U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,293 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are looking to move to North Dakota and wanted to know about the job market for an Admin Assistant and a Chef. I heard on the news that everyone is hiring, but I wanted to make sure before we moved. We are originally from CA, but recently moved to Boise, ID and looking to move again in August 2012.

Also, thinking of opening a pizza shop, and wanted to know if there are many mom and pa shops over there.

What is the average rate of a 2 bedroom apartment?

Thank you all so very much for your time and help! We look forward to your replies and will respond!

Angela & Brady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 08:29 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,110,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angvynis View Post
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are looking to move to North Dakota and wanted to know about the job market for an Admin Assistant and a Chef. I heard on the news that everyone is hiring, but I wanted to make sure before we moved. We are originally from CA, but recently moved to Boise, ID and looking to move again in August 2012.

Also, thinking of opening a pizza shop, and wanted to know if there are many mom and pa shops over there.

Thank you all so very much for your time and help! We look forward to your replies and will respond!

Angela & Brady
Hi

I live/work in the Grand Forks area....and the far eastern part of the state is growing as well....though not as fast and we are not in oil country. But Grand Forks and Fargo have the two largest state universities and thus a pretty large college age community, who would love pizza.

Fargo and its metro area is by far the largest place in the area with metro pop (including West Fargo and Moorhead MN) of nearly 200k and 3 universities in the area (NDSU in Fargo and Concordia and Minnesota State Moohread in Moorhead MN). So there is a youthful population.

Bismarck I know the least about but is it also growing but I have always seen it as more of a family town and there is a college there but Bismarck's college age pop is quite a bit less than GF or Fargo area.

Minot as Minot State Univ but with the recent flood, its housing shortage is extreme. Though the town is growing by leaps and bounds, and would be open to a mom and pop pizza business likely. But housing would be a drawback.

Williston and oil area is growing like crazy and also has an extreme housing shortage.

Mom and pop type stores have always been the area bread and butter, but in the last decade we have seen more and more chain stores come in. That said there is always room for a good eating place. Minot might be a hot spot to consider due its large growth at the local air force base recently, but housing will be a bit tough to come by. Fargo has almost always had the lowest rental rates of any of the larger ND cities. Bismarck and Grand Forks are a bit more expensive on average.

Not to leave out, you have Jamestown...Dickinson...and Valley City as each have a 4 yr college. These are smaller cities (pops less than 20k) but also would have less chain and more mom-pop type stores.

Job-wise....Bismarck and Fargo and recently Minot have been growing the fastest job wise (outside of oil rich Williston).

For rents....tough one as so much depends on what you want. But for a decent nice newer 2 BR I would say 600-900 (at least in Grand Forks)

Hoped I have helped some....

Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 AM

203 posts, read 527,283 times
FYI,

Minot is getting a Spicy Pie next to the college. Branch of Fargo shop.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,293 times
thank you!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 PM

7 posts, read 22,000 times
we moved to Osnabrock/Langdon area 3 months ago......almost wishing we'd of gone to Fargo or even Grand Forks instead! The people we've met have been the nicest people we've ever come across, and as much as I love the peace and quiet and safety factor.....it's lonely out here!! Still don't have anyone to visit with or do anything with and for the life of me can't figure out what people around here DO for fun! LOL! Otherwise, ND has been good to us.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:25 PM

741 posts, read 1,486,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaddino View Post
we moved to Osnabrock/Langdon area 3 months ago......almost wishing we'd of gone to Fargo or even Grand Forks instead! The people we've met have been the nicest people we've ever come across, and as much as I love the peace and quiet and safety factor.....it's lonely out here!! Still don't have anyone to visit with or do anything with and for the life of me can't figure out what people around here DO for fun! LOL! Otherwise, ND has been good to us.
School and church civic activities are big, as well as working on outdoor and indoor hobbies, and hunting / fishing (during season). That area has lost a tremendous number of people over the past 40 years.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:42 PM

741 posts, read 1,486,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angvynis View Post
Hi Everyone,

Angela & Brady
Housing is a problem almost everywhere in the Bakken oil area. It's not a question of cost, but a question of finding housing.

Williston and Dickinson and a number of smaller towns are all begging for more restaurants right now (in Williston, the wait to get to get seated may be an hour or more if not much much worse, even fast food isn't fast). The problem is not only housing, but the lack of labor for food service, and the lack of restaurant facilities. Maybe you could find a developer or a town that wants a pizza shop (call the local chamber of commerces). Also, check some of the smaller town like Tioga, Stanley, Watford City, Killdeer - they more likely have cheap and available storefronts in their downtowns. The demand for food in places like are huge. What's really needed are places that offer an array of pizza at lunch immediately and then to-order in the evening. The smaller town option would be higher risk, but it would be much cheaper to get going, and you'd have less competition.

Another option would be to find a small place in eastern North Dakota and your husband to work (generally two weeks on, one week off) and live in a mancamp (if he can find the space) and drive back and forth. There's actually a lot of Admin type jobs in Grand Forks (Amazon.com is hiring there) and nearby (DigiKey is hiring 400+ in the next several months - located in Thief River Falls, MN). That way you could save money to open a place later.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,340 times
Cool pros and cons of moving to Minot, ND from California

I too am considering Moving to Minot. I currently live in Ca and am tired of the politics here. My daughter goes to college in Minot and loves it there but she isn't sure about making it her home for life. I know we would miss the ocean and better weather. Can someone help me in making my pros and cons list.

Pros and cons of Moving To Minot, ND from California
PRO's
Job avaliability (lots)
Politics
Lower house price
City Community envolvement
Divirsity
Lower crime rate
Can get a job 14
Can drive at 14
Lower student ratio for classes
Lower college tuition

CON's
Leaving Family and friends
tornadoes
flooding
mosquitos
the ocean and mountains
cold & long winters
Kids can drive at 14

Old 09-26-2011, 04:20 PM

3,116 posts, read 6,983,511 times
Minot might have lower housing prices compared to California, but they're not that low. There is a huge housing shortage right now (after the flood) and there was a big shortage even before that. Finding an apartment is now nearly impossible, and it will be even worse if you have pets. You might want to consider Bismarck instead; which is a much nicer city IMHO.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM

231 posts, read 773,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patbocko View Post
I too am considering Moving to Minot. I currently live in Ca and am tired of the politics here. My daughter goes to college in Minot and loves it there but she isn't sure about making it her home for life. I know we would miss the ocean and better weather. Can someone help me in making my pros and cons list.

Pros and cons of Moving To Minot, ND from California
PRO's
Job avaliability (lots)
Politics
Lower house price
City Community envolvement
Divirsity
Lower crime rate
Can get a job 14
Can drive at 14
Lower student ratio for classes
Lower college tuition

CON's
Leaving Family and friends
tornadoes
flooding
mosquitos
the ocean and mountains
cold & long winters
Kids can drive at 14

Pro's
No mountains to block the beautiful sunsets
Scraping ice from car windows and shoveling snow is good cardio exercise
Slightly less mosquito's than Minnesota
Krumkake to die for
drive 15 minutes in any direction and literally be all alone
Meet new friends while sandbagging
There's always enough wind for flying your kite

Con's
Few illegal immigrants means citizens get to work long hours for low pay
It's mandatory to wave at every car you pass by in a small town
Don't even think about not owning a 4 wheel drive
Must pass along gossip to anyone who will listen
Tractor traffic jams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota