U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,708 times

Advertisements

Is this town, Tioga, ND, accepting to African Americans starting a business in their town? Please be real!

Old 09-14-2011, 02:38 AM

231 posts, read 771,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaboutBusiness View Post
Is this town, Tioga, ND, accepting to African Americans starting a business in their town? Please be real!

Wow, that is a tough question. I don't think race would play as much into it as what type of business are you starting and who are you competing against. If you plan on duplicating services which are already offered there, you might get a very cold reception in a town the size of Tioga. If you offer a unique service and you seem trustworthy, there shouldn't be a problem. At some point, I'm sure you would run into a couple idiots, but they would be few and far between.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:59 AM

549 posts, read 1,269,913 times
I agree with the OP. People in ND are not warm and accepting. Sometimes they can be polite but it is forced and they don't really want to talk to you. My husband is stationed at Minot AFB and we are just "basers". Not to mention, if the base wasn't here...where would the town be? Probably non-existent or much smaller than it already is. I think it is just a different in culture, but in the south, people are generally very nice and welcoming, generally not all of them. Generally, people up here...are not so much. I am so glad I am getting out of here in a little over a month! Hope things work out better for you.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:15 PM

231 posts, read 771,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I agree with the OP. People in ND are not warm and accepting. Sometimes they can be polite but it is forced and they don't really want to talk to you. My husband is stationed at Minot AFB and we are just "basers". Not to mention, if the base wasn't here...where would the town be? Probably non-existent or much smaller than it already is. I think it is just a different in culture, but in the south, people are generally very nice and welcoming, generally not all of them. Generally, people up here...are not so much. I am so glad I am getting out of here in a little over a month! Hope things work out better for you.

The thing that most people from North Dakota probably don't understand is that it is not a reflection on you, but a cultural defense mechanism. Once they find out you don't want them to buy anything, or take away any of their time, they will be polite. Once they become comfortable with you being there, they will welcome you as a friend. Once they include you as a friend they would would probably go well out of their way to help you, if you are in need.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:21 PM

741 posts, read 1,483,022 times
Culturally, North Dakotan's seem to speak their mind bluntly, especially when stressed, without regard to how their opinions harm someone else. In German and Norwegian immigrant families, issues were often stated in a matter-of-fact way, just as a matter of efficiency in communication, as survival on the plains meant work had to be done right then and there. This seems especially predominant in more rural environments, where people are more isolated and there hasn't been a lot of interaction with outsiders.

The results of work - not words - are what are valued. Most of the ND people stating "harsh" things don't mean to be harsh - they actually mean well - but are wanting action, or lamenting something that they've lost or something that they fear. But both work and having a way with words matter.

Having lived in the South and West, have learned that some of the bluntness I had learned from my North Dakota background was often very much inappropriate in a different social setting. There are ways to communicate effectively that don't alienate others.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:18 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,081,168 times
This fits my in-laws very well....the work ethic. They are approaching their 60s and have lived in the rural areas south of Minot all their lives. They mind their own business....will help others without questioned....but they value their independence and solitude too. Not ones to make small talk and can be a bit hard to know unless up break their exterior.

Getting to the question posted about Tioga. Small towns can be real hard to crack....but there are lots of new blood in that area eager I am sure for some new business. That said I dont think your race matters at all for locals, it is your actions and your manner. How respectful are you of them and the area when you arrive. But like any new business venture it is awfully hard to get off the ground and make a success. You must visit the town and see what is there and what its needs are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
Culturally, North Dakotan's seem to speak their mind bluntly, especially when stressed, without regard to how their opinions harm someone else. In German and Norwegian immigrant families, issues were often stated in a matter-of-fact way, just as a matter of efficiency in communication, as survival on the plains meant work had to be done right then and there. This seems especially predominant in more rural environments, where people are more isolated and there hasn't been a lot of interaction with outsiders.

The results of work - not words - are what are valued. Most of the ND people stating "harsh" things don't mean to be harsh - they actually mean well - but are wanting action, or lamenting something that they've lost or something that they fear. But both work and having a way with words matter.

Having lived in the South and West, have learned that some of the bluntness I had learned from my North Dakota background was often very much inappropriate in a different social setting. There are ways to communicate effectively that don't alienate others.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear your husband got another assignment. Hope it suits you better than Minot. It is ok not to like a place, not everyplace is for everyone.

Best of luck!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:07 PM

549 posts, read 1,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Glad to hear your husband got another assignment. Hope it suits you better than Minot. It is ok not to like a place, not everyplace is for everyone.

Best of luck!
My husband actually did not get another assignment, I just applied for jobs out of Minot and I am leaving myself. We plan to meet up later but I just can't stand it here anymore and need to be able to actually make money! That's why I went to school

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
My husband actually did not get another assignment, I just applied for jobs out of Minot and I am leaving myself. We plan to meet up later but I just can't stand it here anymore and need to be able to actually make money! That's why I went to school

Thanks!
sorry about that.... not the best situation but you are doing what you have to do to stay sane. best of luck

Old 09-16-2011, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,722 times
North Dakota people are NICE to the face, stab you in the BACK! Get used it, it's PART of the reason 30 years ago so many us left that nasty state. No jobs, and then the nice to the face stab you in the back then they all go to church on Sunday, join together after church to talk gossip crap for lunch. ND, not for the whimps - you best be able to handle their bullcrap and dish it back or you will be pushed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or