Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 11:32 AM

8,083 posts, read 15,092,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
Not too sure where the name "Bee Bridge" came from. The bridge was actually called the Memorial Bridge. It was rebuilted early last summer due to unsafe conditions.
From the sound it made when driving across it. Everyone called it that when I was a kid in Bismarck, but that was back before 1960

Someone in city gov't told me that the old bridge was being preserved in a riverside park. The pictures (which I can't find again offhand but were somewhere on the city website at the time) showed the old bridge body just sitting in the grass on the riverbank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
Fall foliage along the Red River- Fargo, ND.
The Red River looks so quiet and peaceful.. hard to believe that when it floods, it does it RIGHT. I remember seeing high-water marks just below the 2nd floor windows of some buildings in Grand Forks, back in the 1960s, and water knee-deep in downtown Fargo -- all the department stores held a gigantic sidewalk sale afterward to move out the water-damaged merchandise and clear out the stores so the carpet could be replaced.

You gotta laugh at what some places call a flood. Hell, SoCal floods are barely a damp spot. A proper flood is 100 miles wide and eats whole towns!!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:26 AM

12 posts, read 45,188 times
Indeed some fine pictures...thank you !

Old 02-02-2009, 06:31 PM

10 posts, read 28,130 times
This is beautiful pictures an I feel like I should pack my family up an just go,only things is I did not see very much people of culture in the pictures do they exist in Fargo,or Bismarck?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyve View Post
This is beautiful pictures an I feel like I should pack my family up an just go,only things is I did not see very much people of culture in the pictures do they exist in Fargo,or Bismarck?
What the heck are "people of culture" ??

Old 02-02-2009, 10:52 PM

108 posts, read 438,353 times
Badlands Nov. of 1998 near Grassy Butte.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:14 AM

43 posts, read 197,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyve View Post
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Consider the following: When you are in a major metropolitan area, there are "city" people who tend to enjoy the amalgamation it brings. With that assumption, one could argue there are a larger percentage of people in a city that enjoy it and seek it out. Lets estimate 5% of the people in a city over 100k are 'people of culture'. Under 100k it is 3%.

North Dakota has a total of 640,000 people, and one city above 100k (I'm excluding Bismarck because people in Mandan tend to stay in Mandan and people in Bismarck tend to stay in Bismarck). Lets compare this to Minnesota, with a total population of 5.2 million and 5 cities above 100k (one of which is the greater Twin Cities area of ~3 million).

Not only do you have the town-size weighting going against the sum, but also the fact North Dakota has 10 times less people than Minnesota.

EDIT:

Last edited by c0ldfuse; 02-03-2009 at 08:23 AM..

Old 02-03-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ldfuse View Post
I'm excluding Bismarck because people in Mandan tend to stay in Mandan and people in Bismarck tend to stay in Bismarck
I noticed that even as a little kid -- go across the river from Bismarck to Mandan and it was a different world, a sharp dividing line between midwestern farmland and western prairie.

Back then I'd have preferred Bismarck. Now -- I've come to like desolate places best, and I'd probably prefer Mandan!

Are the Indian lodges still there? I remember big lodges built of poles, and partly underground. Of course I was 5 years old and they probably seemed bigger than they were, but still, they were cool to visit. Dunno if it was a museum or park or what, but I do recall it was in Mandan.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 AM

43 posts, read 197,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I noticed that even as a little kid -- go across the river from Bismarck to Mandan and it was a different world, a sharp dividing line between midwestern farmland and western prairie.

Back then I'd have preferred Bismarck. Now -- I've come to like desolate places best, and I'd probably prefer Mandan!

Are the Indian lodges still there? I remember big lodges built of poles, and partly underground. Of course I was 5 years old and they probably seemed bigger than they were, but still, they were cool to visit. Dunno if it was a museum or park or what, but I do recall it was in Mandan.
I live in Bismarck, I have no idea what goes on in Mandan other than the Broken Oar .

Old 02-03-2009, 11:57 AM

Speaking of places that don't change much, I just looked at the C-D page for Devil's Lake... the photo of downtown looks just as I remember it, and I was last there in 1972! The white pickup truck is parked below what was my aunt's apartment window back in the early 1960s (at least I think it was that building, if not then it has twins .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota