U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2011, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 9,002 times
Default Home Construction in the Bakken

My husband & I live in Northern Wisconsin in a tourist town and he currently works in the construction industry as a builder. The economy up here is not so great these days and work is becoming far and few between. His dad (who owns the construction company) and uncle (who is a $$$$ wealthy investor) are making the trip out to Minot next week to look into the possibility of building homes in that area. I have been doing some of my own research as my husband would go with them, and while I think Minot could be a possibility, I'm not so sure it would be the immediate place to build as they still seem to be recovering from their flood and homes will be underwater for an undetermined amount of time.
With that being said, I'm just looking for some general info on building out in the Bakken area. Here's a few questions...

Which town do you see with the biggest housing crunch?
Do you see lots of out-of-town construction companies coming in?
Has land become very expensive to purchase?
Are there companies out there hiring contractors/builders to help with home construction that pay considerably well?

Any and all information on the building industry in Western ND would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 07:44 PM

625 posts, read 795,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snhwisconsin View Post
My husband & I live in Northern Wisconsin in a tourist town and he currently works in the construction industry as a builder. The economy up here is not so great these days and work is becoming far and few between. His dad (who owns the construction company) and uncle (who is a $$$$ wealthy investor) are making the trip out to Minot next week to look into the possibility of building homes in that area. I have been doing some of my own research as my husband would go with them, and while I think Minot could be a possibility, I'm not so sure it would be the immediate place to build as they still seem to be recovering from their flood and homes will be underwater for an undetermined amount of time.
With that being said, I'm just looking for some general info on building out in the Bakken area. Here's a few questions...

Which town do you see with the biggest housing crunch?
Do you see lots of out-of-town construction companies coming in?
Has land become very expensive to purchase?
Are there companies out there hiring contractors/builders to help with home construction that pay considerably well?

Any and all information on the building industry in Western ND would be much appreciated!
Practically everywhere in NW ND north of I94 almost to Bismarck and north to Minot needs housing.

Williston, Minot, Dickinson especially, but you might actually get more assistant with a development in a smaller town. Almost all the small towns in the region need housing, and land there is very cheap. Land around Williston, Minot, and Dickinson would be much more expensive.

A major problem anywhere, but especially Williston, and now Minot, is finding housing for construction workers. It's likely you'll need to import construction workers from out-of-state and house them in temporary housing.

Here's a link to one company that is concentrating on the small towns:

Stanley, North Dakota - Annabelle Homes

They have developments underway in Stanley and soon in Columbus. Also looks like they have plans for Plaza and Tioga, as well as other towns like Kenmare.

The Watford City area has a huge demand: the small town of Arnegard is getting a new development that will being a 100 or so homes. Killdeer is also a high demand. Going south to South Heart and Belfield as well as even Beach has high housing demand. Later, the demand is thought to extend south to Mott, Hettinger, Bowman, and New England, but that could be several years down the road.

In the Minot area, smaller towns like Berthold, Des Lacs, Burlington, Sawyer, and Velva would almost certainly have the cheapest land available and have local officials that would gladly see a developer come into town.

Crosby, Powers Lake, Makoti, Bowbells are towns on the northern edge of the boom that really need housing. There is a tremendous amount of oil activity on the Fort Berthold reservation, but property laws probably inhibit much development there.

One town that is expecting an oil boom is Bottineau, where a couple thousand wells might be drilled. It may be too early there, yet.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 9,002 times
Thank you so much for that information! Very, very helpful. Do you know if the lumber/building supplies are also high priced? That was the other thing we were wondering.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:39 AM

625 posts, read 795,683 times
There is a Menard's in Minot, and one is being built in Williston. Might check directly with them.

Here's a link to a large development in Williston:

Granite Peak Development Casper Wyoming

Old 10-04-2011, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,030 times
I'm a gereral contrator and I'm looking to build homes in North Dakota. What city is the best choice for a shortest of contrators where they is a boom is the housing industry.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:13 PM

581 posts, read 1,481,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresafeliciano View Post
I'm a gereral contrator and I'm looking to build homes in North Dakota. What city is the best choice for a shortest of contrators where they is a boom is the housing industry.
Williston or Minot are the largest cities seeing growth.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,066 times
I am a land owner in Des Lacs Township,which is west of minot 12 miles-25 miles east of the start of the Backen oil field hot zones. I've lived here my entire life. We have been devistated by major flooding, survived above average rainfalls and stricken by 3 years of record snowfall. we have prevailed. I have residental acreage available for development out of flood zone with rural water,paved access

Old 11-19-2011, 03:40 PM

221 posts, read 470,741 times
What is your price range for a lot? Or are you trying to sell to a developer?

Old 12-11-2011, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,066 times
Default housing

Were working on zoning requirments in the township r-1 residental. NDSHD and the Ward County will allow 2 acre lots with mound sewer system. If State Heath Dept and Ward County Water Board allows we my be able to tie into city sewer system and then we will have city size lots. To be determend. That will affect price. reply to lpjjunction@srt.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota