Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:14 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave12341234 View Post
Straight one year probe. Not in jail. Thats the thing, I wouldnt want to transfer the jurisdition until I got the job, and exactly what you said, there are thousands of other people with better records. I guess its something to discuss with the employer. Although most employers wont even look at the app if it has something like that on it. Gosh, it just sucks, but im sure theres people in worse situations than me.
Don't give up on yourself. Check w/ the attorney you had, then follow his advise. And check the listing for jobs the other poster left. You could always ask an employment agency, I have heard of one called SOS in Dickinson? get the number, and just ask. But, check w/ your attorney regarding transfer possibilities. Wait it out if you have to, but never give up on yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 10:56 AM

40 posts, read 83,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Did you get a deffered imposition of sentence? That means, if you do nothing wrong while on probation, that essentially the misdemeanor goes off your record. At least here in N.D. that is what happens. No I am not a lawyer
yes jan My record will be expunged come april no matter what.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:25 PM

Nice, If it were me, I would wait til it is expunged, meanwhile save money, plan your trip, keep updated on forum. N.D. Then you can walk in with a clean record, and possibly get right to work. I would check w/ the other threads, and see what folks on the rigs are saying about jobs for spring. Only thing about spring, I hear the mud is almost worse to deal w/ then the snow for drivers, moving rigs etc. Anyway, good job staying on top of things, you'll get r done.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,683 times
What about battery misdemeanor? I'm planning on coming up in April. I'm hoping the charge gets dropped or a non-conviction ruling. Also, do the oil companies ask if you've been convicted of a crime in the past 7 years or have you been charged with a crime in the past seven years?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 PM

89 posts, read 167,158 times
The apps I've filled out didnt ask a specific time.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:28 PM

692 posts, read 1,707,074 times
Most big oil and gas companies do an extensive background search. Mine did a "20 year" background check through the DCI in Wyoming. I work for one of the biggies out of Houston in the CBM fields outside Gillette.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,683 times
What about the smaller companies, do they do an extensive background check? Say you get on with a small company and gain a year or two of experience in the oilfield and get a reputation as hard working person of good character. Would the larger companies overlook a felony conviction 14 years past?

I am 32 now, but did get into a little trouble in my younger years, around 18-20. Since then, I have worked eight years as an Engineering Technician performing testing and inspection on asphalt, concrete, and soils until the recession hit in 2009. I've spent the last two years attending college and will have an AA degree in early April.

I am planning to go to North Dakota as soon as my classes end in search of work. I have 4 kids and the idea is to move them along with their mother to Grand Forks to attend law school at UND while I work on the other side of the state. However, the only way for this to work is for me to get a job in the oilfield with the 2 weeks on 1 week off. I can take a job outside the oilfield temporarily while I search, just can't do it long term.

I would prefer to stay in Florida, but there just simply isn't enough work for me to support my family. Jacksonville isn't a great place to raise 4 kids on a low income. I have no problem working the hours, I've done that for many years.

I am planning on taking the floorhand course at WSC. I have read that companies will be lined up to hire you if you take this course. Is this true? This is my current situation, any advice or information from any one would be helpful.

Thank You

Old 12-05-2011, 07:22 PM

91 posts, read 294,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida904 View Post
What about the smaller companies, do they do an extensive background check? Say you get on with a small company and gain a year or two of experience in the oilfield and get a reputation as hard working person of good character. Would the larger companies overlook a felony conviction 14 years past?

I am 32 now, but did get into a little trouble in my younger years, around 18-20. Since then, I have worked eight years as an Engineering Technician performing testing and inspection on asphalt, concrete, and soils until the recession hit in 2009. I've spent the last two years attending college and will have an AA degree in early April.

I am planning to go to North Dakota as soon as my classes end in search of work. I have 4 kids and the idea is to move them along with their mother to Grand Forks to attend law school at UND while I work on the other side of the state. However, the only way for this to work is for me to get a job in the oilfield with the 2 weeks on 1 week off. I can take a job outside the oilfield temporarily while I search, just can't do it long term.

I would prefer to stay in Florida, but there just simply isn't enough work for me to support my family. Jacksonville isn't a great place to raise 4 kids on a low income. I have no problem working the hours, I've done that for many years.

I am planning on taking the floorhand course at WSC. I have read that companies will be lined up to hire you if you take this course. Is this true? This is my current situation, any advice or information from any one would be helpful.

Thank You
I don't know about the charges, but I wouldnt spend a ton of money on a course. What will it cost you? If youve got money to throw around, go for it, but a lot of companies dont give a crap about that.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:

Thank You
Your wife is attending Law School, while you work? I would suggest that you might contact a few companies, and just ask what their policy's are re: old felony. It may depend on what type felony. I have heard ppl say that you have a harder time in N.D. if you have a drug, or violent felony. It also sounds like you have some relevant experience for either oil, or construction. Lots of big developments in construction starting this spring. Good luck hope you find something.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:59 AM

325 posts, read 863,229 times
Quote:

Thank You
According to a podcast that was posted on this forum: yes. Apparently a lot of the companies send their people there for training and have had input into the hands on nature of the course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota