Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 15,979 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to be moving to north dakota in the next year. We will be there for at least 5 yrs to start a new branch of the families electric company here in montana. I would like to know (since we won't want to live in a man camp) which towns are "safer" or nicer around minot and williston? Any information would be helpful. I need to start looking for real estate and would like to at least look in the right places. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 12:10 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
This is just my 2 cents worth, so take it for what it's worth. I would look for land in North Eastern Montana. The Oil Patch is going to be moving West. I have no clue how fast it's going to be moving, but looking at a 5 year speculation, I would think that you would be in the thick of things. If you buy land in Stanley, Tioga area, the oil patch is going to walk away from you. The wells will be there, but the boom is going to be on the move.

There is nothing available around Williston without paying a real premium. I would imagine you want to build a shop and yard. Right now, even to rent space is a premium in Williston all the way to Dickinson and Minot.

I, personally, would look at North Eastern Montana. You are already licensed there so could maintain that aspect. Not sure what you would need to do to license in ND though.

I talked to my neighbor who runs a vac truck out of Williston. Electrical companies are swamped for work. People with land that want to set up a couple RV spots with power are way down on the Totem Pole. He knows a guy that wants to build an RV park and is looking at a wait time til early May.

The other problem you would have being right in the thick of it is wages and being able to house your workers. Your going to compete with wages of $20+ per hour and lots of overtime, to what you pay your folks. I know electricians make good coin but can you offer the overtime that oilpatch work offers?

Setting up in North East Mont, you would require drive time to work, right now. But as time goes on, the drive time will decrease as the boom moves West.

Like I said, just my 2 cents worth. In my past life, before I retired, I was a Process and Design Engineer. I made my living at making business' more efficient. Not to lay people off, but to maintain work force but double or triple output. When I retired, my plant was producing $140 mil a year and I only had 109 workers.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashab686 View Post
My husband and I are going to be moving to north dakota in the next year. We will be there for at least 5 yrs to start a new branch of the families electric company here in montana. I would like to know (since we won't want to live in a man camp) which towns are "safer" or nicer around minot and williston? Any information would be helpful. I need to start looking for real estate and would like to at least look in the right places. Thanks!
Your best bet is too just start reading and interacting on the various N.D. threads, there is a ton of them, many about the total absence of housing presently, and in the near future. Then you'll know what you need to know first hand. If you can afford to build, that would be a for sure thing, if you can find a builder there.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:23 PM

Elkhunter,
Thank you so much for your information. I read it to my husband and we are so thankful to you. That was a huge insight for us. Thank you!!!!

Tasha

Old 02-02-2012, 09:54 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times
If you find land and you build a shop, maybe you could put in a bathroom, kitchenette, & a bunkroom or couple bedrooms & a livingroom area (or room for a table, chairs, couch & TV in the kitchen area)? The bathroom & kitchenette can always be used, but eventually the wall to the living area could be removed and the bedroom(s) could be turned into offices. Oh, and a clothes washer & dryer.

I'm just thinking how some of the farmers around here have in their machine shops a kitchenette & bathroom w/shower (shower for before they go home if they get too dirty or greasy or if there's an accident w/chemicals, etc) and a couple bedrooms for the seasonal hired help. If the shop is fairly tall, I've seen the bedrooms 'upstairs' above the kitchen/bath/laundry/living area to save floor space in the shop (sometimes even another 1/2 bath upstairs), or bedrooms above a ground level storage area, locked tool cage or office area.

Or maybe you could put in a couple of your own camper hookups, but I'd think having the built in 'apartment' would be the better way to go....especially in winter.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:06 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashab686 View Post
You might want to listen to the radio broadcast in the thread by DanEgf posted couple days ago....The business owners are talking about their properties selling for 5 times what they had bought them for. You also may want to look at realtors for listings, or builders for building. Also, the housing situation currently is pretty dire, although I did see a thread recently that someone had posted there were still houses for sale in Minot. Just a heads up, make sure if the property is in the flooded area, that they aren't waiting for a buyout, and that all post flood repairs were done correctly...Drying out the studs, not rebuilding basement rooms until dry...no paneling over flooded sheetrock, etc. There are a few threads, some w/ video's...I put up one "this is why not minot" good luck on your search.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 AM

477 posts, read 1,506,320 times
Well there still is land for sale around Williams and McKenzie counties, however, you will be paying a premium price. The shopper Inc. has some ads for land, some have been in there for quite some time because of what they are asking. I guess if you can handle it you will be able to find some land yet.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:24 PM

Thank you all for the info, adding amenities to the shop is a great idea, thank you! I never thought I would get so much help and great ideas!! Thanks!!!

Old 02-29-2012, 01:34 PM

5 posts, read 18,619 times
In my opinion, I wouldn't go anywhere near the oil fields if you know what is good for you. From the things I've heard, they are getting very dangerous.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:37 PM

98 posts, read 341,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david58121 View Post
In my opinion, I wouldn't go anywhere near the oil fields if you know what is good for you. From the things I've heard, they are getting very dangerous.
David can you share what you've heard thats where im headed ... roughneck work is always dangerous from what my roughneck buddys tell me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota