U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-24-2011, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,627 times
Default Going to ND for a job...oil field info please

I'm 19 and currently living in Michigan, but I (and my family) are originally from North Dakota. I'm thinking of going back in a few months to work and save up money for 6 months to a year to help get myself through college and throw some money in the bank. I've been looking online (mainly job service ND) and all the oil field jobs I'm finding are ones that require a ton of past experience or you have to be 21 and/or have a CDL. Are there any other ways to find oil jobs in/around Minot or Williston? I hear of people being hired in a day and they don't have experience, so I take it there's a lot of general labor type jobs that will provide on-the-job training?

I know there's tons of other jobs, too, but I want the oil fields because of all the available over time. I want to go out there to work and save money, not just get a full time job and only be able to live there and not save money. In other words, I don't want to move out there just to bring in $2000 a month after taxes. I'd be perfectly fine with $14/hr as long as I can get a good amount of over time every week.

Last edited by ned132435; 09-24-2011 at 03:33 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 06:13 PM

81 posts, read 140,461 times
If you are serious about it, try taking a trip out to these areas for a day or two if you can. This would give you the oppurtunity to see some of the jobs that are available in these areas, and if it would be a good fit for you. There may be some entry-level type oil field jobs that you could apply for while in the area.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,210 times
Hi, I live in illinois and I want a better life for my son and I. I'm 24 and I don't have anything more than a hs diploma/ged and about ten years of construction, fast food and other misc job expierence. I have the will and determination to do whatever it will take to adequately plan and take action to begin my son's future on the right path. I've heard of entry level jobs that someone with little to no experience can get and I'm having a hard time finding those jobs online. Are there any links that may be helpful to me so that I may find employment and start my new career asap?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:52 AM

8,347 posts, read 6,911,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ned132435 View Post
I'm 19 and currently living in Michigan, but I (and my family) are originally from North Dakota. I'm thinking of going back in a few months to work and save up money for 6 months to a year to help get myself through college and throw some money in the bank. I've been looking online (mainly job service ND) and all the oil field jobs I'm finding are ones that require a ton of past experience or you have to be 21 and/or have a CDL. Are there any other ways to find oil jobs in/around Minot or Williston? I hear of people being hired in a day and they don't have experience, so I take it there's a lot of general labor type jobs that will provide on-the-job training?

I know there's tons of other jobs, too, but I want the oil fields because of all the available over time. I want to go out there to work and save money, not just get a full time job and only be able to live there and not save money. In other words, I don't want to move out there just to bring in $2000 a month after taxes. I'd be perfectly fine with $14/hr as long as I can get a good amount of over time every week.
Spend lots of time reading the various threads here, there are so many helpful resources. While you plan, and wait to come, these resources will help. Find the thread...talkin the bakken. Lists lots of companies. Read the Williston herald online, read the postings of others either here, homeless looking, or already working. You will find several good links listed in several threads. If you have housing available from relatives you are way ahead of the game. But, if you are from ND, you are smart enough to wait til spring. Seriously, there will be even more jobs in spring, dickinson, williston, eastern montana. Read, watch, network, and then come spring get r done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota