U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 PM
 
Location: augusta ga
1 posts, read 2,022 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Question looking to move to ND also single parent of 3 boys and need work where can I go and where are the non flood zones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2012, 08:01 AM
 
Location: New York City, NY
6 posts, read 12,542 times
Reputation: 10
Default Here buddy, I just spotted this job a few days ago

Its man camp security guard at Williston. I do remind you to ask if the employer will provide you with sleeping quarter ( you should pay but at least you dont have to hunt for a space and you don't need to commute ) since they are the sleeping quarter people. Get your foot into the door first so to speak, get to kbnow the workers there and then find a higher paying job of your own choosing without stress.

Good luck, buddy

Career Opportunities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Joplin, Missouri
635 posts, read 1,358,739 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC1973 View Post
Question looking to move to ND also single parent of 3 boys and need work where can I go and where are the non flood zones?
I'm not a ND expert but I am a single mom that may move up there. I would suggest going to a larger community to ensure employment. If you didn't like your first job you would still have other opportunities. Such as Fargo, Bismark, Grand Fork (think). I know Fargo had a flood some years back...just ask (as you did) where the safest places to be in that town are just in case. The Oil towns sound pretty chaotic to me...some may like that. I'm very cautious...I want a community where employment will be easy (relatively) and if I lost (quit) that job I wouldn't have to move again but just get another one. I want a lot of opportunities in one place. The only draw back to me about Fargo is it is a big apartment living community. Cost of living is good which I looked up Bismark and it is considerably higher for rent. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 07:35 PM
 
15,833 posts, read 18,460,249 times
Reputation: 25622
Fargo is the best place for your single Moms to find employment, decent priced rentals and good schools. It isn't al apartment living in Fargo....there is a good mix. There are houses for rent as well as apartments. Check the rental websites and get moved before winter so that you can acclimate. I wouldn't recommend moving anytime after Oct. The students leave the end of May...so more places usually available...But they come back July-Aug. Time your move, apply online, get some jobs lined up. Grand forks is also a very nice place to live and raise kids. Lots of good schools, about half the size of Fargo. Plenty of retail jobs, and office jobs. JobND is a good website, or NorthDakotaJobService. There are colleges in both communities, so if you wanted to go back to school check on student housing, cheaper rent. Good luck to you both. Ask if you have questions.

Last edited by JanND; 07-01-2012 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2012, 05:46 AM
 
Location: Joplin, Missouri
635 posts, read 1,358,739 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Fargo is the best place for your single Moms to find employment, decent priced rentals and good schools. It isn't al apartment living in Fargo....there is a good mix. There are houses for rent as well as apartments. Check the rental websites and get moved before winter so that you can acclimate. I wouldn't recommend moving anytime after Oct. The students leave the end of May...so more places usually available...But they come back July-Aug. Time your move, apply online, get some jobs lined up. Grand forks is also a very nice place to live and raise kids. Lots of good schools, about half the size of Fargo. Plenty of retail jobs, and office jobs. JobND is a good website, or NorthDakotaJobService. There are colleges in both communities, so if you wanted to go back to school check on student housing, cheaper rent. Good luck to you both. Ask if you have questions.
Thanks Jan, you always give such great posts. What I have noticed about most (not all) houses that I have seen for rent in Fargo is that they are considerably more expensive. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot. Most of Craigslist's advertisement is apartments. Certainly not a bad option to start. Many include part or all utilities. Job situation looks really good. It doesn't look like Lakes are very far away. Stats for crime look good for a city that size. It would definitely be nice to have cooler summers.....already reached 100 degrees here in June! Scares me to think about August (hottest month).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2012, 06:23 AM
 
15,833 posts, read 18,460,249 times
Reputation: 25622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Thanks Jan, you always give such great posts. What I have noticed about most (not all) houses that I have seen for rent in Fargo is that they are considerably more expensive. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot. Most of Craigslist's advertisement is apartments. Certainly not a bad option to start. Many include part or all utilities. Job situation looks really good. It doesn't look like Lakes are very far away. Stats for crime look good for a city that size. It would definitely be nice to have cooler summers.....already reached 100 degrees here in June! Scares me to think about August (hottest month).
Since Fargo is a major college town, w/ at least three colleges in the area I'm sure that large houses may go for more because of the potential to have multiple roomates. Do some checking in the local news paper, The Fargo Forum...also check the small town type papers for towns near Fargo. N.D. folks don't always advertise in a conventional way....Craigs list wouldn't be the best source imo Grand Forks houses seem to rent high too. We used to pay 1200 mth...when we were renting. Check w/ realtors, rental agencies, small town news papers North Dakota Newspaper Association � ND Newspapers
Let me know if you need more help. Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2012, 05:05 AM
 
Location: mandan, north dakota
15 posts, read 39,640 times
Reputation: 19
Default perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Keep in mind, you are getting some advice from people that are NOT in North Dakota, NOT in the work force there, and don't have a job in the Oilfield and have never been there.
that might be true for some, but last i looked out my window i was in bismarck, nd staring at the mighty missouri river. i've been hear since march 5th, no i dont work in the oilfield, but those arent the only jobs that appear to be plentiful in bismarck/mandan. my contracting firm has 'imported' 6 contract programmers in 3 months, and this is a long way from everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2012, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis,MN
159 posts, read 317,475 times
Reputation: 57
I know that was a pretty little Snyd remark that was made. I know my jobs have taken me to Williston ,Bismarck,Dickenson,Fairview,MT,Sidney MT. and a few other PO dunk Towns on the west side. And a bunch on the east side. My last Job before medical leave was for Bob Cat out of Gwinner and Bismarck. Thats why i havnt had very much time to put very many posts up on here. Have known about the oil jobs for about 2 and a half years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,241 times
Reputation: 11
I'am 62 yours old . Like most people i can't retire .
I am in good health and in good shape. Presently selling cars.
I do not have a degree . I have a mechanical mind and have managed up to 40 people.
how can I get a entry level job in the oil field so I can gain experience to move up. I would like to work eight more years. ND with housing and overtime is what I am looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Fort Wayne
360 posts, read 650,581 times
Reputation: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 years young View Post
I'am 62 yours old . Like most people i can't retire .
I am in good health and in good shape. Presently selling cars.
I do not have a degree . I have a mechanical mind and have managed up to 40 people.
how can I get a entry level job in the oil field so I can gain experience to move up. I would like to work eight more years. ND with housing and overtime is what I am looking for.
Unless you have a sizable bankroll, a lot patience and a thick skin, moving to North Dakota may not be an ideal situation for a man of your "vintage." Seriously, I was up there three years ago,I have been in contact with a close friend who lives in the area and the job situation in the oil fields is trailing off from what it is was even a year or two ago.

I had consider moving up there again myself and I had been keeping a close eyes on things. While I understand that they have plenty of lower skill work available, oil field work now is limited to experienced hands who either have years of experience (3-5 minimum with most outfits) or who have CDLs and clean driving records. If you have neither, then you would simply be moving to another state to find a job that pays the same as what you might earn after an intensive search in your own area.

There's also the extreme lack of affordable and available housing. North Dakota seems to be petrified that its going get stung again when this boom ends, so they have really limited the building of housing to levels which have driven rental prices through the roof. Williston and Dickinson (twin areas where the "boom" is going on) have some of the highest real estate prices in the United States. Williams County (where Williston is located) has placed a moratorium on the building of man camps (among the cheapest housing for single males) as well as RV and trailer parks.

Finally, most oil field work is outside labor in extreme temperatures. This takes its toll on younger men (I'm 47 and it nearly kicked my butt) so it may be even harder for you. The weather can drop into subzero temps in the winter and stay there for days on end. There are also almost no trees, so there is little to block the wind which nearly always blows. And even the brief summer period can be somewhat humid.

Some friendly advice: If you are seriously planning on moving to the Upper Plains, the Twin Cities in Minnesota or the bigger "cities" in ND would be a better fit for longer term living and a better quality of life. Both areas have relatively low unemployment (with Fargo and Bismarck being lower than the Twins) and they both have exceptional medical centers in case health care is an issue.

You might wish to begin in those locations, find employment and then consider if the area is to your liking. If it is, then relocating to the oil patch (Western and NW North Dakota) will be a relatively simply move. If not, then you'll at least be able to find employment and a good quality of life.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top