U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,126 times

Advertisements

I am widow currently living in Seattle Washington. My daughter and I need to make a fresh start and are thinking of moving to Fargo, or Bismark. I will be graduating from Washington State with a BA in social sciences and continuing om to my Masters in mental health.

This is a huge step for my daughter and I we... would be looking to move in Aug or September of 2011. I would like to find a 2 bedroom apartment, 1 dog friendly, washer and dryer hook up, and garage for the winters lol.

I would love any advice on apartments or area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 11:05 PM

741 posts, read 1,484,914 times
Any specific reasons why you picked Fargo or Bismarck, or even North Dakota generally? If you are looking at an MS or MA in that field, it would seem that perhaps the better school choice in ND would be U of North Dakota in Grand Forks.

Would you be working part time or full time?

Generally the schools you would be looking at are excellent.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:25 PM

32 posts, read 71,162 times
I'd say Bismarck over Fargo. Smaller community with all the amenities you could ask for, slightly warmer than Fargo in the winters, and more geographic variety (just plain prettier than Fargo).

Check out this local site for all your apartment/rentals/classifieds/etc… listings.

http://www.bismanonline.com/

Old 04-10-2011, 08:09 PM

99 posts, read 182,020 times
Buy a warm coat!

Old 05-01-2011, 04:51 PM

14 posts, read 40,213 times
I'd second UND in Grand Forks for your studies. They have an excellent program. I think this area is a nice peaceful friendly place to get a fresh start as long as you are prepared for the winters (although, August/September is our hot season!)

Old 05-02-2011, 08:58 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,999,505 times
I'd second the comments about basing your choice on schools. I would assume (as other posters have said) that UND probably has the best program, as the medicine and health sciences campus in the state. NDSU has some sort of mental health, community counseling MS, depending on what you are after.

Beyond schools, what are you looking for in a town? Coming from Seattle, Fargo might be just slightly less of a shock than Bismarck, as it is larger and only a few hours from a major metro (Minneapolis). I would assume apartments would be much, much cheaper in either town than in Seattle.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:18 AM

7,165 posts, read 5,967,698 times
I suggest Yankton, South Dakota or Mitchell, South Dakota instead. Quite a bit warmer... closer to the action, and it's pretty scenic in Yankton. That or Sioux Falls itself.

The temperature difference between Brookings and Yankton is pretty huge, and the temperature difference between Brookings and Fargo can be equally huge... you're talking 20 degrees warmer some days living in Yankton instead of Fargo. Biggest differences are in spring and fall. Spring will arrive earlier, fall last later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota