Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:29 PM

581 posts, read 2,212,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka03 View Post
When I interviewed I lied about housing. I just used a gen delivery address. Everything was fine and I found rent. Always tell them that you have housing even if you don't. If you want a job ofcourse.
That is not very good advise. Start out by telling a lie. You will be found out and it won't end good. If you want to KEEP a job, you won't BS the guy who hires you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:45 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,698,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
That is not very good advise. Start out by telling a lie. You will be found out and it won't end good. If you want to KEEP a job, you won't BS the guy who hires you.
Yes and no. Employers aren't allowed to ask certain questions that could be considered prejudicial towards labor laws. I'm not sure baring anyone for not having permanent or semi-permanent housing would fall under that category or not. Then again I can see there reason for asking. If there is a chance you won't show up for work because you froze to death in you're car the night before then I understand their concern.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Yes and no. Employers aren't allowed to ask certain questions that could be considered prejudicial towards labor laws. I'm not sure baring anyone for not having permanent or semi-permanent housing would fall under that category or not. Then again I can see there reason for asking. If there is a chance you won't show up for work because you froze to death in you're car the night before then I understand their concern.
Good point but applications do require an address and if that address is found out to be false that is falsifying a legal document. Grounds for termination.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:10 PM

81 posts, read 202,552 times
That's why I wrote gen adress in the adress section. Look I didn't drive 1300miles to turn around and go home. Now I have an amazing job and im happy. Also these guys are so busy that they don't have time to check your address. That would be a waste of time for them. Im here im working and that's what I did. Hate it or love it

Old 11-18-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
That's why I wrote gen adress in the adress section. Look I didn't drive 1300miles to turn around and go home. Now I have an amazing job and im happy. Also these guys are so busy that they don't have time to check your address. That would be a waste of time for them. Im here im working and that's what I did. Hate it or love it
I'm just saying most wont be so lucky. I'm sure you got on with a casing crew that is a local company and doesn't even look at an app. Bigger companies don't tolerate this sort of thing. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:25 PM

287 posts, read 687,720 times
Quote:
Good for you, Im glad you followed your instinct and found a job.

Don't let anybody try to stop you from achieving your goals.

Too many Mother Teresa's Wannabe around here.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxTeller View Post
Good for you, Im glad you followed your instinct and found a job.

Don't let anybody try to stop you from achieving your goals.

Too many Mother Teresa's Wannabe around here.
I'm also glad he found a job. I have posted many many leads on this forum. I don't need to explain why being honest is the right thing to do. I'm no mother teresa. I try to give it to ya straight.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:02 PM

81 posts, read 202,552 times
I got hired for the biggest casing company. And they so look at the apps. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck to all and thanks.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:07 PM

60 posts, read 156,582 times
I made the trip up to Minot based on information found on this site seeking work in the oil fields. I arrived Tuesday afternoon, had a interview Wednesday morning and then went to ND Job service and talked to the Veterans rep. Thursday was a wasted day at the Baker Hughes job fair and was never even seen. Today I went to Frac Tech after then lead from the Vet rep. Hired as a Etech and start in 2 weeks. Was also offer another job today from the interview I did Wednesday, but that is not ready for a few more months.

I am retired Navy and stayed on base for $35 a night. I ate in the dining facility for less than $8 a day. I am not bragging but pointing out I never would have driven 1700 miles one way to come to ND without a place to eat and sleep.

Good luck to those in search of work. It is out there but I suggest having the basics needs before coming up. Wait till warmer weather at least. The jobs will still be here.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:07 PM

325 posts, read 862,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Sounds though that the immediate hiring that was taking place previously, has come to an abrupt halt, because there are too many ppl here looking. I sot of wonder how long before the companies cut their wages.....the old supply and demand factor...but I digress..
From the sounds of it, based on what some are saying here, that is already happening. Less than three weeks ago I know a woman with no experience who got hired for $25/hr. Just a few days later we were getting reports on this forum that the oil companies were offering less than $20/hr for "newbies".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota