Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:42 AM

5 posts, read 20,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukii22 View Post
I accepted a job offer in dickinson, nd. I have received my new hire packet, and have mailed it back. I have been waiting to hear back from Baker for almost 3 weeks and have not gotten a email or a phone call. Does anybody have any info on what's going on?
I'm in the same boat as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
When my husband was processing for Baker Hughes over the summer I saw that they weren't exactly what I'd call quick with their applications. Some of it can't be helped, you have to wait to hear back on things like background checks and MVR's. My husband's situation is also different since he was hired on locally and had a local supervisor who was pushing things through. That being said, it still took them about 3 weeks to get his stuff done which was a bit long. Even local applicants are processed through their corporate location, though. My husband had a specific woman he was working with and we contacted her about once a week just to check on things. We'd e-mail her so that way she could respond in her own time, if you get an e-mail contact I'd suggest using that and maybe just contacting them around once a week to make sure they remember you.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:33 AM

589 posts, read 299,875 times
Okay guys, here's an update and timeframe, especially for those waiting. Attended job fair posted in the title of this thread. Was hired on the spot. I then received a FedEx packet on Monday, as they said they would send me, after the recruiting session (5 days, including wknd). I completed and mailed it back next day. Emailed Houston office for update on status report on start date on day before Thanksgiving hoping to hear something but no reponse after a week. So, I called the 877 number for status update on the 30th and they said they had a lot of processing and should hear something by Friday of that week. Friday came and gone and on Monday the 5th, I receive an email stating they needed addl form for DOT so got that filled out and emailed it back. Then get a call on the same day to schedule a start date and was told will receive a email for confirmed start date. Next day, the 6th received confirmed start date and was told will receive call for logistics. Today receive call from logistics and will start on Monday. So from recruiting session to start date was/is about four and half weeks. Hope that helps.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 11,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
Okay guys, here's an update and timeframe, especially for those waiting. Attended job fair posted in the title of this thread. Was hired on the spot. I then received a FedEx packet on Monday, as they said they would send me, after the recruiting session (5 days, including wknd). I completed and mailed it back next day. Emailed Houston office for update on status report on start date on day before Thanksgiving hoping to hear something but no reponse after a week. So, I called the 877 number for status update on the 30th and they said they had a lot of processing and should hear something by Friday of that week. Friday came and gone and on Monday the 5th, I receive an email stating they needed addl form for DOT so got that filled out and emailed it back. Then get a call on the same day to schedule a start date and was told will receive a email for confirmed start date. Next day, the 6th received confirmed start date and was told will receive call for logistics. Today receive call from logistics and will start on Monday. So from recruiting session to start date was/is about four and half weeks. Hope that helps.
Scot892, I sent you a private message.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Default very helpful post

Do you have oil exp. or CDL? did you have take a physical? what position did you get hired for? where are you reporting? ND or TX?
Thanks and be safe and good luck

Old 12-09-2011, 06:41 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,600,762 times
Attended this job fair, and going to be starting in Dickinson, ND next month (Equipment Operator). Already had a Class A CDL and trucking experience, which really helps when applying for these oil field positions. The key to landing most of these jobs is to be patient, however persistant.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 PM

112 posts, read 316,444 times
Smile Question about resumes at a job fair

This seems to be the most popular thread about the job fairs so hopefully someone can answer my questions. I know many of you may be old hands at the job fair thing but I have to admit, I have never attended one. Up until now I always interviewed directly with the company in person. So forgive my ignorance...

If your resume is 2 pages, how do you present it to recruiters so they keep it together and also do you need to include a cover letter with your resume?

I have tried to figure out how to shorten it to one page but it just does not work, so hopefully someone has some advice. Really appreciate everyone on here, almost feels like family!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Old 12-15-2011, 11:45 AM

Default Eerily quiet on these boards

has everybody gone to hibernate for the winter. or is everybody working hard in the oil fields? this was the most active thread up to this point just wondering if everybody has given up, or has found work, or is it getting too cold to post here?
Good luck to all and happy holidays

Old 12-15-2011, 02:37 PM

101 posts, read 219,060 times
I have a three page resume and a cover letter.

The cover letter captivated them...

the resume intro list Skills and abilites the I tombstone my work experiace.

I am not applying for an entry level job...I have to show management experiance in a varity of areas.

One page resume is if you are just out of college and have worked a couple jobs...

I have left off jobs that don't support my skills and abiliites but I do talk about them too explain some gaps.

NO One I have seen face to face has been put off by a longer resume...infact it open discussion into areas of experiance and I can sell myself to them

I was told a while ago....you want to be in magament...your resume will be long and the more you want to be paid...the longer it will be. been true so far.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:14 PM

265 posts, read 686,536 times
Update!!

Well after 3 weeks still nothing. Well the third week was around Thanksgiving so I figured things would have slowed up in the processing at HR so I waited until the start of the fourth week to call HR. Well they told me I should receive a confirmation and start date soon...Guess what received a phone call the next day telling me my start date and welcome aboard and asked me to send in my paperwork? I told the HR rep that was done three weeks ago at least and they said well maybe it's in the mailroom due to the holidays of which was what I expected..so I was informed that my packet would be looked for(so now I am nervous and would hate to start all over) I was sent a email the next day saying welcome aboard and my information and start date confirmed for Jan 23!!!So cool. Now have to get (mad)? money for 3 wks per the email and Business casual clothing(orientation)(New Hire Training 3 wks?) and warm cold weather clothing (long johns,etc) and boots(steel toe) or Composite toe? minimum 600 g insulated? have to look that up. Voided check and two forms of ID for the Direct Deposit(not Voluntary? have to ask about that)I know its cheaper for the payroll in the end. bring SS and BC documents. If CDL training involved length of stay will be 8 weeks long straight from start dates. Each person will have a bedroom? Hotel Room? Well guys, this most likely is the reason they are running behind(holidays) besides the size of hirings that they are doing. I think due to the over consuming detail that goes into hiring people, that they are doing a great job in hiring.Hope this helps you all in the process. This applies to all the big companies and the small one's not so much. peace. jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota