U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:02 AM

70 posts, read 369,508 times

Advertisements

I never would have thought in a million years that a Supercenter would open in a town as small as Bottineau. So much for that theory.

I read a statistic recently that said something like 80% of the US population lives within 60 miles of a Wal-Mart.

When you think about it, that's an alarming statistic. I like to save money as much as the next guy, but there has to be a point where you have to ask if you are helping the greater good by shopping there. Is Walmart good or bad for America? I don't have that answer, but part of me feels a bit of guilt for shopping there.

Personally I find that there are better deals on food at Safeway with the club card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 03:37 PM

325 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Just a quick note on the opening of the Wal-Mart in Bottineau. The city website says the opening date should be sometime in February.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:18 AM

34 posts, read 32,596 times
Check your wal-mart toys to make sure they haven't been recalled due to lead paint usage and are still on the shelves!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:56 PM

979 posts, read 3,355,680 times
Ahhh...the same toys you find at Wal-mart are the same toys at Target, Macy's, K-mart, etc.. etc.. etc.. China's tainted toys are not exclusive to just Wal-mart .... another attempt by an Anti-Wal-mart warrior!!! But it doesn't fly.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:05 PM

50 posts, read 200,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler73 View Post

I read a statistic recently that said something like 80% of the US population lives within 60 miles of a Wal-Mart.

When you think about it, that's an alarming statistic. I like to save money as much as the next guy, but there has to be a point where you have to ask if you are helping the greater good by shopping there. Is Walmart good or bad for America? I don't have that answer, but part of me feels a bit of guilt for shopping there.
What's interesting about the Wal-Mart debate is that it is usually most vehemently put out there by folks who can afford to shop in neighborhood and grocery stores.

The fact of the matter is that many community retailers simply charge a significant amount above the prices you pay at Wal-Mart on a large number of items. Particularly the grocery section.

Many people live on a very limited income or even a fixed income, and while a $20 difference in a weekly grocery bill may not be much for some folks, it can be a utility bill payment for others.

Give those who rely on discount stores a break - they aren't necessarily anti-hometown, they are often simply pro-affordable living.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:50 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,143,463 times
Um, ah, not necessarily, StartingOver.

WalMart buys in huge bulk and demands the rockbottom price for doing so, so that they can "sell for less". However, the recent reality is that, if you check on prices, Kroger, Publix, and other grocery stores are actually often less, particularly in their store brands (which any $$-Conscious person tries to use) and in their BOGO and other sales and deals. Oftentimes Walmart "Rollbacks" are the standard everyday price - just assigned a "Rollback" so that they can be signed and displayed for faster sales.

I am very pro-affordable living, but much of what WalMart offers in the food department - especially meats - is what they can buy in bulk and on the cheap and is not good quality - bones, fat, etc that add to the weight/price but not to the edible content, and so forth. It may look cheaper - but the value per penny is far less than the other stores. And no, I am not a casual shopper, but I compare not just for price but for total value. Hamburger that is 30% cook-away fat or gristle is not a savings, especially when you are trying to feed a whole family a healthy diet. Pushing a bulk of overprocessed convenience foods instead of wholesome foods, 'because they are cheaper and easier' is not healthy, either.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:33 AM

50 posts, read 200,934 times
Okay.

Being as I'm currently in small town Oklahoma, I really don't have an honest point of reference to North Dakota. I just know that people are struggling here, and the local stores are priced out of the reach of most residents.

I will continue to shop at places like Wal-Mart, due to the fact that cheap cuts of meat, etc. are better than the alternative, for the most part. I didn't really want to get into a quality comparison here, simply wanted to ask that folks might want to take a look at other's situations.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:40 AM

17 posts, read 76,524 times
when you buy at wal-mart your money goes to other countrys quality is definately not there with the prices I prefer to buy american and will save for the better quality and know I do my part to keep our money and jobs here

Old 12-11-2007, 04:42 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,533,117 times
While I do shop at Walmart, I am picky what I buy. I'll buy some groceries, but not things like meat. Anything I buy at Walmart is available in other stores and I won't buy it if it's made in a third world country.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:29 PM

325 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
While I do shop at Walmart, I am picky what I buy. I'll buy some groceries, but not things like meat. Anything I buy at Walmart is available in other stores and I won't buy it if it's made in a third world country.
I probably will do the same. Walmart TP is probably as good as anyone elses, so I don't mind saving a little on the small ticket items. I also prefer quality, so I will buy quality on certain things first locally, or somewhere not too far away, and even online if there is a money back guarantee. I've read that much produce now comes from China!! I heard of toys, but not produce. I think stores should have to post where especially food comes from. I would rather buy food locally, especially poultry/pork if its locally grown. Since we don't eat red meat, thats no problem. I remember the good ol' days in North Dakota when we could go to the aunt/uncles farm and get meat/poultry/eggs/fresh cream. It seems in those days everything was free range roaming and tasted much better. So, I think Walmart has a place. Its probably better for others than me, but I do think you need to consider the quality. For certain things, to save a few bucks, sure I'll go to Walmarts, but they will not get rich off of me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or