Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:06 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,075 times

Advertisements

Ok, I want to bring up a few things. First of all, if you come up here and you're only willing to accept $20/hr or it's not worth your time... don't come up. You and every other Joe out there wants $20/hr so you're all going to apply for the same jobs.

Second, there are lots of entry level positions still available. Do they pay $20/hr? No, but here's the thing with the oilfield... sometimes you have to start off at the very bottom. This means making less, but over the long run if you want to make this a career then that means you sometimes have to do things you don't want to do. Will you be making $15-$17/hr instead of $20? Sure. My husband started off making $65-70k a year, but he kept his head down and learned as much as he could so that now he's bringing well over $100k a year.

Third, a lot of entry level positions are hired through staffing agencies. SOS Staffing, Executive Services, USC Staffing and more are ALL still hiring entry level workers. Worst comes to worst you get a position with one of the staffing agencies not paying as much as you'd like until you get a position somewhere else.

Fourth, no one said you'd walk in and get a job handed to you. There are literally HUNDREDS of companies up here. You can't possibly apply to every single one that's hiring within a couple days or even a week. It takes a lot of time.

Fifth, watch your attitude. I'm not saying anyone on here has a bad attitude, but if you're difficult or have an attitude you won't find a job. And even if you did, the guys working the fields up here would chase you away FAST. I know, I've seen it happen over and over. A crappy attitude will get you nothing but grief and a hard time up here. Everyone is tired, everyone is working more than they want, everyone is experiencing these things. You either deal with it, or you leave.

Now for those who are struggling, I just searched Baker Hughes website (Baker Hughes Taleo -- External), they're looking for wireline operators. They want experience, but they'll hire you without it. It's not a position that requires experience.

NOV has a position that requires that you have some mechanical and electronical aptitude but experience is NOT required:

National Oilwell Varco

CalFrac is still showing openings for Frac operators. No experience required.

Career Opportunities with Calfrac (http://calfrac.com/Docs/careers/index.php - broken link)

Weatherford has positions available.

http://www.weatherford.com/AboutWeat...OpenPositions/

It helps if you have your CDL permit, a lot of companies are willing to work with you or train you if you have that.

You may not be able to start immediately. Most hire in groups and do training classes once a month or so. If you get on and don't start for awhile, you can get on with a temp agency and work before you start.

There are a TON of options up here if you know where to look. Don't write off staffing agencies either because you think it's a "temp" place, all of them are hiring full time permanent employees. Because office space is sparse up here a LOOOOOOT of companies use these agencies to do their hiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 05:32 PM

89 posts, read 167,113 times
I'm glad this information is coming up now. I'm about to leave the weekend of the 18th. I was already planning on taking a few jobs outside the oil field, until I was able to get in.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:41 PM

443 posts, read 806,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Ok, I want to bring up a few things. First of all, if you come up here and you're only willing to accept $20/hr or it's not worth your time... don't come up. You and every other Joe out there wants $20/hr so you're all going to apply for the same jobs.

Second, there are lots of entry level positions still available. Do they pay $20/hr? No, but here's the thing with the oilfield... sometimes you have to start off at the very bottom. This means making less, but over the long run if you want to make this a career then that means you sometimes have to do things you don't want to do. Will you be making $15-$17/hr instead of $20? Sure. My husband started off making $65-70k a year, but he kept his head down and learned as much as he could so that now he's bringing well over $100k a year.

Third, a lot of entry level positions are hired through staffing agencies. SOS Staffing, Executive Services, USC Staffing and more are ALL still hiring entry level workers. Worst comes to worst you get a position with one of the staffing agencies not paying as much as you'd like until you get a position somewhere else.

Fourth, no one said you'd walk in and get a job handed to you. There are literally HUNDREDS of companies up here. You can't possibly apply to every single one that's hiring within a couple days or even a week. It takes a lot of time.

Fifth, watch your attitude. I'm not saying anyone on here has a bad attitude, but if you're difficult or have an attitude you won't find a job. And even if you did, the guys working the fields up here would chase you away FAST. I know, I've seen it happen over and over. A crappy attitude will get you nothing but grief and a hard time up here. Everyone is tired, everyone is working more than they want, everyone is experiencing these things. You either deal with it, or you leave.

Now for those who are struggling, I just searched Baker Hughes website (Baker Hughes Taleo -- External), they're looking for wireline operators. They want experience, but they'll hire you without it. It's not a position that requires experience.

NOV has a position that requires that you have some mechanical and electronical aptitude but experience is NOT required:

National Oilwell Varco

CalFrac is still showing openings for Frac operators. No experience required.

Career Opportunities with Calfrac (http://calfrac.com/Docs/careers/index.php - broken link)

Weatherford has positions available.

http://www.weatherford.com/AboutWeat...OpenPositions/

It helps if you have your CDL permit, a lot of companies are willing to work with you or train you if you have that.

You may not be able to start immediately. Most hire in groups and do training classes once a month or so. If you get on and don't start for awhile, you can get on with a temp agency and work before you start.

There are a TON of options up here if you know where to look. Don't write off staffing agencies either because you think it's a "temp" place, all of them are hiring full time permanent employees. Because office space is sparse up here a LOOOOOOT of companies use these agencies to do their hiring.
This post should stay on top of the list. A+

Old 11-08-2011, 05:58 PM

249 posts, read 645,166 times
Lisan - GREAT post!!! It should stay at the top....

Old 11-08-2011, 06:05 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,473 times
I fear many are counting on $20+ starting wage and might have tough time making it with higher cost of living. Best to go with a decent stash of cash to get by for a while.

Jasper

Old 11-08-2011, 06:10 PM

325 posts, read 863,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I fear many are counting on $20+ starting wage and might have tough time making it with higher cost of living. Best to go with a decent stash of cash to get by for a while.

Jasper
If someone can't mitigate the high cost of living through their housing situation (i.e. camp, lease, car, whathaveyou) and lots of overtime (which is the only way, at least in my mind, that even $20/hr works), then I would guess the oil patch is not the place to be, unless you simply have no other options.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:11 PM

49 posts, read 80,919 times
very helpful! thanks!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:39 PM

287 posts, read 688,611 times
Let's keep this on the top , I'll help you and pkease keep posting tips for us job hunters thanks!!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:44 PM

443 posts, read 806,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internationalman View Post
If someone can't mitigate the high cost of living through their housing situation (i.e. camp, lease, car, whathaveyou) and lots of overtime (which is the only way, at least in my mind, that even $20/hr works), then I would guess the oil patch is not the place to be, unless you simply have no other options.
Especially in a tipi

Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 PM

941 posts, read 1,913,946 times
Lisa cause of your advice back in August I made my husband get that CDL permit, it wasn't overnight actuallyhe had studied it years ago,lol but he has it now, yayyyy.....As for the temp agencies. I think I asked you on another thread but don't remember which one so not sure if you saw it. My ? was at SOS do they make everyone do those standard English, Math computer skills tests? Also is the hired person working for SOS for a certain period of time how does that work? Considered temp or temp to hire? For say the bigger companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota