U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:34 PM

287 posts, read 620,996 times

Advertisements

FOAD, let's be a little more positive would you? Share your thoughts and give some positive advice. We use this forum with the best interest of getting informed. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 09:58 PM

325 posts, read 783,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOAD View Post
I told him exactly what would happen, except I left the part out about all the other workers laughing their butts off while it happened to him.
No worries FOAD. Besides me not actually being interested in the full mountaineering suit, I think you also missed this part of my post:

My guess is once you are hired the companies would give great advice on how to dress since they obviously have a stake in you keeping warm while working.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:03 PM

249 posts, read 578,466 times
I have been told that the big companies will give you some money for initial clothing... heard $500... don't know if it's true... Can anyone confirm this?

Old 11-06-2011, 10:18 PM

231 posts, read 772,195 times
I can't confirm it, sorry. But, I'd assume that you would have to use that allowance to choose from their company catalog which all had their logos on it. I had a deal like that once when I worked at Ferrellgas briefly. Halliburton is obviously going to want you to wear clothes that say Halliburton, so that's how you would go about getting it.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:13 PM

25 posts, read 36,507 times
Should i buy one of those winter carhartt suits before i come or wait to see if the companies will supply them. I also am going to buy the dunlop boots. Can anyone recommend anymore work gloves that will keep my hands warm!!

Old 11-07-2011, 03:51 PM

581 posts, read 2,048,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubC View Post
Should i buy one of those winter carhartt suits before i come or wait to see if the companies will supply them. I also am going to buy the dunlop boots. Can anyone recommend anymore work gloves that will keep my hands warm!!

Some also supply boots. Yet another question that is tough to answer...

Big companies supply company gear. Their colors their patches. Some smaller guys will reimburse for anything you buy that is their PPE policy. Others make you buy it all on your own. I'd say most supply some if not all gear. Where I work supplies everything but boots. Winter/summer clothing and all the necessary ppe.

I doubt many give $500 to buy gear. That would barely buy the winter bibs and jackets we give out. Halliburton spends THOUSANDS on new hires. 10's of thousands per employee. (with all the training of course, not on clothing).

Old 11-07-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubC View Post

Id buy some warm carhartt NON FR gear just to have. If they offer FR's perfect. If not, well now you have some NON FR gear to fall back on. To fork out $350 for a FR Carhartt jacket is not needed.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:53 PM

Also, not the Carhartt full coveralls. Get bibs and a jacket. Many times it warms up where you can wear insulated bibs and a heavy sweatshirt. With full coveralls you don't have that option. You'll look like a newbie in the coveralls for winter.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:09 PM

25 posts, read 36,507 times
Thax guys, ill just buy boots then, and wait to see what happens with the job! Purofort Thermo+ safety | Dunlop Boots Anyone wear these!!

Old 11-07-2011, 04:20 PM

287 posts, read 620,996 times
I don't wear em but I'm gonna buy em. They seem to be very durable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota