U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 05:34 PM

23 posts, read 80,577 times

Advertisements

I moved to North Dakota from Tennessee, and all I can say is--- it depends where you live:
1) In the western part of the state (think Williston, Dickinson, etc), the social climate is more western. People are polite- but reserved... They have the classic western attitude of you have to prove yourself before you are accepted. If you go there and try to change things, they will resent you. Other than that, the people generally are nice and polite...
2) Around Minot, the people are horrible. They despise outsiders, and like you said, they want us here to work, but then they treat us as if we are immigrants from another country.
3) Can't speak so much on eastern North Dakota- haven't lived there as much.
I can say this- I understand why South Dakota REFUSED to be part of the same state; South Dakota people I have found to be very nice and friendly.
Quite frankly, I am about to move back, but I would NEVER move to the Minot area... As far as I'm concerned, that whole place could dissappear off the map, and it would be no great loss....

Old 09-01-2011, 09:15 AM

203 posts, read 526,183 times
Moved to Minot a year ago, and, while the town itself is not exciting, The locals have been perfectly friendly. Not as friendly as West Texas, but perfectly polite ( except for the driving. What is it with Yellow / red lights in this town?). I will say that they may be a bit reserved, and that many families have been here for generations, hence, everyone knows one another. At least that's what I gather from work, my kiddo's school, and the locker room chat at the Y.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertrev View Post
Moved to Minot a year ago, and, while the town itself is not exciting, The locals have been perfectly friendly. Not as friendly as West Texas, but perfectly polite ( except for the driving. What is it with Yellow / red lights in this town?). I will say that they may be a bit reserved, and that many families have been here for generations, hence, everyone knows one another. At least that's what I gather from work, my kiddo's school, and the locker room chat at the Y.
Your observations are very good. I have family in Minot area and I have lived in the Grand Forks area since moving up from southwest Missouri (originally from Kentucky). Folks are reserved.....what is commonly called Minnesota Nice...but that is from the mainly Scanadian and German culture roots of the immigrants to the area back in the later 1800s. You will not get run over with a welcoming when you arrive, but if you ever needed help you will receive assistance no questions or expectations expected.

Red/yellow light is not a Minot thing it is a entire regional thing. I tell my young son around here yellow light means speed up so you can squeeze through.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:57 PM

203 posts, read 526,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Your observations are very good. I have family in Minot area and I have lived in the Grand Forks area since moving up from southwest Missouri (originally from Kentucky). Folks are reserved.....what is commonly called Minnesota Nice...but that is from the mainly Scanadian and German culture roots of the immigrants to the area back in the later 1800s. You will not get run over with a welcoming when you arrive, but if you ever needed help you will receive assistance no questions or expectations expected.

Red/yellow light is not a Minot thing it is a entire regional thing. I tell my young son around here yellow light means speed up so you can squeeze through.
True enough. Have never lacked for a jump start, borrowing/ loaning a mower, etc... I did meet one guy from Mass. at the Y who complained about his neighbors north of Minot. However, like many from the NE, he was a bit vocal about his opinions, support of Obama, etc... Folks here seem not to be too loud, showy, etc... Perfectly polite in the stores, gun club, lifting/ replacing weights, quiet at the movies, etc... One guy even let my daughter shoot his $2000 rifle first time we met at the range.

I'll have to watch out for those drivers during motorcycle season. Haven't seen folks that ballsy since Boston. Glad my other cars are a Volvo and an SUV.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:51 PM

15 posts, read 37,644 times
Western North Dakota is still feeling bitter because of the last oil boom/bust. Right or not, the communities and residents saw what happened when a large influx of "outsiders" came in when times were good and then left when times were bad. Places like Williston and Watford City never came close to recovering from that bust until this latest boom came around.

I think a lot of "locals" are just concerned that these so-called "outsiders" are intent on coming in, making money, trashing the place and then heading out when the paychecks dry up. Give it a bit more time and people will lighten up.

I'm willing to bet it won't be too much more time before "outsiders" outnumber the "locals" in most western North Dakota towns.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:39 PM

979 posts, read 3,349,770 times
"Red Yellow" lights? I'm confused on that one... if you are referring to traffic lights in "general" MOST traffic lights around the country have the standard Red-Yellow-Green lights...GREEN is 'go'...Yellow is "warning the light is going to change to red" and "red" is stop. But, I am wondering if they are talking about the Red-Yellow flashing lights at some intersecitons or along busy roads? Usually this means the intersection is not busy enough to qualify for actual controlled street lights...so they hang the Yellow and Red Flashing lights to remind people "Red" flashing means STOP and "Yellow" means you have the right of way, but be careful when you pass through the light. Usually the Red flashing light is on the side street of the intersection and the yellow flashing is on the main street that runs through the intersection.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:35 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
"Red Yellow" lights? I'm confused on that one... if you are referring to traffic lights in "general" MOST traffic lights around the country have the standard Red-Yellow-Green lights...GREEN is 'go'...Yellow is "warning the light is going to change to red" and "red" is stop. But, I am wondering if they are talking about the Red-Yellow flashing lights at some intersecitons or along busy roads? Usually this means the intersection is not busy enough to qualify for actual controlled street lights...so they hang the Yellow and Red Flashing lights to remind people "Red" flashing means STOP and "Yellow" means you have the right of way, but be careful when you pass through the light. Usually the Red flashing light is on the side street of the intersection and the yellow flashing is on the main street that runs through the intersection.
Hi Roloff1976

I am sorry I meant to say yellow/red like wondertrev....in that I was referring to what seems like a high incidence of those who love to start moving through the intersection as the yellow light is there only to turn red when they are in it. or those that gun the gas pedal when they see a yellow light so that can just squeeze through the intersection as the light turns red. I have had to wait many a times, when my side is green, those turning left and are still in the intersection while I have the green light. The rushed the yellow as it was turning red.

Sorry for the confusion....

Dan

Old 09-01-2011, 08:20 PM

7 posts, read 31,417 times
Williston native's are greedy whiner's, the boom happened to the wrong town.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:31 PM

56 posts, read 88,421 times
What's wrong with the newcomers?????

Old 09-02-2011, 10:15 AM

477 posts, read 1,375,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymac50 View Post
Williston native's are greedy whiner's, the boom happened to the wrong town.
Well, I have lived here in Williston most of my life and I am not greedy! The greediness is coming from both the "local" and "outsiders" there is no line to be drawn to say it is one or the other.

Too many people are narrowed minded and don't understand that there are all kinds of people and you can't group them into one standard way of how they act.

We (or most of the locals) don't like the way people are taking advantage of others looking for places to live and with other things. I hate it, I think it's disgusting, however, it's not my fault what others are charging what they are.

Uggg, it's just a terrible type of crossroads we are all in here. I highly doubt any other town would turn out much better with all the change, influx of population, building, price gouging, and total balls to the wall drilling that is going on here. However, I will say this town does need a bit more fire under their pants to get some things moving...like new traffic lights, and the truck bipass that would help soooo much right now and alleviate a lot of the crazy traffic in the city of Williston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or