Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 05:39 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
The problem is that those small town are not where the oil boom is and they are also experiencing many of the same issues as the boom areas. Prior to the boom, ND was losing population and was in danger of becoming a collection of small interspersed settlements rather than a functioning state.

The boom essentially saved North Dakota but it has also come with a price. People not realizing that prior to trying their luck are bound to face serious disappointment or worse when they discover that they are relocating to an area which cannot easily accommodate them.
That’s kind of a half cooked falsity. The state has always had a huge agricultural and growing industrial economy. It’s almost kind of sad that people think North Dakota they only think oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 06:09 PM

435 posts, read 453,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I wonder if being a car or truck salesman in Williston is a good gig.
Select Ford in Williston is one of the top Ford dealerships for it's size in the US. Truck salesmen in North Dakota are quietly making a fortune.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:29 PM

360 posts, read 811,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
That’s kind of a half cooked falsity. The state has always had a huge agricultural and growing industrial economy. It’s almost kind of sad that people think North Dakota they only think oil.
What is a "half-cooked falsity?"
Is that even an accurate term?

Here's a news story from 2000 prior to the oil boom indicating that North Dakota's population was falling:North Dakota Population Decline Continues

Here's another:Depopulation: The Great Plains drain | The Economist
This one shows that fewer people live on the Great Plains now than they did the 1800s.

Here's the censuses for 1950-2000:

1950 United States Census - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1960 United States Census - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1970 United States Census - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1980 United States Census - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1990 United States Census - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2000 United States Census - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The largest increase in population during that time was only 15K. That's fewer people than would be expected due to births and relocations. It was almost no growth at all.

Here's a list of North Dakota towns which are shrinking. They are all in "agricultural areas":The Decline of Small Town North Dakota - GhostsofNorthDakota.com : GhostsofNorthDakota.com

Clearly all of the above show that the current oil boom is THE ONLY reason that North Dakota's population has risen in the last 10-20 years. People were moving out; they weren't moving IN.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:39 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
The problem is that those small town are not where the oil boom is ...
Sure they are ( where the oil boom is ).

There are wells all over the place and there are service businesses headquartered in the small towns.

Just because there are less jobs in the small towns doesn't mean they aren't part of the boom.

The suggestion of looking at the nearby small towns was for the housing. It's possible to work in Williston and not live there. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the "imports" to ND for work didn't actually live in Williston.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:53 PM

65 posts, read 117,379 times
Actually, most are packed into Williston, Watford, and nearby mancamps as most of the other towns are dinky and have little housing available. Housing prices in Minot are quite affordable now and if a person didn't mind an hour commute to an oil town like Stanley then that's a decent option to consider.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:58 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
Actually, most are packed into Williston, Watford, and nearby mancamps as most of the other towns are dinky and have little housing available.
Irrelevant. Every dinky little town has multiple housing options available. I only need one house/apartment.

Even towns with only 100 permanent residents can have 100 to 200 living quarters where people who have no intention of staying more than a couple of years. The turnover in the small town within 50 miles of Williston and Watford and Dickenson, where I live, has been mind-boggling. There are less than 200 residents here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
Housing prices in Minot are quite affordable now and if a person didn't mind an hour commute to an oil town like Stanley then that's a decent option to consider.
Decent? After a 12-hour work-day? I don't think so.

People that are willing to put up with 1-hour one-way commutes are people willing to waste a significant portion of their lives just staring out a windshield. Live simpler and live closer. 1-hour commutes are just stupid unless it is very temporary.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:11 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
While I think he missed the mark on the gist of his post, it was indeed true that ND was losing population to the point of asking the question, "how many people does a state NEED in order to still function?"
It was a fear every legislative session addressed in the early 00s. It was a constant conversation on the local TV stations. And let's not forget the brief drive to remove "North" from the state's name to make it more appealing to those who might be interested in moving to the state. lol

Old 04-11-2014, 07:42 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,594 times
And don't forget the "Buffalo Commons" proposal of Frank & Deborah Popper (Urban Planners, Rutgers U.). In 1989 they proposed that since there was depopulation of the Northern Plains anyway, that the Western part of ND should be turned into one vast nature preserve--without residents. Their proposal included forced relocation.
It wasn't well received in the region . . .

Old 04-15-2014, 11:42 PM

65 posts, read 117,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post

Decent? After a 12-hour work-day? I don't think so.

People that are willing to put up with 1-hour one-way commutes are people willing to waste a significant portion of their lives just staring out a windshield. Live simpler and live closer. 1-hour commutes are just stupid unless it is very temporary.
No need to be condescending. Commuting is stupid for you perhaps but hour commutes are common in Minneapolis where I'm originally from. Live in the ghetto or drive. Hell, I worked with a guy in Grand Forks who commuted from Moorhead. Whatever floats a boat. At least Minot has (cheaper) shopping, dining, and entertainment options not available in the Bakken. It's an option that saves money despite the added fuel cost. And more so if you work with a roommate and spit cost.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:27 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,161 times
Suppose I'm Willing to live out of my car in North Dakota

Willing to work 100 hours per week

Am fine with 1 week of total annual sick+vacation pay

Will work for under $15/hour

I do not take lunch breaks

Will work indoors, outdoors, -30 degrees, makes absolutely no difference

What are my options? I happen to have a CPA license and I can recommend numerous federal tax minimization strategies. Also will be glad to internal audit for some oil field persons.

What are my options in the most undesireable part of the state?

Obviously I am not totally nuts. Would negotiate up and would want a fixed contract and some stock options or profit-sharing agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota