Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:48 PM

7 posts, read 23,195 times

Advertisements

I'm Getting my things ready to head to Williston. I was curious to know if I should haul my camper with me? I am hoping to get a job with a company where i can live in a man camp. Is it hard to find a job with one of these companies because they offer housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:44 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,078 times
If you don't have housing lined up before you come, you need to bring your camper. There are many companies looking for workers that don't have man camp slots available. Generally, the larger corporations have man camp slots - while mom/pop type companies are begging for people.

Consider Dickinson too, which is a bit warmer in the winter, and has job climate second only to Williston.

Remember though, that winter is approaching. Temperatures have already dropped below 30 F during the early morning.

Almost all of the smaller towns around Williston (east almost to Minot, south to Dickinson, north to Crosby, and west to Wolf Point), are badly in need of workers too. Killdeer, Watford City, Alexander, Sidney, Tioga, Stanley, Ray, New Town, Parshall, Plaza, Crosby, Powers Lake, Columbus, just to name a few.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:51 PM

7 posts, read 23,195 times
where are people finding places to park campers? With winter coming the campgrounds are closing.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:48 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemu13 View Post
where are people finding places to park campers? With winter coming the campgrounds are closing.
Most campgrounds don't close they shut off water and sewer service.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
Most campgrounds don't close they shut off water and sewer service.
Doesn't shutting off water and sewer service effectively close the campgrounds? Are there any alternate sources for water?

Old 09-20-2011, 06:04 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Is it even feasible to try and live in a camper in North Dakota during the winter? Most campers are really not made for 4 seasons.

Jasper

Old 09-20-2011, 07:26 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric872 View Post
Doesn't shutting off water and sewer service effectively close the campgrounds? Are there any alternate sources for water?
No. 100's if not thousands are living in campers year round in the williston area. U have to haul water and a septic service company has to come pick up your wastecwater. You are right, campers are not made for it but it depends how desperate you are. The company I work for had 50 campers in the yard for the past 2 winters. Last winter was the worst in 50 years and this one is suppose to be worse. Not for the faint at heart.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 PM

81 posts, read 234,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Is it even feasible to try and live in a camper in North Dakota during the winter? Most campers are really not made for 4 seasons.

Jasper
Some people reinsulate the inside of the campers to make it hold heat better. Try living in one with a -40F actual temperature and 35MPH or higher winds outside.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:09 AM

477 posts, read 1,506,618 times
I am sure if your coming up to the western side of ND your in a somewhat kind of financial bind where you can't afford to buy the insulated campers. These are nice, very nice Northwood Manufacturing: Arctic Fox Camper

However, you can buy insulated panels to skirt around the outside of your camper that helps alot, they are made specifically for that purpose. RV Winter Camping
Surviving the winter in your RV
Recreational Vehicle (RV) Insulation
Recreational Vehicle (RV) Insulation

It can be done, but do you want to be the one doing it? There are some camping spots being advertised though, I think I saw one ad up in a local grocery store, and maybe a few in the Shopper.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:43 PM

182 posts, read 478,395 times
It is definitely doable in a camper. I have done it in Alaska when going to Fairbanks and the Interior. It certainly requires being attentive to the surroundings of your system. You have to have heat though. Cause the pipes freeze so easily and it is not easy to fix if they break. Generally they have above ground tanks for the waste and then mild heaters and then they have trucks take the waste.

A buddy had his water heater with a T connection and routed it to go into the Intake and would have it run on timer to purge the lines to the sink. He ran a hose in recirculate when needed under extremes of -45 or below that happened. Never had a problem with the pipes and lines. Just a periodic purge would keep the water temp up to 40. With no issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota