U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 02:16 PM

203 posts, read 526,183 times

Advertisements

It's an oil boom. Saw the same in West Texas in the 70's and early 80's. Change can be difficult, and causes friction.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:58 PM

7 posts, read 31,417 times
Hey broncogirl,I did not mean to say all the local's bad,I just wish that the local's would take out there anger on there own townfolk that take advantage of everybody including there own,It was unreal the greed in that town not worth the money i was making.I have since moved to another boom town different state same money but the people seem more grown up whole different story.Good luck to you....

Old 09-04-2011, 12:20 PM

16 posts, read 78,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickey280 View Post
My husband came out here (Watford City) 1 year ago and is working in the oil fields. I came out here in December with our kids. All I hear from the locals is that they want us people gone we are trash. My kids 11 & 7 have come home in tears because local kids aren't allowed to play with those kids. WTH? We are not trash we are working paying taxes trying to contribute to the community. I hear it at work, and where I work they have ran all the outsiders out of and now sit and complain about how they are so over worked because of all the outsiders here. I know a few families that the wife and kids have moved back home cuz they can't deal with the comments. I know its an adjustment for the locals and it is hard to deal with all the growth but it's an adjustment for the families too, geeze I moved 1500 miles from home. We are not trash and what does that say about North Dakota people when they are saying stuff like that to children. Come on pull up your big girl panties and deal with it. Just because some people are bad don't mean all the people are bad. I don't discriminate against all black people because once we were car jacked by a black guy. I am just sick of it, say crap to me is one thing but say the same stuff to my kids and it is unacceptable.
I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with this. Over the last year my sister and I have both moved from the West Coast to the Midwest. My sister in a town south of Williston (Plentywood? I think) and my family to Grand Forks.

Although it was an adjustment for her she has been fine and her family embraced in the community. I had a rough first three months or so, but as soon as the snow melted and I met my neighbors it's been wonderful. I homeschool, so I am not sure how it would have been for us in that scenario, but the other homeschooling families have been fantastic. Even though I am not Christian and the other families are they have not excluded me and have been quick to invite us to all of the activities in the area.

I wish I could suggest a friendlier city, but I just do not know the area. If it were my own children it would be tearing me apart. Does your husband work daily or could he get work in rotations? If he could get say 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off etc.. I would consider moving out of the area to a friendlier city! I know that's not ideal, I wish I had better advice. Good luck!

Warmly, Lara

Old 09-04-2011, 06:05 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,983,932 times
I had the complete opposite experience. This is a beautiful area with great people.
"No one can make you jealous, angry, vengeful, or greedy -- unless you let him."

- Napoleon Hill

Old 09-07-2011, 07:42 PM

477 posts, read 1,375,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymac50 View Post
Hey broncogirl,I did not mean to say all the local's bad,I just wish that the local's would take out there anger on there own townfolk that take advantage of everybody including there own,It was unreal the greed in that town not worth the money i was making.I have since moved to another boom town different state same money but the people seem more grown up whole different story.Good luck to you....
It's okay, lol, I know what your talking about, I really do. Good luck to you too!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:26 AM

142 posts, read 364,745 times
I spent a week last month in Watford City. My husband works there while I reside in NW Wisconsin. He has been out there for 15 months. I do plan to move there next summer. We have grown children so it will just be me moving west.
I was VERY impressed with the people, especially the teens in Watford City. Three times during that week I was greeted with a smile and a a "Hello" by teenage boys. These young men had their pants up on their waist, their baseball caps were worn the correct way and their appearance was "clean cut". As a mother who raised 3 sons, I can appreciate their curtiousness. I spent a few hours on Main Street in Watford City during "Rib Fest". The folks there appeared to be a mix of newcomers and longtime residents who were all interacting and enjoying a fun filled day. I certainly felt a sense of community.
If folks there feel that their world has been turned upside down a bit, I can understand. This boom does not bring a positive impact on all of the folks but I'm sure it does for most. I can see both sides.
I plan to move there with my gratitude for the oppertunities that have been given to us in this "boom". With the good paying job my husband has, along with adequate housing, we look forward to spending about 10 years there until my husband retires.
We were outsiders when we moved to NW Wisconsin nearly 30 years ago. We too felt a bit out of place at first, but over the years it became home.
I can overlook the traffic and the road construction and the dust. America needs this oil and it's a small sacrifice to pay for bettering the economy of our GREAT Nation.
It's not a perfect world but I know of no one here in my community in WI that would not LOVE to have this economic boom. Like most things in life, it's what you make of it!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:46 PM

123 posts, read 590,142 times
Yeah I thought people were crazy when they would say the locals call us oil field trash but then I went to work in town with the locals. Almost every other day one of my co workers would say, " no offense but we just want you guys gone you've ruined our town." The doctors at the hospital talk about how the outsiders have brought new diseases never seen to this part of North Dakota.

They seem to forget that its some of their friends and neighbors that signed the paper to allow the oil to be drilled and its their friends that run the businesses and rental homes and have raised prices to ungodly prices.

Not all locals are jerks and when there is a group of 'outsiders" they are nice but when its a group of local jerks they will talk crap infront of and to a signaled out outsider. I had to quit my job cuz I was tired of coming home in tears every night.

Be upset, don't like me cuz I am not from around here but to say crap and discriminate against me and my family. I tell my kids to play nice so the adults in this town should also.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:30 PM

231 posts, read 771,822 times
Some of the locals everywhere are jerks, it's just in their nature. That isn't anything confined to the oil boom towns. Being an oilfield worker just gives them something to be a jerk about.

By and large the locals will be friendly, but there are a few bad eggs that make everyone look bad.

One thing that is a problem for the locals is that a lot of the transient workers in the oilfield treat the area like their own personal trash can. They talk crap about the weather, the people, the prices, the job, and wonder why nobody goes out of their way to welcome them. They act like idiots in the bars, drop F-bombs in the restaurants, and when the weather turns cold and they run away, they leave a huge mess for the people who are still there.

Can't we all get along?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:39 AM

18,696 posts, read 35,415,173 times
Take a look at it from the locals point.

No one can expect a boom of this magnitude. A person used to drive back and forth to work and encountered a few cars, but not a traffic jamb. They went to the Grocery Store and got a gallon of mile for $2.50. Their kids used to walk to school but now there is so much traffic that parents no longer feel that their children are safe with all the traffic. The favorite place to go out and have a drink is now standing room only. They used to go to the restaurant once a week to get out of the house. Now there is an hour wait to get in the door.

A person worked for $12 and hour and wasn't getting rich, but they were comfortable with home and job. Today, with grocerys 3 times what they used to be, they are still making $12 an hour.

They had job security and a career mapped out so they didn't take a boom job, they kept the job they've been at for 10 years. Be glad they did or you wouldn't have anybody service oriented.

So I can kind of understand the locals viewpoint, however, there is never a reason to be outwardly rude or hateful.

Their infrastructure is ruined. City budgets have planned for expansion, road improvement, etc... But now the town has doubled but for the most part there is only half the people putting money into the tax base for personal property tax. So I would imagine that some locals believe they are being taxed to fix road, gutter, street lights, fire, police, ambulance and yet the people coming in are not contributing.

I also realize that sales from local business has gone up dramatically. But not everybody owns a business.

It's been mentioned that people are price gouging and that is an absolutely true statement. But not everybody is a landlord. The majority of the people own a single home, work at the local store and have no investments.

So to combat things, property taxes go up to pay for all the ammenties that a person doesn't even realize. But 10 years from now when the boom colapses, you can bet they're not going to lower property taxes. Something about Government, the numbers always go up, never down.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 09-09-2011, 11:59 AM

394 posts, read 1,047,053 times
I should pull up the thread we had going back about a year ago about rents, and prices.

I guarantee you that if you owned property, and it had been renting for $500, and someone came to you and said I will give you $2500. Every single on of you would take it. You are depriving your family of income, and a better life if you don't.

Listen, you go out to that area to make a darn good living for blue collar work, expect to have to pay for all the down sides to that boom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or