U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 02:40 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,154,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
Here’s a whole bunch of photos of the flooding in the Valley City area.
Whoa, seriously damp... my very first memory is of walking across a bridge in Valley City. Wonder if it was the one pictured? er, invisible under water...

Love the shots of the geese... at least someone gets to enjoy all this water!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 11:38 PM

625 posts, read 1,606,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Whoa, seriously damp... my very first memory is of walking across a bridge in Valley City. Wonder if it was the one pictured? er, invisible under water...

Love the shots of the geese... at least someone gets to enjoy all this water!

Actually, we have 11 bridges. Do you remember what it looked like? Modern plain ugly concrete, old concrete by a park, lacey white metal, erector set looking metal, or a big arched concrete one?

I sure can't figure out how to add photos or I'd put up pics of some of the bridges.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
Actually, we have 11 bridges. Do you remember what it looked like? Modern plain ugly concrete, old concrete by a park, lacey white metal, erector set looking metal, or a big arched concrete one?

I sure can't figure out how to add photos or I'd put up pics of some of the bridges.
Concrete, fairly flat, and I seem to recall at least a couple light poles along the bridge as well. Must be close to a residential neighbourhood because I was maybe 3 years old and we couldn't have walked very far! (And my mom was singing "Que Sera, Sera"!!) This would have been about 1958.

I'm not sure how you add photos either... I always just throw the pic onto my FTP site and link to it there! [pokes interface] Aha... See the button that says "Manage Attachments" ?? Click that, then click Browse to navigate to wherever it lives on your computer -- you might have to doubleclick the filename -- then click Upload, and it should magically happen. I haven't actually tried it myself.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:10 AM

13 posts, read 23,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Surrender View Post
National Geographic took some haunting photos of NoDak.

The Emptied Prairie - Photo Gallery - National Geographic Magazine
I was not aware of the ND bashing by National Geographic until I stumbled across this forum a few days ago. The scenes depicted in the link above are no different than things I saw when I was a kid on the Missouri in Washburn and all around the state. And that was 50+ years ago. No matter where you go, there's always the old waiting to be replaced by the new. Too bad NG tried to trash a great state for the sake of selling a magazine. I vow to return someday, while I still have time. Thanks to all for the pics. They really get the memory fired up.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstoirvin View Post
I was not aware of the ND bashing by National Geographic until I stumbled across this forum a few days ago. The scenes depicted in the link above are no different than things I saw when I was a kid on the Missouri in Washburn and all around the state. And that was 50+ years ago. No matter where you go, there's always the old waiting to be replaced by the new. Too bad NG tried to trash a great state for the sake of selling a magazine. I vow to return someday, while I still have time. Thanks to all for the pics. They really get the memory fired up.
I don't know if I'd call it bashing. Those photos (which they've now consigned to Flash Hell, so I can't look again) were sad, but beautiful in the way of farm country... not so much dead as dormant, waiting for a new generation of pioneers. But where do we get those pioneers?

Over on the MT forum and elsewhere there's been a long discussion on the possibility of secession. If it happens, I expect the new nation would be comprised of a chunk of the prairie-farming states (including ND) and at that point restarting those abandoned farms would become viable (and probably necessary), as we'd have to return to that pioneer way of thinking and doing to make the new nation survive.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:44 AM

89 posts, read 247,986 times
Truly beautiful!just biding my time till i call ND home.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:15 PM

350 posts, read 470,636 times
We need more pics here!

Old 12-24-2009, 06:43 PM

Those are breathtaking.Any more available??

Old 12-25-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
We need more pics here!
Definately!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:59 AM

54 posts, read 160,151 times
Default snow drifts in Oakes, ND

North Dakota Pictures-feb-7th-012.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or