U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,945 times

Advertisements

Crosby, ND sucks. We've been here for a year and everyone is the same. Mean, stupid and rude. It's totally true. No one will let you into their inner circle, but be glad - you don't want it. No social life whatsoever unless you grew up here. We moved here in 2012 from the Pacific Northwest, and would not still be here if it wasn't for the excellent employment. Don't try to make friends - you will find none. North Dakotans are bitter and rude and have no sense of what it is to welcome anyone to this state. Go ahead and add that to their complete hatred of women (i.e. Legislature and Women Hating) and this is not a place to come to. It's true - develop a thick skin and be ok with being by yourself because these people are monsters.

Plus, here's some inside info: the winters start In October and end in May. It's bitter cold. The summers are full of tornadoes and thunderstorms. There are no trees. If you are used to spending summers outside - forget it. The ticks will make you crazy. DO NOT walk in tall grass. Oh ya - stores and restaurants are open "at their convenience", which means when you want something, *********. No one ever gives a real taste of what it's like here, but I will. ND is bull****. Their "newspeople" are a joke. They are literally the people you would harass in high school. As a "Newsroom" fan, I am on a mission to "civilize", and I could spend the rest of my life trying to do it for North Dakota. Don't get me wrong - there are some EXTREMELY wonderful people in this state, but it is not the norm. Not by any stretch of the imagination. If I see another BEDAZZLED JEAN, I will literally puke. Ok - off the soap box.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:15 PM

71 posts, read 125,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonniIvey View Post
Crosby, ND sucks. We've been here for a year and everyone is the same. Mean, stupid and rude. It's totally true. No one will let you into their inner circle, but be glad - you don't want it. No social life whatsoever unless you grew up here. We moved here in 2012 from the Pacific Northwest, and would not still be here if it wasn't for the excellent employment. Don't try to make friends - you will find none. North Dakotans are bitter and rude and have no sense of what it is to welcome anyone to this state. Go ahead and add that to their complete hatred of women (i.e. Legislature and Women Hating) and this is not a place to come to. It's true - develop a thick skin and be ok with being by yourself because these people are monsters.

Plus, here's some inside info: the winters start In October and end in May. It's bitter cold. The summers are full of tornadoes and thunderstorms. There are no trees. If you are used to spending summers outside - forget it. The ticks will make you crazy. DO NOT walk in tall grass. Oh ya - stores and restaurants are open "at their convenience", which means when you want something, *********. No one ever gives a real taste of what it's like here, but I will. ND is bull****. Their "newspeople" are a joke. They are literally the people you would harass in high school. As a "Newsroom" fan, I am on a mission to "civilize", and I could spend the rest of my life trying to do it for North Dakota. Don't get me wrong - there are some EXTREMELY wonderful people in this state, but it is not the norm. Not by any stretch of the imagination. If I see another BEDAZZLED JEAN, I will literally puke. Ok - off the soap box.
Do you feel better now? (Former Pacific Northwester)

Old 08-04-2013, 11:02 PM

9,173 posts, read 5,374,381 times
Quote:

You sound like a typical Seattle native who thinks everywhere else is beneath them, unless it's San Francisco. Not surprising you don't fit in.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:31 PM

114 posts, read 319,759 times
I have not been on the blog for awhile. Distressing to read #101 post. Your first sentence is the problem, your attitude. I suggest you re-locate to something better suited to you and work on fixing your own area to supply better paying jobs to the residents so they are not re-locating to ND to make money. No reason to stay somewhere you hate. You would be doing yourself and ND a favor.

And no, I am not a ND, but have great respect for the people and the state, they are 'straight shooters' like the people from my own state, hard workers and have a good business acumen.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:01 PM

1,969 posts, read 2,969,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You sound like a typical Seattle native who thinks everywhere else is beneath them, unless it's San Francisco. Not surprising you don't fit in.
I agree. Bedazzled jeans are clearly making a comeback.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:20 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,998,688 times
Quote:

OMG, I laughed soooo hard at your rants. Right off the bat: Crosby, ND sucks. My stomach is aching. The 'news people' comments were hysterical. It sounds tough for you but hang in there. Let it get better for you.

-Cheers.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:28 AM

20,417 posts, read 26,539,344 times
Quote:
They are literally the people you would harass in high school. .
If you are the type of person who "harassed people in high school," that might explain why you're having difficulty functioning in an adult social environment.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,603 times
okay, just move to ND from Olympia WA and I kind of get what your saying. Its like stepping back in time 20 years which can be good and bad. I have lived a big chunk of my life in the pacific NW but also have lived many other places as well. Its obvious this will not be the place you settle down, but try to enjoy it for what it is. I lived in Alaska for years and hated it while I was there but looking back I realized it was pretty bada** . I cant see myself settling here but I'm really trying to embrace all that ND has to offer. If you take the time to venture outside your little community you will see that there is a lot of cool things here. If the residents of Crosby don't want to befriend you well screw it. Fine tune your attitude and move on. Your better than that.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:09 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,512,514 times
LonniIVey, weren't you aware of the weather and landscape before taking the job? You had to have come into that part of it with eyes wide open. Getting to know people in a new town can be a problem, but with folks coming from all over the country for jobs in the oil fields, there are many new people from many places and I would think most are trying to make friends. What about that, huh? So it's not CNN, eh? Are you really surprised at seeing new graduates or people with less talent on a small town news station? Is it hard to grasp why that happens? Turn the channel or read a bigger towns paper. If that's all you have to gripe about, lucky you.

"Civilize" does not mean treating people in a condescending lesser way. That appears to be your problem. I reckon some of those people you view as beneath you could teach you more than a few things. I'd like to see you put this post in the local paper with your real name beside it. Let them know how you feel about them all. It's fine to be there making these "excellent wages" but you don't seem one bit grateful at all for the job or willing to become apart of their community. These uncivilized folks you speak of may well be imports to the area just like you are rather than natives of the state. If you project the same attitude in real life as you do here, I can see why people do not want you in their social circle. No one likes someone with a superiority complex that shows them no respect, courtesy and kindness. Further, people get tired of new comers saying its better where I am from, and this is how we do it there. And don't you have this or that store here, and so on. Adapt and try to fit in or go home.

Then after ripping the area you add you have met some "wonderful" people. Is everyone in the area where you came from wonderful? Or could it be some people are friendly, some rude, some stuck up, some down to earth, some helpful, some unkind? There is a mix everywhere you go. If you have met some extremely wonderful people, what's the problem? Did you allienate them too? I would suggest you move back to where you came from.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:40 AM

18,696 posts, read 35,410,165 times
Thank you all for the unasked for Social Attitude recommendations. Folks can't stay on topic and would rather analyze a person instead of trying to help.

I for one, have had enough. Thread closed.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or