U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:27 PM

8,394 posts, read 7,482,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Any insight on working evenings and weekends? Before Detroit hit the skids there were several professional offices (dentists, chiropractors, accountants, and even barbers) that catered to people that worked 2nd and 3rd shifts. The office would be open 16 hours a day. One person and staff worked 6 AM to 2 PM, another and staff worked from 2 PM to 10 PM, and then they rotated working every other Saturday during the day for 4 to 6 hours.

I have no idea what the working environment is like in the oil boom towns. I have read posts on this forum about people working 100+ hours per week. Is this like NYC and Vegas--the towns that never sleep? However, instead of partying people are working. Or is that number of hours the rare exception and most people work the standard 40-50 hours per week, go in sometime between 6 AM and 8 AM and most are done sometime between 4 PM and 7 PM?
Dr. I wonder about the possibility of a mobile dentist office, for the cleaning and simple dentistry, w/ an office available at another location for other more invasive or difficult procedures. Maybe renting an office locally, to work some evening hrs, etc. And a mobile unit for a two or three day weekly excursion into the areas of man camps, etc. You could feasibly cover several of the areas of influx, i.e. Williston area one-two days, Stanley, Ross one day. Etc. I think the Dentist that can be diverse and flexible would be very well utilized w/in a short time in an area such as northwestern N.D. The same could possibly be said for Dickinson area, however, since the populations are already here in Williston, the old saying.......strike while the iron is hot. Also, is there a way to copywrite this technique of travel dentistry?? I know of traveling nurses, cna's but they work from agency's. Or how about working out of the Mercy hospital?? I know for yrs my eye care office was located inside the hospital building. Just some ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 10:16 PM

649 posts, read 884,436 times
Contact Annabelle Homes, a developer in Minneapolis. They are developing not just homes, but also commercial space, in towns like Stanley, Tioga, Columbus, Kenmare (and a number are planned for other smaller towns). A developer might not only find you commercial space, but give you dibs on a home or apartment.

New Homes - Annabelle Homes

Granite Peak out of Casper, WY is developing a huge section of Williston. They might be another opportunity.

Granite Peak Development Casper Wyoming

Consider contacting directly city hall or the Chamber of Commerce in places like Williston, Dickinson, Minot, as well as smaller towns like Tioga, Stanley, Watford City, Killdeer, Belfield, Crosby, Berthold, Bottineau.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:56 AM

174 posts, read 206,678 times
If you are going to pay for new commercial space then your best bet is to have a living area built right in. That way you have a place to stay while you build your business. I know of a few business owners that did that as a way to offfset the costs of housing.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:31 AM

15 posts, read 22,445 times
JanND--excellent idea of having a mobile clinic. Yes, the idea has been around for a few decades so not really able to patent the idea. The mobile office is typically used by those that are going through an office remodel or office was damaged (flood, fire, roof blown off in tornado, roof damage from hail, etc).

I have never been to a man camp. I assume they are private property owned by the oil company. Do they let food trucks and vendors just set-up in their parking lot?

How many employees are housed in man camps?

I was under the impression that employees had zero free time because of the long and demanding shifts. I thought all they did was eat, sleep, and work during their 2 weeks on. I just assumed they made doctor/dentist appointments during their off week. Is this in error? Do they have down time at the end of their shifts?

Naelbis--thank you for the suggestion. It is good to know that the city does not prevent those types of working and sleeping arrangements. There was a Twin Cities metro gentleman who got divorced and moved into his locksmith store. The city found out and wrote him a fine for using a building zoned commercial as a residential dwelling.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:19 PM

925 posts, read 2,511,917 times
DoctorM, I too would agree with Fourwinds. Granite Peak is developing massive amounts of land and has several developments in progress (both residential and commercial). One area that is being promoted for medical type office park, is the Dakota Crossings. It is a huge parcel of land to the north of Mercy Medical Center. There is currently a Hampton Inn hotel and conf center going up, and along with this will be a full service family type restaraunt (according to their news release) also, First International Bank, a retirement home complex (to consist of assisted living and independent living type apartments) they also are promoting retail shops and office that are medical related in nature. I think a Dentist's office would be a perfect fit in this area.

Granite Peak Development Casper Wyoming

As far as shift work in the oil industry...it has many aspects to the shifts and rotations. 14 days on 14 days off, 12 hours on 12 hours off, etc... etc... yes, Willsiton is a 24hr town, but not like what you would think Vegas or NY...obviously since Williston is only around 20,000 people (and another 10,000 in mancamps scattered outside the city) and growing. Locals have a tough time getting in for medical appointments...everything in this town is "take a number". So any kind of service for this community would be a god send. I think the 2 shift dental would be an awesome idea. Many men and women might want to schedule an appointment in the evening...including the locals who work during the day or couldn't get in during a time that works for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota