U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:37 AM

15 posts, read 25,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbound12 View Post
Are we parking Rvs in Wm parking lots in Minot too? Or are there rental lots available there? If so what are they running a month?......thanks
pretty sure walmart is 'done' with the RV's parked in parking lots.

Walmart In North Dakota Boomtown Evicts Squatting Oil Workers From Parking Lot

Walmart Is Tired Of All These North Dakota Oil Workers Sleeping In Its Parking Lot - Business Insider

Walmart gives oil workers 24 hours clear out of Williston parking lot

but apparently when the rubber hits the road, folks find other alternatives.

Williston Walmart campers finding alternatives to parking lot

I'm headed to Bismarck in a couple of weeks for a job as a contract computer programmer at pretty good rates. apparently the oil boom is making this huge 'whoosh' and sucking all sorts of people into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 02:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,347 times
So what is the advice? Do you take a chance and go to ND or not? I have a class A CDL and cannot find work in Alabama. I need a job. I can also do construction work. What do I do and where do I go in north Dakota?

Old 06-22-2012, 02:49 AM

159 posts, read 212,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big peeps918 View Post
So what is the advice? Do you take a chance and go to ND or not? I have a class A CDL and cannot find work in Alabama. I need a job. I can also do construction work. What do I do and where do I go in north Dakota?
Do you have much Exp. with your CDL that is what makes the Diff. If you have some driving Exp. start looking online first and calling around and make sure the company will provide houseing for you. If a company wont help with housing dont bother with them its not worth your time. If it all fails in ND some big hartless trucking company will give you a shot even with no exp. Unless you have a bad DAC report Try TheTruckersReport Forums too

Old 06-22-2012, 08:32 AM

I wouldnt suggest 'moving' anywhere without a job. but if you can afford to come up and look around (and you have an open mind) you WILL find work here. Might not be the work that you want, but you will find some kind of work.

Hells bells, I see fast food restaurants here advertising $12/hour in Bismarck and we are 100 miles from the oil fields. I've got a full time job paying good money and I'm about to take a second part time job just because I can. There is that much work around here.

My suggestion, come up and take one of the less desirable jobs immediately in Bismarck while you figure out the lay of the land. Spend your 'off' time finding the job you really want that exploits your skills. You cant sling a cat around here without hitting a construction site in Bismarck.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:36 AM

and they dont use craigslist up here much. BisManOnline - Free Classifieds is the site the NoDaks seem to prefer

Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 AM

17,895 posts, read 22,600,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big peeps918 View Post
Keep in mind, you are getting some advice from people that are NOT in North Dakota, NOT in the work force there, and don't have a job in the Oilfield and have never been there.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:45 PM

159 posts, read 212,540 times
But some know abit about the whole country and have done and seen much more than strangers might think. But i think he might be saying dont ask opinons from strangers.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:55 PM

113 posts, read 140,001 times
I did it with research and phone calls. Landed in Bismarck and the next day was hired

Old 06-25-2012, 08:31 PM

158 posts, read 261,961 times
If you're willing to do anything you can find work ASAP. If you have CDL experience you should be able to find work pretty quickly. I moved here with no job or housing and started working my "second" day here. I lived out of my car at the Walmart in Minot for ~1 month. When I really started to look (took time off from day labor) I started getting calls by the end of the week. One of them was for a CDL class A driving position. I was pretty much being stubborn and only going for driving positions (as I didn't want to waste $3k)... having no experience it took a little time. Did that for a 2 weeks and the whole situation at my company I basically didn't like so I looked for another job for half a day.... had two interviews finished two more weeks at the trucking company and then started on a wireline crew.

One thing I didn't mention is the number of "no"s I had to give people. I told people "no" as I was filling out hiring paperwork for another job a few times. Once I started planting the seeds... it wasn't instant but in about a week to two weeks after calls started coming in.... and more... and more.

My brief timeline:
  • 3/30 - 9pm arrive in Minot
  • 4/2 - Look for work
  • 4/3 - Started doing day labor at Command Center
  • 4/24-ish - Started driving class A vehicles
  • 5/20 - Last day at employer / moved into paid hotel room
  • Did fit test and waited on drug test results... did some day labor while waiting
  • 5/24 - moved into company apt and started working wireline
  • 5/26 (For added info) - Left for rigs
  • 6/23 - returned from rigs because frac has to do inspection on their iron
  • 6/26? - Return to rigs

Old 06-25-2012, 09:16 PM

8,393 posts, read 7,237,233 times
Robione....You experience is exceptional....but there are many others, especially in Williston that are not having an easy time. The church has remained open as there are so many folks homeless/jobless. Minot seems to have less oil field trauma going on, and a steady supply of day jobs unlike Williston. From what I'm hearing and reading Williston has gotten tougher to find jobs, especially oil field jobs. Being prepared mentally and monetarily to wait until you get calls or responses to your apps is critical. It isn't the same experience as it was even several months ago. Newcomers beware, jobs w/in days of arriving are not the norm, and depend on your qualifications and other work related experience. Please plan wisely. Read the many threads advising newcomers and job seekers. This recent arrival had some very helpful advices for others planning to come...please read moneymike thread Good luck, and be safe.
Made it here: Advice for Newcomers ( 1 2 3)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota