U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:12 PM

84 posts, read 167,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickey280 View Post
My husband came out here (Watford City) 1 year ago and is working in the oil fields. I came out here in December with our kids. All I hear from the locals is that they want us people gone we are trash. My kids 11 & 7 have come home in tears because local kids aren't allowed to play with those kids. WTH? We are not trash we are working paying taxes trying to contribute to the community. I hear it at work, and where I work they have ran all the outsiders out of and now sit and complain about how they are so over worked because of all the outsiders here. I know a few families that the wife and kids have moved back home cuz they can't deal with the comments. I know its an adjustment for the locals and it is hard to deal with all the growth but it's an adjustment for the families too, geeze I moved 1500 miles from home. We are not trash and what does that say about North Dakota people when they are saying stuff like that to children. Come on pull up your big girl panties and deal with it. Just because some people are bad don't mean all the people are bad. I don't discriminate against all black people because once we were car jacked by a black guy. I am just sick of it, say crap to me is one thing but say the same stuff to my kids and it is unacceptable.
The last rig site I worked on in 1981 was just outside Wateford City. I feel terribile for you and your family that the locals aren't receptive to people moving into the community. Seems it was much the same way when I was there 30 years ago. But it was because most of the rig workers then were rather uncultured and had big fun in the local bar/tavern. Many times with dire consequences (fights over money or women or both).

Try and rise above these scoundrels and enjoy your lives in North Dakota. As stated in other replies I would have to bet that most of these foul sentiments are coming from people that are jealous and narrow minded. As I remember Waterford City (was there just a couple years ago) it was still much the same little town it was back then too. No progress for the town implies that the residents may not want change but the oil patch will bring change like it or not.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:25 PM

I want to add my own experience since I was raised in Bottineau, ND on my grandparents farm unitl I was about 11. I can remember the "Farm" kids being teased by the "Town" kids and the general sentiment being the same way with the adults who lived in "Town". Kinda a superior over you attitude because they lived in town. Never figured that out since most of the "Town" population came out to the country to fish and hunt. Huuummm? Anyway, my experience when we moved to Eastern Kentucky was much the same at first but then we were accepted readily and I enjoyed the rest of my childhood living in Kentucky and then Eastern Tennessee. I can describe it this way and again this is just my opinion and experience. The attitude of the people in a given geographic areas is reflected much the same as the weather. The south is usually warm and inviting much quicker than any place in the north. I met and made friends in both places but the initial relationship building period was much slower for me with people in North Dakota, Montana and South Dakota than Kentucky and Tennessee. The sense of humor is completely different as is the dialect. It would be helpful if you take this into consideration as your North Dakota neighbors may have some sort of preconceived notion about you as you may have had (unconsinousily or consinousily) about folks from North Dakota.

What I'm really trying to say after all this is it takes two to make a friendship and many times than not that percentage of effort is never 50/50. You being the outsider may have to bear the burden of working harder on these relationships to become accepted into the community. I wish I had a better answer but it sounds like noting more than LIFE.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:33 PM

One last point I want to make is that the city I live in has a larger population that the entire State of North Dakota and I live in Kansas. We don't have too many "Large" cities in our state either. Understand there aren't a whole lot of people that are natives living in North Dakota. For a while it was a problem for many small towns in North Dakota that their young people were leaving the state for jobs and careers elsewhere.

I can remember several towns offering student loan repayment, housing and even cash bonus's being paid to get doctors to setup practices or to attract young graduates to setup their practices in the state.

My dad's family is from North Dakota and all of my cousins are living in some other state. Does that tell you anything?

Last edited by smokey831831; 11-06-2011 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: Added comment.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:02 PM

249 posts, read 578,560 times
Just remember if you're out late at the bar... When you hear..."YEEHAW!!!!... it's time to leave...LOL

Old 11-08-2011, 08:54 PM

90 posts, read 323,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer2122 View Post
just remember if you're out late at the bar... When you hear..."yeehaw!!!!... It's time to leave...lol
lmao!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:20 AM

443 posts, read 698,131 times
Q. What's wrong with the locals? A. They are North Dakotans.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 AM

581 posts, read 2,048,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer2122 View Post
Just remember if you're out late at the bar... When you hear..."YEEHAW!!!!... it's time to leave...LOL
Those aren't locals. Those are texas transplants. We aren't red necks or hicks we are norwegians.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:18 PM

443 posts, read 698,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
Those aren't locals. Those are texas transplants. We aren't red necks or hicks we are norwegians.
Q. What is wrong with the locals? A. They are North Dakotans and Norwegians.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:42 PM

4,472 posts, read 5,132,148 times
The locals are having to deal with the problems of the boom and only a hand full of land owners and the oil companies are getting rich. I can see why they are upset.

Traffic is one of the biggest stressors in most peoples lives and these people never used to have to deal with it, now they have increased stress for no gain.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:10 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,525,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
The locals are having to deal with the problems of the boom and only a hand full of land owners and the oil companies are getting rich. I can see why they are upset.

Traffic is one of the biggest stressors in most peoples lives and these people never used to have to deal with it, now they have increased stress for no gain.
I've heard these complaints from numerous locals. In the words of one of them "we want our town back". I totally sympathize with them and would feel the same way. For me coming from a big city environment, traffic here isn't much of a problem for me - beats where I came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or