Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 01:18 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMOM View Post
North Dakota people are NICE to the face, stab you in the BACK! Get used it, it's PART of the reason 30 years ago so many us left that nasty state. No jobs, and then the nice to the face stab you in the back then they all go to church on Sunday, join together after church to talk gossip crap for lunch. ND, not for the whimps - you best be able to handle their bullcrap and dish it back or you will be pushed out.

I wonder though, if that is true of other areas too? I'm sure every where have their little groups and such.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:39 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
I wonder though, if that is true of other areas too? I'm sure every where have their little groups and such.
I've seen several statements on here that disturb me, and I'm sure they really didn't mean to use such a wide brush to paint the picture. Because if they did intend to use the wide brush (North Dakota People), they also included themselves while living there. If they did in fact mean to use that wide brush for "everyone", except themselves, then I fully believe that they are the problem.

I hope you can sort through that and take it for what it's worth. I've lived all over the country and I've found places I would not go back to because it was uncomfortable being there. But it was me that didn't fit in, it wasn't the entire populace that was the problem. So sort through it and realize that not everybody is going to fit into every situation. I've met good people and I've met bad people but I NEVER found a place that was all good, nor a place that was all bad.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:29 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by come_back_kid View Post
Clique
I hear a clicking sound

Old 09-16-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I've seen several statements on here that disturb me, and I'm sure they really didn't mean to use such a wide brush to paint the picture. Because if they did intend to use the wide brush (North Dakota People), they also included themselves while living there. If they did in fact mean to use that wide brush for "everyone", except themselves, then I fully believe that they are the problem.

I hope you can sort through that and take it for what it's worth. I've lived all over the country and I've found places I would not go back to because it was uncomfortable being there. But it was me that didn't fit in, it wasn't the entire populace that was the problem. So sort through it and realize that not everybody is going to fit into every situation. I've met good people and I've met bad people but I NEVER found a place that was all good, nor a place that was all bad.
Oh yes, I quite agree with what your saying. I totally understand you got good and bad wherever you go, no matter what/who they are. I can say I have met both good/bad from here and I am a "local" I have lived one place out of state for about 5 months and yes it was hard to make friends and fit in. My statement above was just more of a thinking out loud type of thing where I should have explained more of what I was thinking.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:08 PM

125 posts, read 645,354 times
At the hospital an outsider nurse's face was spit in and told I don't like you, you outsider. The person told her go tell, she has worked there for 30 years and grew up with everyone there, they won't care. And she was right.

It's ok not to like us but don't blame us for your neighbors and friends jacking up the prices of everything. I have heard cops in this town complaining that they can't go home and watch TV during their shifts cuz it too busy, really your mad cuz you have to work your whole shift and earn your money? Or the doctors telling local patients that all these outsiders are bringing new diseases never seen in north dakota before, so stay away from these outsiders....

Don't like me thats fine but keep your mouth shut and be nice, thats what I tell my kids. I don't like it here in fact I hate it but there is work here and my Hubby likes it out here so I am taking one for the team. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean its a bad place it means I just want to be home.

It also realize that both sides (locals and outsiders) are lumping everyone into one of those categories and it is not fair. Not all locals are bull headed jerks and not all outsiders are scum of the earth. I have a whole outsider family here that is out here making this home, what is the guidelines for how long I have to be out here to not be an outsider anymore?

As I said before growing pains suck. We all have to adjust but it is gonna be hard and painful.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:33 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickey280 View Post
At the hospital an outsider nurse's face was spit in and told I don't like you, you outsider. The person told her go tell, she has worked there for 30 years and grew up with everyone there, they won't care. And she was right.

It's ok not to like us but don't blame us for your neighbors and friends jacking up the prices of everything. I have heard cops in this town complaining that they can't go home and watch TV during their shifts cuz it too busy, really your mad cuz you have to work your whole shift and earn your money? Or the doctors telling local patients that all these outsiders are bringing new diseases never seen in north dakota before, so stay away from these outsiders....

Don't like me thats fine but keep your mouth shut and be nice, thats what I tell my kids. I don't like it here in fact I hate it but there is work here and my Hubby likes it out here so I am taking one for the team. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean its a bad place it means I just want to be home.

It also realize that both sides (locals and outsiders) are lumping everyone into one of those categories and it is not fair. Not all locals are bull headed jerks and not all outsiders are scum of the earth. I have a whole outsider family here that is out here making this home, what is the guidelines for how long I have to be out here to not be an outsider anymore?

As I said before growing pains suck. We all have to adjust but it is gonna be hard and painful.
You do know that to punch somebody is a misdemeanor crime. To spit on somebody is a felony assault. Wonder why something wasn't done?

All of my neighbors (at least a large portion of them) are working up in ND oilpatch. NONE of them have encountered anything but friendliness from the residents. At most, at a restaurant one night a waitress was short with them and then came back after a couple minutes and appologized. She was covering a second shift because a co-worker hadn't shown up.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:03 AM

25 posts, read 67,955 times
i like to say that i have been researching a move for about a month.

i am not moving or coming up in desperation, but for a new challange
(i have other income coming in)

i am the last of 10 children, mom and dad still together, yes, catholic. of course. male 37, have great woman and 5 year old daughter, i am one of those who "hold the door" kind of people, Dad worked 3 jobs to provide, mom never worked until I graduated from High school. i have 6 sisters,, get my drift.. i wanted $125 dollar Jordon shoes, dad gave me $20 bucks,"find the other $$", i got a job at 13, made LOTS of money. Received Full ride to Ohio State University, started a few companies, semi retired, 37. I know the value of a good days work, and the dollar. All instilled into me by my parents, and family.

My biggest fault is seeing people take advantage of the system, welfare, etc,, i know there is a need, but as a business owner, i pay for this. and in ohio,, its getting smashed!!! and drives me nuts..

i fully understand the locals, and understand their brash "front" that they have to put up. yes, its a natural defense mechanism. So without even knowing me why do we as a culture "group" everyone together?? Its natural.. a classic melting pot, of diverse cultures.

all i can say to the locals, is RIDE the wave and take advange of it, its the AMERICAN WAY. America was built on the backs of Immigrants.(whether foreign or next state over) and Capitolism,,, ahh,, its refreshing to say.. been awhile...... and good to see at least one state is still doing it.... take advange of it...... find a demand in this market and take advange of it,, whether its, selling shirts, car wash..to trucking oil, get in now,, get out before the bust.... look around, what does your town have a SHORT of?? ps -love to know.....

man.... lots of opportunity with an over expanding town,, and dont worry about the roads,, the BILLIONS of state tax dollars you guys are getting, is a, "surplus" in your state fund,, WOW,, did i say "SURPLUS" yes i did,, things will get fixed, just the demand for housing is eating up the contractors,, it will all balance out... i bet within a year or two, some one will get caught for "greed" in the state for theft.. its coming.....

from the outside, its exciting to see. very exciting,, from the inside,, i see you picture also... ride the wave... its better there, than most places in the US.
in most towns in the US,, there is HIGH unemployment, no money for schools roads, and taxes are going up, and UP.. and your income has been locked in since the crash of 08-09. and your value of your home is down 20%. and all you hear is,, no work,, no work.do you have any work. i get my gov check this week....UGGG.. drives me nuts....

try to look at the positive bright side, we can only control, what we do, you do... and its starts with one person, saying hello, or holding a door open.. if you dont like the brashness,, dont go to those places... and for the mistreatment of your kids, i'd be in that school faster than you know what talking to the principle.... ASAP!!! etc,,

Last edited by 68427vette; 09-23-2011 at 08:12 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 08:15 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You do know that to punch somebody is a misdemeanor crime. To spit on somebody is a felony assault. Wonder why something wasn't done?

All of my neighbors (at least a large portion of them) are working up in ND oilpatch. NONE of them have encountered anything but friendliness from the residents. At most, at a restaurant one night a waitress was short with them and then came back after a couple minutes and appologized. She was covering a second shift because a co-worker hadn't shown up.
I agree. I've been up here for a year and a half now and I love it. It's a difficult area to live in and it's very stressful right now, that being said I have met a lot of locals and I get along with them really well. They know I'm not from around here, but we tend to share common interests and even in the areas we don't they don't seem to care.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 AM

I have experienced many locals going out of their way to accommodate someone new to the area. Last week my and my partner in crime were up in the Crosby way for a job, and we stopped at a local place to eat. The waitress and several customers(locals) along with me and my partner tried the best we could to help a new couple to the area find some ideas for housing. In the end the waitress called someone she knew where there was an opening to be soon in an apartment and the info was given to the new couple. If your new to the area and looking, don't forget to ask your service people in regular jobs for ideas on housing, you might get lucky.

I don't understand the spitting thing myself. Is someone pulling our legs here? I mean really, if someone spits on me they better be ready to deal with the repercussions!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 AM

25 posts, read 67,955 times
there are always bad apples,, in any group, local/ or move in's... i always thought if there was a NEWS station, that would only tell the GOOD stories,,, of the the days events... what would be the ratings.... i never watch the news,,, all it is, is KILL this , dead that, caught this person,, etc... never,, good.. i try very hard to not watch reality shows, crap crap crap... or the shows with a BEEEEP, every two words,, really?? how is that entertaining? and what good does it do for society, and what does it teach our kids?? thats its ok, to do that??

if we try to do good,, good will happen... ahh Karma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota