U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-08-2011, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,346 times
Default Jobs That Help Relocate

I am looking for any job that will help with moving expenses. I am good at anything, but I have experience with customer service and cash office positions. My husband is good at resturaunt work. He has been a manager, cook, dishwasher, buffet runner, busser, and waiter. I have also been in resturaunt work myself as a waitress. We can do anything, but the economy is so bad here in Illinois that there just aren't any jobs, and we have three children to support. We are willing to take on seperate shifts at any jobs so as to never have to call off, and never have to have a babysitter, and we are willing to take any pay. We just need to be able to get out there to get started, and I know anyone who hires us will be very impressed with our work. Please have faith in us and I promise, we will not let you down.

Sincerely,

The Brown Family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-08-2011, 02:10 PM

888 posts, read 2,241,960 times
Not sure of the service industry jobs that will help you locate and help pay with expenses. Western North Dakota (especially the oil patch) are desperate for service industry workers. But not sure how willing many of them would be with relocation packages??? Many of the "oil companies" work with their new employees...if you or your husband would be interested in some of those types of jobs. You would need to do some research on your own. Job Service North Dakota to find the available jobs.

Maybe some others from the "oil patch" have some ideas??

Good Luck!

Unread 07-13-2011, 05:44 AM

2,770 posts, read 4,126,033 times
Do be aware that if you find a job in the oil patch, housing could become a very problematic issue. The city of Minot, the one that made national news when it flooded, is going to end up having a very severe housing shortage.

Unread 07-13-2011, 11:20 AM

534 posts, read 664,014 times
While these companies may only have relocation benefits for certain technical/executive positions, two companies are in major expansion mode in northeast ND/northwest Minnesota need customer service personnel:

DigiKey - based in Thief River Falls, Minnesota has added almost 1000 jobs last year and is projected to add even more. They sell electronic components world-wide and have a massive operation heavily dependent on Federal Express overnight.

Here's a link to their job openings, which are extensive:

DigiKey Corporation Careers | Career Center | DigiKey

Amazon.com is adding a couple of hundred customer service jobs in Grand Forks:

Amazon.com to add 200 jobs in Grand Forks | KXNet.com North Dakota News (http://www.kxnet.com/getArticle.asp?ArticleId=776444 - broken link)

Amazon.Com Jobs - Grand Forks, ND | Simply Hired

Because DigiKey now almost has as many employees as there are people in Thief River Falls, many people commute from up to 60 miles a day. DigiKey runs a bus between Grand Forks and Thief River to help accommodate commuters.

If your husband has a restaurant background, there would be all kinds of opportunities in Grand Forks, as the job market there has like 1800 openings with less than half that number of people without a job.

Fargo has a very vibrant economy, so it might be wise to look there too.

For some of the customer service positions, relocation isn't required if you can work from home.

Unread 07-13-2011, 12:17 PM

3,344 posts, read 4,523,389 times
Living in the Grand Forks area.... I echo fourwinds comments. Digi-Key is a leader in TVF and is going strong. Amazon call center here in GF is also expanding and doing well. So opportunites are there, depending on what you want. Housing here is nearly as hard to find as out in the oil basin. GF area is well away from that. Thief River being a smaller town is harder to get housing, but Grand Forks has been building a lot of apartments in the last few years and as a number of newer restaurants coming to town....Ruby Tuesday's and Olive Garden and the re-opening of locally owned and historical Whitey's restaurant in EGF, along with some others.

Fargo of course being the largest city in the region has more restaurants and larger selection of jobs, etc.

--Dan

Unread 12-02-2013, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 672 times
my names brian weston, 38 years of age, i have 3 daughters an a set of twins on the way. very eager to find a job that is steady, with a decent hrly wage an is willing to pay relocation. am self employed and have been for over 10 years. as a contractor/carpenter, work has been very slow for way too long. need to change my surrounding an relocate to a state that has more employment oppurtunities. have worked in factories, lumberyards, was a electrician helper for 4 and a half years. still have my 6500 recorded working hours on file. as a helper i worked on a naval base as a towerclimber, relighting over 10 towers. about a years worth of experience, towers ranging from 800 ft to 1000ft. shutdowns, building substations, osha certified an operate small equipment( scissorlifts, manlifts, forklifts,ect...) ran a warehouse for 2 years in wholesale electrical dist., deliverydriver, inventory,ect... build camps, garages, roofing, siding, decks, kitchen/bath, remodeling, painting, drywall. set up modular homes, ect.. have alot of drive and need too change my situation. asap, so any recommendations will be greatly appriciated. thank you so much, brian weston

Unread 12-02-2013, 07:32 PM

374 posts, read 654,507 times
Brian,
Sent you a private message.

Unread 12-02-2013, 10:34 PM

3,344 posts, read 4,523,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianweston View Post
my names brian weston, 38 years of age, i have 3 daughters an a set of twins on the way. very eager to find a job that is steady, with a decent hrly wage an is willing to pay relocation. am self employed and have been for over 10 years. as a contractor/carpenter, work has been very slow for way too long. need to change my surrounding an relocate to a state that has more employment oppurtunities. have worked in factories, lumberyards, was a electrician helper for 4 and a half years. still have my 6500 recorded working hours on file. as a helper i worked on a naval base as a towerclimber, relighting over 10 towers. about a years worth of experience, towers ranging from 800 ft to 1000ft. shutdowns, building substations, osha certified an operate small equipment( scissorlifts, manlifts, forklifts,ect...) ran a warehouse for 2 years in wholesale electrical dist., deliverydriver, inventory,ect... build camps, garages, roofing, siding, decks, kitchen/bath, remodeling, painting, drywall. set up modular homes, ect.. have alot of drive and need too change my situation. asap, so any recommendations will be greatly appriciated. thank you so much, brian weston
In addition to what Corbay may send you....I just want you to know that in all of ND and northwest MN construction jobs, sheet metal work, electricians, you name are in high demand and that includes Grand Forks where I live/work. Plumbing/AC work high demand, and need people. At a recent job fair in Grand Forks someone was looking for sheet metal workers (no experience needed) and said he could hire 3 on the spot. Many young people dont want to go into that line of work due to it being more physical. There is a nitrogen fertilizer plant going in west of Grand Forks I think starting in 2015 and for two years over that time they expect they will need to hire 2,000 people for the construction. All ND cities are that way....but this is in Grand Forks which is not in the oil boom, but feeling the impacts as some leave jobs here to go west and try to make it rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota