just add a hat and scarf and you'll find that there is no need to stay inside.

Welcome to the North Dakota Forum.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 AM

I did find this link with info on Grand Forks schools special education unit. I dont know your particular situation and how your kids would fall in, but it may be of some use to see how GF public schools classify things.

Special Education - Schools/Contacts (http://www.grand-forks.k12.nd.us/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=7087& - broken link)

You mentioned living in the country....I did see that GF public schools special ed unit also handles kids who are enrolled in Thompson. Thompson is a nice, small bedroom community just southwest of Grand Forks. Grand Forks school district serves just the city and base....outside of town in the rural areas you are under other school districts. Thompson is a large one and serves a lot of rural land west and south of the city. In this area south of the airport to Thompson and then east a bit to just south of Grand Forks, the land is prime agriculture related and there are some farms/land avbl for purchase at times. I know a co-worker who moved to a farmstead near Gilby which is north of the base. He doesnt farm the land, someone does, but he has 2 horses which he keeps there. The ground is good enough there for growing whatever.

Since your kids education is paramount I would try to talk to local education folks about resources here. Then compare if you wish to Clovis or Portales NM where Cannon AFB is at.

My friend paid about 220k for land and a renovated house and barns.

good luck!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:54 AM

About the winters, some do take Vit D supplement. And very true about the snow and wind and being blocked in the winter if you live in a very rural area. For first time winter folks, not sure about handling that. In town you have less to worry about in regards to that, have to shovel/snowblow the driveway, but you can travel easier.

Winters overall are usually not quite as severe as what people imagine them to be. Yes it can hit -30F at night a few times a year (although this past winter it didnt)....but it is not like it is that for days on end. You can go a week with below zero temperatures (F) for highs and lows in the heart of the cold season (Dec 15-Feb 15).

Hockey is the passion of the Grand Forks area, from youth to college. But you can get out on the greenway park system and enjoy the cross country snow skiing trails, etc.

--Dan

Old 04-19-2011, 01:26 PM

Fourwinds,

Thanks for the info on the soil. Good points on the challenges of a rural area...that never crossed my mind. I will have to think on that a bit more. I hate the thought of having to move again after all our stuff is delivered but then again, I do not want to struggle so much my first winter. Especially since hubby will most likely will not be around during the start of snow season.

Okay...stocking up on the Vit. D!!!

Old 04-19-2011, 01:29 PM

Thank you Elkhunter! Happy to be here.

Umm...where do I find such layering clothing? I have a Jack Wolfskin coat and that is it. Oh..and the hubby said the 500 hoodies as well. LOL Really though, what do you suggest or some place to find this stuff??

Old 04-19-2011, 01:50 PM

DaninEGF,

Thanks again for the links! I look around earlier at the school site and found the Thompson district. I have already looked at the Cannon area and even if they could meet the SPED needs, the environment is not to my liking. So ND it is if the AF will see things my way. So I plan on contacting the schools to get a feel of what they can provide or what info they can give to me.

I will be looking around on google map to get a better idea of the area around Thompson.

So I gather no indoor running tracks huh? Good thing that I do like to watch hockey. Honestly, I have never given cross country skiing much thought before. Then again I have never given much thought to any winter sports.

Hopefully we will know somthing within the next 2 weeks. Then I will be able to make some concrete plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota