Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:56 AM

941 posts, read 1,914,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
Truck driver can make that money but it's not the norm. Rig hands get overtime. Most truck driver DONT. If you are young, able, and willing I'd go to the RIGS. Also trucking compnaies don't usually have the rotational schedules.
Then why are most companies asking for cdl? If one applies for the hard, physical labor and the company is asking for cdl, is the person doing both labor and driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 10:01 AM

325 posts, read 863,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
Truck driver can make that money but it's not the norm. Rig hands get overtime. Most truck driver DONT. If you are young, able, and willing I'd go to the RIGS. Also trucking compnaies don't usually have the rotational schedules.
Well that settles that. Thanks Kychlo

Old 11-07-2011, 10:25 AM

287 posts, read 688,628 times
Well my idea was to get my CDL but work as a floorhand and if they need me to move a truck to a short distance location then I wanna be able to do it. I'm not moving to ND to work only 12 hrs a day lol but we'll see how it goes

Old 11-07-2011, 10:27 AM

249 posts, read 645,193 times
"Frac hand"... then I'm definitely going...

As stated to me from 3 different recruiters/hiring mgrs. at the companies... the companies want you to have a CDL to drive their big company trucks (NOT semis) back and forth to the jobsite for your work... It's NOT hauling... I've seen others ask for a Class B but I would suppose a Class A allows you to drive ?either? So, I would suppose rather than looking for Class B and Class A they just want the Class A that covers it all....

Can someone confirm if Class A allows you to drive Class B
??

Old 11-07-2011, 10:42 AM

581 posts, read 2,214,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer2122 View Post
"Frac hand"... then I'm definitely going...

As stated to me from 3 different recruiters/hiring mgrs. at the companies... the companies want you to have a CDL to drive their big company trucks (NOT semis) back and forth to the jobsite for your work... It's NOT hauling... I've seen others ask for a Class B but I would suppose a Class A allows you to drive ?either? So, I would suppose rather than looking for Class B and Class A they just want the Class A that covers it all....

Can someone confirm if Class A allows you to drive Class B??

Class A allows you drive Class B. Yes. Highly recommend getting your CLASS A or CLASS A PERMIT before coming this way. Maybe I've said that in past posts, if not. DO IT. CDL's are required for pickups as well if pulling a certain weight trailer. Just get it. You will be more valuable (as you stated above).

Old 11-07-2011, 11:20 AM

249 posts, read 645,193 times
Many Thanks kychlo - another thing less to wonder about

Old 11-07-2011, 11:34 AM

Yea I don't wanna be a full time truck driver. Like Kychlo said. To be more valuable was my idea. I'm even thinking about getting a CPR class. That might help me I little more. Best of the luck to you all

Old 11-07-2011, 12:05 PM

88 posts, read 220,132 times
Things that I would suggest to make yourself more presentable to the oil and gas industry;
1. CDL A With (or ability to get) Hazmat, Tanker, doubles-triples, and air brake endorsements.
A. Tanker, Doubles-Triples and Air Brake Inspection are all tests taken online. The Hazmat Endorsement is federally mandated process that happened after 9/11. This is includes a thorough background check and fingerprinting.
2. First Aid Training - CPR Class is good
3. WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System) Canada Though
4. H2S Alive - Hydrogen Sulfide Exposure (I would wait to get this as the company may provide this to you when hired) (This is a one day class)

If you former military, the larger companies such as Halliburton, Schlumberger, etc will want you almost immediately! They know that they will not get a bunch of baggage with former military, and alot of the first aid type training has already been provided. So, retraining will not be a problem in their eyes. They also know that the instructions given to former military personnel will be absorbed asap! Folks like Rigzone and Oil and Gas Careers should have a page describing each of these, and more, certifications that you can obtain. Want to earn huge money and find yourself looking for something to do during down time, get your certifications!

I may joke around here and there on this board and I've heard folks say on this board that you need to come up there with a plan. Now I understand that they are mostly talking about a housing plan but, if your going to North Dakota to start a new career, then have a goal. Set a timeframe for each of your goals. Yeah, I'm coming up to North Dakota because of the economy, and the fact I can't stand not working and providing for my family, but I'm also coming with a plan! The plan is to retire in 15 years with a truck load of money! Out of work and 25? How about retiring at the age of 40? Out of work and 40? How about retiring at the age of 65, and not have to worry about a pension plan.

Get your certifications! Learn about this industry, you would be amazed at the information you can find! You want a job and be a Roustabout for the next 20 years, great! But, what if you made it a career and became a Driller or a Tool Pusher? Do your research, and then make a new plan!

**Dropped my microphone and walked off the stage.... -Eddie Murphy

Old 11-07-2011, 12:13 PM

All those are excellent tips man . I'm taking notes. And I'm gonna get those endorsments once I get my cdl permit.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:12 PM

325 posts, read 863,083 times
Default Housing

Does Baker Hughes offer housing? Are these jobs for Texas, North Dakota, or just anywhere they are working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota