Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:43 PM

73 posts, read 202,609 times

Advertisements

I'm in Williston right now. Let me tell you what I was told and what they jobs services are telling applicants. If you don't have a place to live (house, apartments, motel) then don't bother coming up. It's cold outside and their is no housing. I have followed up with oil field employers and they all told me where you staying. I told them the truth because you can get fired once they find out. They said once I find housing for the long term to give them a call back to see if they can find me something. They have had too many people quit and cost the employers money for training. Last night I woke up at 1am from the cold. I was too lazy to grab my extreme sleeping bag in the back seat so I just grabbed an ol' military issue blanket. Tonight it's supposed to be in the negative degrees so I won't be lazy this time around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 12:47 PM

287 posts, read 687,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsfinest View Post
I'm in Williston right now. Let me tell you what I was told and what they jobs services are telling applicants. If you don't have a place to live (house, apartments, motel) then don't bother coming up. It's cold outside and their is no housing. I have followed up with oil field employers and they all told me where you staying. I told them the truth because you can get fired once they find out. They said once I find housing for the long term to give them a call back to see if they can find me something. They have had too many people quit and cost the employers money for training. Last night I woke up at 1am from the cold. I was too lazy to grab my extreme sleeping bag in the back seat so I just grabbed an ol' military issue blanket. Tonight it's supposed to be in the negative degrees so I won't be lazy this time around.
Hang in there man you're gonna find something Im sure, be patient and be safe.

Peace , Jax.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:54 PM

53 posts, read 189,927 times
I am sorry that you are having to go through that, hopefully you will find some housing soon. I am not there so I can only ask questions and make suggestions. If you see a posting that says they provide housing, is it safe to assume those jobs have a lot of applicants and therefore harder to get?

Old 11-18-2011, 01:38 PM

89 posts, read 166,880 times
It's cold at night right! go to walmart get an overnight job. If Williston WM isn't hiring try Minot or Dickinson. That takes care of the night temps. During the day, get a 2nd job one at a food place so you can eat. Some of the best advice on this board has been, get a job any job then work your way to the oil field.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:53 PM

73 posts, read 202,609 times
Some guy I met today took the Walmart supervisor test and passed with flying colors but then they asked him if he had housing and living in a RV didn't count so they denied the interview process. Also, some guy died in the Wal-Mart parking lot a couple nights ago so the police gave notices to everyone in RV's and trailers. The paper said you will be given a ticket and towed away. Everyone here said the parking lot looked like a circus by all the equipment in the lot.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:57 PM

325 posts, read 862,007 times
Quote:
Some guy I met today took the Walmart supervisor test and passed with flying colors but then they asked him if he had housing and living in a RV didn't count so they denied the interview process. Also, some guy died in the Wal-Mart parking lot a couple nights ago so the police gave notices to everyone in RV's and trailers. The paper said you will be given a ticket and towed away. Everyone here said the parking lot looked like a circus by all the equipment in the lot.
Is there a link to a news story about this death?

Old 11-18-2011, 05:38 PM

174 posts, read 377,654 times
Quote:
No one died...Walmart just wanted everyone gone so they called the PD to clear them out.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 PM

81 posts, read 202,527 times
When I interviewed I lied about housing. I just used a gen delivery address. Everything was fine and I found rent. Always tell them that you have housing even if you don't. If you want a job ofcourse.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:28 PM

4,145 posts, read 3,875,254 times
Quote:
Chance of death is far greater inside of Walmart than the parking lot as holiday season approaches. Some shoppers are down right vicious. I recall a few years back where I live two women were arrested as a knock down drag out fight occurred over a shopping cart.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 11-18-2011, 06:29 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,108,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Competitive Eater View Post
I want to know from real ND residents, because you can't trust the media. I'm 35, have few career options, and live in an area with EXTREMELY high unemployment. I was laid off back in April of 2009 and haven't worked since. My last job was as a security officer. I have a college degree, but it's basically worthless b/c it's a BA in General Studies. I'm in good shape & tried to join the military, but I'm too old they say. There are few jobs in this area, and what makes things worse is that cronyism and nepotism are rampant. It's impossible to get a job on your own merit, it's all about who you know here.

I constantly hear that there are jobs in North Dakota working for the oil industry or driving trucks, but is this true? I'm not going to be too picky if I relocate, I'm not above flipping burgers or mopping floors, I just need any job. Sitting at home all day and doing nothing just sucks. I'm not intimidated by the weather, it's nearly as cold here in the winter. I can deal with 30 or 40 below, all you gotta do is layer up a lot and make sure every bit of skin on your body is covered.

Should I try and look for jobs in ND?
My renter tells me that Williston has a real need for construction/handy man type workers. This is primarily because any construction crews quit when they find out that they can make more money on a rig. Sounds though that the immediate hiring that was taking place previously, has come to an abrupt halt, because there are too many ppl here looking. I sot of wonder how long before the companies cut their wages.....the old supply and demand factor...but I digress...My point is, if you can pound nails, or have any skills that you could offer in the way of a handy man, you could more than likely be successful running your own handyman business. There are also companies building here. Someone may know there contact info. The problem of course, housing. Of course, if you moved to the eastern part, or even Bismark for a job offer, you could then get an idea of how to eventually move to the oil field. As I hear it, there is a boom in the panhandle also, just not as well known. Have you checked the ND Jobs website for possible security jobs, there are bound to be some with the Dept. of Corrections, or private companies. There are plenty of very informative postings on here. Good luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota