Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,092,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
Look into opportunities in Education. There are a lot of openings for educators throughout ND. You'd have decent pay, good benefits, and a nice retirement pension. You could find an oil related job during Summer break to supplement your income.
That is actually a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 03:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,005 times
Lots of job in North Dakota. You can easily get job if you have appropriate degree.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,989 times
My husband is a carpenter and has owned his own small construction company for 20 years. He has been laid off for quite some time due to the economy problems. We live in Iowa so we are use to the cold. His plan is to go to ND and find either construction/carpentry work or a driving job. He just got his CDL permit and is taking another CDL driving class. Would he have a better chance of getting a construction/carpentry job or a driving job? Which would make the best money? We have an RV so housing wouldn't be a problem, he would stay in there, providing he could find a place to park it? Any help or advice is appreciated.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:58 AM

45 posts, read 86,054 times
I'm coming up in march and will take any job for starters, but eventually want something directly in oil and gas. Any advice. I've got an RV.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:22 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,638,373 times
My husband was laid off a while ago and is thinking of coming over to North Dakota, to look for work in the oil field. Where would you suggest he starts to look? He's looked online, but doesn't come up with any direct places to apply.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 AM

155 posts, read 420,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokahi117 View Post
I'm coming up in march and will take any job for starters, but eventually want something directly in oil and gas. Any advice. I've got an RV.
North Dakota Oil Jobs and Employment in the Bakken Oil Field in ND |North Dakota Oil Jobs

jobsnd.com

williston shopper (just google it) and in the back there are many jobs

Old 02-10-2012, 09:35 PM

7 posts, read 14,169 times
to all of you guys, here's how it is - coming from someone who moved to minot a month ago. 1) housing really does suck, so get an rv. you'll be JUST FINE so long as you don't mind running the generator often and can live in it for some time if need be. housing is limited and expensive 2) although it has so far been a mild winter, bring clothes that will keep you warm. can't overstate that enough. carhartts are awesome. layers. you know the deal. 3) JOBS ARE EVERYWHERE...i repeat...IT IS THE PROMISED LAND OF EMPLOYMENT. no signs of slowing down, despite what all of the naysayers are spouting. in the month so far, i'm on my third job and just got hired for a fourth (first oil-related one, Baker Hughes, woot woot - excellent company). i walked out of the first two because they straight up sucked (and yes, i have had crappy jobs before and do understand the value of work). 4) this brings me to my next point. as there are so many oil industry jobs available, the class of people that choose to stay employed in regularly lower-end spectrum jobs are GENERALLY unmotivated ****heads that have absolutely no motivation to succeed when success is just right down the street. 5) i currently work at a hardware store and make 14.50/hr, which isn't to shabby. i knew i'd have to wait on the baker hughes job for a bit, so chose to get other employment in the mean time. DO THIS. even if you don't have your dream job right away, i guarantee within two months you could be making the money you moved out here for. 6) if you have common sense and have covered your basic necessities, you will have absolutely no issue with moving here. i'm in my early twenties with absolutely no job experience other than friggin restaurants and a few years of college with no degree. just be confident and assertive when talking with potential (oil) employers. chances are an oil job has some element of danger, and supervisors want employees they can trust to keep a cool head and get done what needs to be. there is no ceiling for advancement with the right mindset. new sites are put in all day, errryday, and positions need to be filled. 7) lastly, when you get here, don't be like every other person and buy a brand new $50,000 truck. i'm so ******* tired already of these big jacked up, ****** in the head, pickups i see everywhere. not really my business how you spend your money, but be smart. this oil isn't here forever. on the upside, that is just another example of all the new wealth here. lived all around the states and several foreign countries, and i've never seen this many new cars. so to sum it all up, THERE ARE JOBS EVERYWHERE! can't stress it enough. anyway, good hunting and trust me, there is opportunity everywhere. it's just what you want to do with it. peace.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 02-10-2012 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 02-11-2012, 09:54 AM

45 posts, read 86,054 times
Hey docmephesto. Thanks very much man for taking the time to give its such a detailed response. It really means a lot. You sound just like me. I run my own construction business and during the boom everyone got a jacked up truck and a boat, etc......and then the boom died, and they sold them all for dimes on the dollar. I realized the value of saving, which is the only reason I started afloat so long after the boom left. But I leave soon to get my cdl, and then in march take my RV to north Dakota.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:50 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,038,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmephesto View Post
7) lastly, when you get here, don't be like every other person and buy a brand new $50,000 truck. i'm so ******* tired already of these big jacked up, ****** in the head, pickups i see everywhere. not really my business how you spend your money, but be smart.
I wonder if being a car or truck salesman in Williston is a good gig.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,061 times
Are we parking Rvs in Wm parking lots in Minot too? Or are there rental lots available there? If so what are they running a month?......thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota