U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:01 AM

489 posts, read 730,704 times

Advertisements

How is the weather up that way around early March? Is it similar to January winter weather or a bit warmer? We are considering our move up that way from FL in March 20012 and needed to know if we need to be prepared for the cold January 10 degree below weather or not at that time. I do have cold weather cloths, but not for 10- degrees though. Thus the reason I ask this, so to be prepared...LOL.

Also, I hear of flooding in this area every year or near to it. Is it something to be concerned about? What is the best area in Bismarck or Mandan for an apartment for a family of three (2 adults and 1 young teenager), especially away from the flood plane?

I understand flooding, as we get it year round down here on the central east coast of FL, especially during tropical weather season.

Is the employment rate still down? Last time I checked it was less than 3%. So how are the jobs holding out up there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 10:23 AM

4,817 posts, read 9,860,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepper1 View Post
How is the weather up that way around early March? Is it similar to January winter weather or a bit warmer? We are considering our move up that way from FL in March 20012 and needed to know if we need to be prepared for the cold January 10 degree below weather or not at that time. I do have cold weather cloths, but not for 10- degrees though. Thus the reason I ask this, so to be prepared...LOL.

Also, I hear of flooding in this area every year or near to it. Is it something to be concerned about? What is the best area in Bismarck or Mandan for an apartment for a family of three (2 adults and 1 young teenager), especially away from the flood plane?

I understand flooding, as we get it year round down here on the central east coast of FL, especially during tropical weather season.

Is the employment rate still down? Last time I checked it was less than 3%. So how are the jobs holding out up there?
Hi

I am a meteorologist over at Grand Forks ND (but I am familiar enough with Bismarck to answer). Now....as for your other questions I will leave that to others as I have never lived in Bismarck and only been there twice since I moved to North Dakota in 1998.

That said....early March in Bismarck can bring a wide variety in temperatures. I am able to assess the highest and lowest temps in Bismarck from 2000 to 2011.....for March 1-15th.....

Here are the highest and lowest temps on a particular date from 2000 to 2011.

Mar 1 - 52 and -18
Mar 2 - 52 and -19
Mar 3 - 60 and -10
Mar 4 - 69 and -12
Mar 5 - 72 and -19
Mar 6 - 63 and -6
Mar 7 - 58 and -14
Mar 8 - 53 and -11
Mar 9 - 51 and -12
Mar 10 - 64 and -19
Mar 11 - 62 and -14
Mar 12 - 75 and -18
Mar 13 - 56 and -7
Mar 14 - 57 and 13
Mar 15 - 61 and 7

The 30 year normals for that period shows "normal" high temp in early March 32 to 37 and lows 13 to 18.

River flooding has only recently been a concern along the Missouri due to much higher precipitation values in the past few winters along the Missouri river basin upstream from Bismarck into Montana. There are several dams upstream from Bismarck for water control, but in the past couple years water has been too much and some flooding in low lying areas has resulted. The affected areas are pretty small in comparison to the city as a whole and only for areas very near the Missouri.

Others can chime in.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:05 PM

Thank you very much! As per the weather & area flooding for Bismarck/Mandan, this is the info I was needing to know. Thank you once more.

BTW, where did you move from & how do you feel about your move now?

Old 10-14-2011, 12:19 PM

Hi

Here is the city flood map area.... at least areas possibly threatened in 2011....areas west of the airport toward the River and then a few spots right along the River west of downtown up to the far northwest side of town. At least it shows you where there were sandbagging to protect. Anywhere on the north and east - southeast end of town and in the city center you are fine... As you look for places...ask around how they faired....or better yet call the city. River flooding in Bismarck has been quite rare since the Corps put in the Dams upstream along the Missouri River.

http://www.bismarck.org/DocumentView.aspx?DID=3767

As for me....well I am unique in that I grew up in Kentucky and totally hated the summer time as a kid with the constant warmth and humidity. I loved the winter time and anytime when we got snow. I always wanted to move north and my career allowed me to do that. Grand Forks is in the northeast part of the state and it is typically quite a bit colder for longer periods than Bismarck. Typically Bismarck can lie between the warmer parts of southwest ND and the colder east....Bismarck can often loose their snowcover (though in past few winters it has been colder than the long term mean and snow has stuck around). It can be very windy all seasons, but in winter it can lead to frequent white out conditions in the rural areas. Thus the legendary North Dakota blizzards. If moving here and not used to winter much, stay in the city where you know roads will be plowed/sanded... driving from the city to the countryside can be quite different as you can go from good vsby to poor-zero vsbys very quickly. Bismarck can be quite warm in the summer....100 or higher a couple times a year often, but humidity can be more tolerable as often they get some drier winds from the west or southwest into that part of the state. But as for weather...expect changeable....certainly from Florida standards.

I like it up here...I prefer the flat land....Bismarck is a bit too hilly for my taste and a bit too warm in the winter I currently live across the Red from Grand Forks in East Grand Forks Minnesota. That said, I have always heard good things about Bismarck....very family oriented....less college age crowd that GF or Fargo....and clean. The city has grown very much and continues to grow with many new businesses.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:28 PM

LOL!! Yeah, I am a winter person myself and we do not have winters here, though an occasional 28 degree 3 day blast from time to time. The heat down here is just miserable by far. It is just like a steam cooker with the high humidity & tropical weather. My wife likes the heat though, so she would love Bismarck summers, being it has the heat, but with much lower humidity with a breeze. Thats like heavenly compared to here...LOL!

Thank you once more for the valuable info you have shared. Much appreciated!

Old 10-14-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post

I like it up here...I prefer the flat land....Bismarck is a bit too hilly for my taste and a bit too warm in the winter I currently live across the Red from Grand Forks in East Grand Forks Minnesota. That said, I have always heard good things about Bismarck....very family oriented....less college age crowd that GF or Fargo....and clean. The city has grown very much and continues to grow with many new businesses.
LOL! I love the rolling hills & mountain terrain. FL is just too flat & wet for me. I am also a mountain biker (DH, FR & AM), so that would fit into my game plans...LOL.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
LOL! I love the rolling hills & mountain terrain. FL is just too flat & wet for me. I am also a mountain biker (DH, FR & AM), so that would fit into my game plans...LOL.
Bismarck is pretty close to the Badlands region around Medora nice biking and hiking there as well....

Dan

Old 10-20-2011, 07:13 AM

32 posts, read 75,519 times
Quote:

Hey ChiliPepper!

I've lived up and down the east coast (including FL) and in TX before moving up to Bismarck last year from El Paso. As you can see from the post above, March is still chilly; our final blizzard last year was April 30th. Coming from down south, your blood will still be "thin" for a while. I enjoy winter but I still haven't fully "thickened" up my blood yet!

Flooding, or getting ready for it, was a pain in the hindquarters but we lucked out overall, especially compared to Minot and in paticular what Fargo typically goes through.

There are several apartments here in town and in Mandan which are nice; the nicest one is in Mandan in the flood zone but it stayed 100% dry. If you do go there, just make sure you're on the second or third floor incase we flood again next year!

Depending on the type of work you are looking for, you should have a job in a couple of days to two weeks. Lots of work up here.

DM me if you have any particular questions!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnpatriot View Post
Hey ChiliPepper!

I've lived up and down the east coast (including FL) and in TX before moving up to Bismarck last year from El Paso. As you can see from the post above, March is still chilly; our final blizzard last year was April 30th. Coming from down south, your blood will still be "thin" for a while. I enjoy winter but I still haven't fully "thickened" up my blood yet!

Flooding, or getting ready for it, was a pain in the hindquarters but we lucked out overall, especially compared to Minot and in paticular what Fargo typically goes through.

There are several apartments here in town and in Mandan which are nice; the nicest one is in Mandan in the flood zone but it stayed 100% dry. If you do go there, just make sure you're on the second or third floor incase we flood again next year!

Depending on the type of work you are looking for, you should have a job in a couple of days to two weeks. Lots of work up here.

DM me if you have any particular questions!
Hello & good morning mtnpatriot,

Thank you so very much for your reply mtnpatriot. I was getting to wonder if anyone in this forum board lived in this area. My wife is the one with the real thin blood, but she wants to move more than me...LOL. We are looking forward to this move, but are concerned with the much colder weather. Though I love colder weather and snow, it is the negative 0 temps I am concerned about. Where is a good place up there to get warm clothing for that area?

Compared to all the areas you have lived, how is your experience up there in the Mandan/Bismarck area? Do you like it better? What would you say is the biggest expense up there?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:23 AM

32 posts, read 75,519 times
My wife is VERY cold blooded (she was cold in El Paso), but she likes it here. The locals will tell you most of them just tolerate the winter and that hardly anyone truly enjoys it. The rest of the year weather-wise is beautiful here. The negative temps can be tough, but its when the wind starts kicking it gets brutal. If you have to be outside for extended periods, God bless you. If you are like most, you'll run from the car to house/work/store then back to car, etc... Don't be surprised to find 30-40 cars running in the parking lots with the keys in the ignition in the dead of winter...while the owners & all the occupants are shopping in the stores.

My advice is to try and find an outdoor activity you enjoy (snowmobile, cross-country skiing, ice fishing <not too much fishing but lots of beer and TV in some of the ice houses> to pass the winter time. Or join the YMCA and you can participate in some of the team activities, swimming leagues, etc... to stay active. Plus there are always the bowling leagues, indoor pistol leagues, indoor archery leagues, etc... If you are into hunting, you can try coyote calling or some trapping/snaring; lots of that to do up here. Just find an activity to keep occupied with.

My wife & I are very happy. We like the beauty of western MT more than the rolling hills of ND, but the people here are what make this such a great place to be. Super friendly, welcoming, and outgoing with just a couple knuckle-heads mixed in. Really a great place to be. This is better than any of the other spots I've resided before and we'll prob stay here 5-10 years before moving on to another spot.

The cost of living is some what more expensive, especially than El Paso, but that is to be somewhat expected. Although nothing is out-of-mind expensive; except for $2 avacados!

As for a store to get some winter clothing, try Runnings once you get up here. 701 S. Washington, Bismarck, ND 58504 701-223-9582. Its a farm & fleet type store with just about everything you could need. Before you come up start looking for on-line deals on wool socks, UnderArmor Cold Gear, wool everything, etc... I'm still trying to get my wife to understand fashion/style is second to warmth!

It is a great place to be and you and the family will probably enjoy it very much once you get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota